Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ozonics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ozonic's isn't an attractant, and doesn't help you with the shot

Then why do you need it so bad? What is your projected jump in dvd sales by having this machine in the tree with you?

Welcome boys and girls to the demise of hunting as we know it.... hold on, I'm getting a tweet from Hank Parker about c'mere deer. I'll have to finish this later...

breiner11 said:
Then why do you need it so bad? What is your projected jump in dvd sales by having this machine in the tree with you?

Welcome boys and girls to the demise of hunting as we know it.... hold on, I'm getting a tweet from Hank Parker about c'mere deer. I'll have to finish this later...

Same kind of outlook the old school boys had when the compound bows started being sold and some still have

The down fall of bowhunting is we are not a group we are individuals.

They have made a decision.

I spent some time this morning talking with a CO. The question has gone both up the chain and down. The decision is that they aren't legal at this point. So if caught using one there will be some fines to pay. The DNR needs a call from Todd or Ozonics to get this taken care off one way or another so that they aren't out there selling a product to hunters that is illegal in their state. They also were puzzled why more states wouldn't reach the same conclusion when confronted with a decision concerning legality.

This again as I mentioned before is just a wider example of what goes on in the hunting industry. As was mentioned earlier that Jay Gregory who has been active for years now is endorsing ozonics in a state right next to him. He probably has no idea or cares about how Iowa looks at the product. Just another check to take to the bank. And I don't mind listening to him.

This just makes me not trust so much of the advertising that we see when you watch TV hunting shows. The endorsement that I can't understand is when Phil Phillips and Lee Lakowdky endorse carbon clothing but when confronted in the court case admitted it wasn't working. I quess you should come clean when confronted in the court system but its ok to not be honest with the public. I think they owe us an apology and should be honest. There are lots of products that fall into this catagory.

Like i said either way i could care less.But if i was too put my name out there and endorsed a product, and wanted others to use it also.I would have been the first one on the phone to the dnr and find out if its legal or not when the question came up.I kinda look at it like this.You cant legaly use an electric call to fool a deers ears.you cant legaly use an electronic decoy to fool a deers eyes.And it sounds like you cant legaly use an electronic device to fool a deers nose.No other electronic device mentioned falls into that catagory.Rangefinders,lighted sights or so on..And i have hunted with a buddy that had one with him,i never even thought about the legality of it.just one way to look at it.

Last edited:
I was going to stay out of this thread since I felt most of you probably know how I feel about it. But, I may be wrong about that.
My problem with this product isn't that it's the latest gimmick, my problem with it is I'm afraid the damn thing works as Todd say's it does!
What have we become as hunters if this type of product is allowed to be used? If somebody came up with an app that made you invisible, would you use it also? Here's Boone & Crockett's fair chase statement..........

FAIR CHASE STATEMENT
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals. [/FONT]
I've got to tell ya, if this Ozonics thing works as advertised, is it still fair chase? I don't think so. A whitetails greatest sense is it's smell, artificially take that away and what's left? Their eyesight is easy to fool, so is their hearing. Is it really so important to shoot that deer that a person can't rely on his own common senses?
I'm sure many of you remember a few years back when that outfit in Texas was offering hunts where you could shoot a deer from the comfort of your home just by clicking your mouse? There was total outrage about that and it was soon banned. Is it really that much different if you take away the animal's sense of smell?
There's a reason it's called hunting! You don't hear folks going out and saying, "I'm going deer killing"
There, I've said how I feel about it. Crucify me if you wish, all I ask is that you at least answer to yourself some of the questions I mentioned here.

seems to me, the more people that ask they local CO's and DNRs, they are getting the same response that I did.. I was just the pot stirrer that started it :drink2: But again, its one of them things as mentioned earlier..if I was promoting it that hard, I would also be the first one in line making for certain its legal in the state you hunt, not saying Id turn the lights on for everyone else.. cause apparently I did, and now that everyone else is getting the same answer, now what?

I better throw my compound in the garbage as it is a 'mechanical device'. And I use it to aid in the killing of game. Someone better ask their local CO if they are legal.
I guess we all need to go back to sticks and cat-gut bow strings!

Don't worry guys I have the solution. We will now be offering scuba gear air tanks full of compressed ozone. Just hook her up at the base of your tree and let the gas vent up through a 20 foot, Highly Portable, 1/2 inch hose and crack the valve a 1/4 turn. Refills can be purchased for $39.99. Backpack straps included. :) :) :)

I better throw my compound in the garbage as it is a 'mechanical device'. And I use it to aid in the killing of game. Someone better ask their local CO if they are legal.
I guess we all need to go back to sticks and cat-gut bow strings!

Ok in case you read my post wrong.

it is illegal to use an electronic call to fool a deers ears!
it is illegal to use an electronic decoy to fool a deers eyes!
it sounds like it is also illegal to use an electronic device to fool a deers nose.

And this is coming from the only person not associated with todd that has used the product and had the same results,as earlier stated.
The deer downwind smelled something but never did snort and run off.
I wouldnt have used it knowing it was illegal in iowa!
that is my point.
If its illegal i want to know!

Last edited:
I think Shovel hit the nail on the head. I've been on the fence about this device while reading this thread. I've been trying to come up with the right words to describe how I feel but the thing is Ozonics probably works. That's why everyone is so worked up. I mean seriously if we could get rid of a deer's nose than what else is there. It's like taking a turkeys eyesight. Most of us spray down and try and keep our scent to a minimum but we all know that if a deer gets downwind there's a very good chance your screwed. That's part of the game.

You can say we use rangefinders, lighted sights, mock scents, scent sprays, etc. etc. But none of these are eliminating or seriously scrambling their best defense against predators.

Really I still don't know what to think about whether or not it should be legal. The one's who want to hunt like this will and the one's who don't won't. But on the other hand I do believe there needs to be some lines drawn on where technology and hunting should stop.

This is just my humble opinion.

I've got to tell ya, if this Ozonics thing works as advertised, is it still fair chase?

I don't have the time to go back through but I'm almost certain I asked this same ? earlier. I think Jay and I feel pretty much the same. The more I learn about deer hunting the less I think I like it................if that makes any sense.

Soooooo you just hit the power button right before you take the shot and its legal. Just like you would on a hand held rangefinder. Or is this one of those thing if you have it with you while you are hunting its illegal?

The device was on to aid you in the harvest by fooling the deers nose and had the potential to be on when taking the shot. So if you have it with you I'm sure you will be fined. Same with an electronic decoy or call. Did you think these were legal as well? You could obviously turn these off right before the shot! To use a range finder you press the button down and release to get the yardage. Then you would have to put it down to execute the shot. Not the same. That is why the bow mounted range finders are illegal.

And the flash light arguement...WKP Todd-"They aren't aiding in the harvest anymore than a flashlight aids the hunter in getting in-position for the kill before light." Just a little friendly warning....if you use a flashlight to aid you when you take the deer you will get a ticket.

WKP- Todd - "it's no different than a cell phone, watches, thermocell, those new electronic wind detectors, red dot scopes, laser range finders, lighted sight pins, trail cameras, trail cameras that send pictures to phones (there's a real good debate waiting to happen)and lighted nocks."

Flugge replied to red dot scope question - "red dot scope is not because it doesn't project a light onto the target its the same as a crosshair. again, what i was told"

I've been told the same thing about red dot scopes and lighted sight pins.

None of the other things you listed Todd fall into the same category as the ozonics. None of the electronic devices you listed would give you the advantage over the deer senses.

As posted by jclaws-

It is illegal to use an electronic call to fool a deers ears!
It is illegal to use an electronic decoy to fool a deers eyes!
It sounds like it is also illegal to use an electronic device to fool a deers nose!

That's the impression I got from my local CO.

I have nothing against anyone I quoted above just relaying what I have been told and replying to questions asked. I enjoyed the first three WKP videos and wish Todd would have asked his local CO before assuming they were legal in Iowa. I figured from the first day I heard about them that they wouldn't be legal in Iowa. I wasn't planning on buying one anyway but was confused when I started seeing them being used in Iowa on tv and in hunting videos. Needless to say seeing them being used got me questoning my initial opinion and this thread pushed me to ask my CO. He didn't hesitate three seconds before saying it was absolutly ILLEGAL! I highly doubt that they will be legal if all the CO's asked up and down the leadership chain have agreed that under the current law they would be illegal. I still can't figure out how not one of these video guys would question the legality of the units and contact their CO. I wish no ill will on anyone but the guys on video using them better hope the DNR doesn't make examples out of them.

I guess if those still saying they have to be legal because it's a gray area or because range finders and flashlights are then that's their choice. I guess you can do whatever you want or better yet can afford. Just remember $10,000 - $20,000 in fines per trophy buck, $1500 per doe, confiscation of your deer and equipment, plus loss of hunting privileges in dozens of States. It's your choice. I would just recommend that you leave your video camera home because it might be a little incriminating.

Page 24 of the Iowa regs....

Prohibited Devices and Activities
You may not use dogs, domestic animals, bait,
radios, handguns, rifles and crossbows (except as described
below), automobiles, aircraft, electronic calls
or any mechanical conveyance or device to hunt
deer
. Paraplegics and single- or double-leg amputees
may hunt from any stationary motor-driven conveyance.
“Paraplegic” means an individual afflicted
with paralysis of the lower half of the body with the
involvement of both legs, usually due to disease or
injury to the spinal cord.
“Bait” means grain, fruit, vegetables, nuts,
hay, salt, mineral blocks, or any other natural food
materials, commercial products containing natural
food materials, or by-products of such materials
transported to or placed in an area for the purpose of
attracting wildlife. Bait does not include food placed
during normal agricultural activities.

I love how no matter what is said, we always have to compare this to other rules or hazards. The fact of it is, when asking the DNR, all kinds of them have said illegal. End of story in my mind, so why beat the dead horse any longer? If the DNR has told many of us illegal, why should we sit here and have a p!ssing match about it? All its really doing is casing some heated debate for no reason. No matter what gets said on this site, I am still going to go back to the Regs and what the DNR has told me, and many others.
I for one, will not compare this to tobacco because its hazordous, or red dot scopes, or anything like that. We have known for many years red dot scopes are legal, because they dont project light. Same as lighted pins. And rangefinders because they have to be manually turned on, and turned off to get a yardage and set aside, hence the reason Vendettas are illegal. So I guess, I just dont see why pointing fingers or being an @ss is really helping the law. I am in no way implying this, but basically, if they are illegal and its considered poaching, how would all you guys feel that use them? How would you feel about the deer you killed? Would you still be proud of it? And as Todd stated, the DNR should be worried about the poachers and real law breakers..well come on, you would be doin the same exact thing, correct me if I am wrong... Breaking the law is breaking the law, no matter how you look at it.. thats just my 2 cents

So a Couple questions for Todd..

If you decide to still use Ozonics this fall and shoot a 200incher?

A. Will it be as rewarding as it would have been giving the deer a fair chance to survive predators with his nose?

B. Do you have a emergency fund in place if the DNR decides to throw the book at you with fines? They might be hefty

Thinkin Rut said:
Page 24 of the Iowa regs....

Prohibited Devices and Activities
You may not use dogs, domestic animals, bait,
radios, handguns, rifles and crossbows (except as described
below), automobiles, aircraft, electronic calls
or any mechanical conveyance or device to hunt
deer.

Who are they to pick and choose what this means? If you take it literally tons of things fall under this law. What makes ozone machines over the top but these other things ok. Not that I want any of these rights taken away. It just seems there is a lot of gray.

I am done and I am gonna go the right way fair chase. Or what is claimed fair chase at this time.

I don't have the time to go back through but I'm almost certain I asked this same ? earlier. I think Jay and I feel pretty much the same. The more I learn about deer hunting the less I think I like it................if that makes any sense.

Yeah Karre, I seen your post saying that quite a few pages back. I was thinking the same thing back about the time we were exchanging pm's about it.

The more I learn about deer hunting the less I think I like it................if that makes any sense.

That makes absolute sense to me.:way:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom