to hold or not to hold

zvholk

Do you hold your bow the whole time your hunting, or do you have a bow hanger
My bow is hanging most of the time, but will hold it at first and last light.

I have a holder...I had a couple situations where a doe or buck snuck up on me without me realizing but they weren't shooters so it wasn't a huge deal. Like you I hold during the last hour of light.

Hang it...gets too cold to hang onto. Plus I'd probably drop it if I held it all the time. You need to be as comfy as possible when your in a stand for hours at a time...holding a bow... not comfy.

Hold it 99.9% of the time. I don't own a bow holder.

If I'm sitting, it is laying across my lap.

I stand for the first and last hour.

Depends on the stand for me. I'm usually standing for the first hour and last hour but after that it is usually on a holder unless I'm in my hang on stand.

I used to hold all the time or have it on my lap. I got a screw in bow holder last year so I hang it for the most part. Nice being able to keep my hands tucked away and warm. I'd rather have to reach for a bow and get ready to shoot than have it on my lap or in my hand and be uncomfortable the entire hunt. When I'm uncomfortable I move a lot. So its an easy decision for me!

I hold it hoping it keeps my hands warm. I have the carbon element and they claim its warm to the touch. I would say its not "warm to the touch" but I believe its not as cold as aluminum would be…….. Really I hang mine pert near all night.

I hang mine nearly all of the time. I hunt pretty open country and am glassing with binocs a lot and it's hard to hold them steady & focus with one hand and I'm always afraid it's going to slip off my lap & out of the tree if I put it in my lap.

I hang mine and if I see a buck to make me take it off the hanger I am shooting. The intial reaction I go by. If I am holding it, I might shoot a 4pt if it walked by after sitting all day.

I usually stand up holding it right away in the morning and usually for the last hour as well. I have a knapsack that I can rest the cam on while holding the bow upright so it takes the majority of the weight off of my hand. As for all day sits I hang it or put it across my lap. If I feel like I'm skylined bad or my movement will be in the deer's line of sight I will hold it sometimes too.

3-rail EZ hanger. One of bowhuntings greatest inventions... Worth every penny.

I used a holder. The last thing I want is arm fatigue when it matters most. Guys get busted from quick knee jerk reactions when reaching for a bow.

On the bow holder all the time unless I see deer working my way, hear something coming, just rattled, first 20 minutes and last 20 minutes of daylight.

On the bow holder all the time unless I see deer working my way, hear something coming, just rattled, first 20 minutes and last 20 minutes of daylight.

I am pretty close to this too. I normally have it hanging up, but will hold it during prime times.

Back