Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What do you do?

mudingbuck

PMA Member
Your buddy shoots a buck with his bow in early November, but never recovers the buck. During shotgun season about a month later while making a deer drive you find a dead buck in the same area that he shot the buck in. Do you keep it beause you found it or would you give it to the guy who shot it?

If it was indeed your buddys buck then I would let him have it. We all know how sick it feels to not recover a deer that was shot. Plus he would love you forever!

knuckledragr said:
if it was indeed your buddys buck then i would let him have it. We all know how sick it feels to not recover a deer that was shot. Plus he would love you forever!

x2 :............

I would offer it to the guy who shot it, even if he was not my friend. I don't have to much interest in a buck I did not kill.

If it was a buddy, absolutely. If it was someone I didn't know, but was trustworthy then yes again. I would not give it to someone who I didn't believe had actually shot it tho.

same as what everyone else said... Especially if its your buddies.. Thats not even a question if you should keep it for yourself..

I would see how much he would pay you for it............... are you crazy they are just antlers give them up.

Mobile Cooter using IW

Well the part to this story I didn't say was I am the one who shot it and my so called buddy found it and just wont give it up. I told him what it looked like and everything and it matches to a T. He found it less then 100 yards where we stopped looking.

The buck goes to the guy who shot it, no question. Sounds to me like whomever picked it up has a serious jealously issue and deliberately wants to keep it from where it belongs.

It blow my mind how many so-called hunters have no grasp on ethics and the unwritten code among hunters. Antler envy and greed seem to be more prevalent nowadays.... Unfortunately, legally he doesn't have to give it up, which sucks. it is just an example of his true character and doesn't deserve to even listed among your list of friends....

Too bad....

Maybe u need to rethink who your"buddies" are. Or forget about it and move on. Don't ruin a friendship over a set of antlers. One thing that may work, if you and him are part of the same hunting group, get them involved in the situation and the power of the group might make him realize he's being a moron. Here's a good one, ask him what story he's going to tell people whne they ask about the rack.

Last edited:
Did your buddy put a tag on the buck? If not he is in possession of an untagged deer which is illegal. He sounds like a moron.

I'd have to seriously question who your buddies are and it may be time for a change. Unfortunately not everyone see's things the same and it seems pretty clear that you should be able to retrieve the buck but character issues are definately in play. Good luck and move forward how you think best but I'd consider a new hunting buddy.

I've found dogs work best for me ;)

I listen to guys argue every year about who shot it first, who did the kill shot, this is one reason why I hunt alone.

If he is a good friend he should give you the deer. If not he is a dipstick, I would not what a deer I found dead if I new the person who shot the deer.

Did he call you just to rub it in or what??????

Top Bottom