Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's Happened?

Personally I think everything started going down hill when so many became to paranoid to talk about what they were seeing. I remember the 1st couple yrs after I joined when I could read about encounters others were having pretty much nightly. I think another reason is that most long time members have already discussed pretty much every hunting tactic you can think of, just not much left to say if we can't talk about what were seeing.

relax boy`s drink a cold one! the wife got me doing a honey do list, not to mention planning a trip to st maarten next spring! the things i do to go hunting.

Things have been a little slow but I think they will pick up. One look at the trail cam forum and you will see signs of activity. I think that some of the slow down is a result of fear of posting big sheds or big bucks that havent yet been harvested. There are times that I fall into that catagory.

Saskguy, I sincerely hope that you won't stop with the season report or the shed chronicles. Your input here is a huge part of what makes this site great. Please continue with them both!!:way:

I'll be pulling a trail cam in a few weeks and I hope to have something worth sharing.

"I think another reason is that most long time members have already discussed pretty much every hunting tactic you can think of, just not much left to say if we can't talk about what were seeing. ". I think the above quote also is accurate to a degree.

It will be on like donkey kong here in a month. I think back in the day when it was such a smaller site it seemed more personal. Everyone knew Everyone. I know for me personally, I went from being in college living the life to livin in the real world so I don't have as much time to go looking for deer, trail cams, etc. Also I live in an area now where I can't even find a descent buck within an hours drive. I still try though.

The one thing I miss is the nightly chat sessions. That is when I really got to know many of the members. It was also when we were able to plan bowshoots shed hunts etc and meet new people. Just messaging on the board, you really don't get to know anyone anymore. I'd like to hang out with anyone of you. If anyone is up around Mason City / Charles City area let me know!!

Another thing that I think hurts is a lot of forums. I think it is more deception than anything. There might be 10 new posts per day but spread over 15 forums it appears nothing is going on.

At the end of the day, I still love it!! Here it is 10:48pm when I should of been in bed 48 minutes ago!!!! Keep up the good work men, we all make this site what it is!!

Not to beat a dead horse but I think that the new format change hurt. I know haven't posted that much since it changed. Not to bitch,( even though I kinda am) but there is an awful lot of options to wade through just to post on a message board. I think alot of guys just said screw it. Hopefully the fall will bring it back up.

One more thing: WHERE THE HELL IS GHOST?

Yeah the software changes were a rough go. Avatars that took up most of the page, default settings that were not typical to boards, etc. I don't want to be too critical b/c I can't imagine the work that must be involved in keeping an operation of this caliber running smoothly. Just answering honestly and I hope things rebound.

I think all of you hit the nail on the head in one sense or another. Some guys we miss have had career changes that have kept them away with just enough time to keep their lives going, others have kids now or kids getting older keeping them busy with their activities. While others it's been a closer connection to the land, and wildlife that keep them at arms length with an occasional visit. The list goes on. I know I am guilty for not contributing as much as I would like lately as well with a combination of a few of the above reasons. I find every minute of my day consumed and planned for at least a week out. My career leaves me little time to check in during the day and when I do I am usually changing a profile or answering a few questions. One thing I do know is every time I check in there is something interesting and relevant to read, and every year about this time someone asks where everyone went. Like Mike said in an about a month it will be on like donkey kong.

well, I agree with much that has been said. I too have been disappointed with where things currently sit. I will also say the system change is partially to blame, however, if guys would just give it a chance, it is easier to navigate, upload photos, search things etc.

Personally, I am undergoing a career change and am temporarily unemployed and playing Mr. Mom, which consumes a lot of time. I am "Planning" on that changing for the better before too long, but in this economy, times are tough, really tough....

I am not sure where many of the senior members have gone, perhaps a change in priorities, perhaps the new system is too intimidating, kids grow up and consume more time.... sounds like life to me.....

As far as I'm concerned, this is the greatest whitetail community on earth, but this is more than a Summer Lull.... I hope and pray IW comes out of it, but just like the economy, this will only improve by participation of all members. I will do my best to up my contributions, but like Muddy, my life is about to get more interesting as #2 is due in less than a week.... :D But IW is like CRACK, I still gotta have it!!!!!!

Bring on the cooler weather!

Thomas

Hey guys, I am fairly guilty of slacking in post activity as of late too. I have to admit the new format had me reeling as I'm not a real computer genius.:grin: For me, life just seems to get faster and faster every year. Kids in sports, family vacations, food plots and farm improvements take a toll on my free time in the summer. If time allowed I would be posting away every day. Hope everybody sticks around and checks in when they can, as we all know, from October through shed season this place comes alive! Miss talking with you all and would be lost without Kaare's "chocolate from the North" posts,". :drink2::way:

I have been trying to hit the site during my 1/2 hour lunch everyday now again. I used to spend hours and hours everyday the year round on here.

I made a major career move that involves 3 hours of driving a day and a couple of teenagers that keep me very busy the rest of the time.

(My daughter is now 16 and driving if that tells you anything!)

I wouldn't worry too much about the activity level on here in about a month.

Oh, did I tell you about the monster buck I got pictures of last month? :moon:

Hey guys, I am fairly guilty of slacking in post activity as of late too. I have to admit the new format had me reeling as I'm not a real computer genius.:grin: For me, life just seems to get faster and faster every year. Kids in sports, family vacations, food plots and farm improvements take a toll on my free time in the summer. If time allowed I would be posting away every day. Hope everybody sticks around and checks in when they can, as we all know, from October through shed season this place comes alive! Miss talking with you all and would be lost without Kaare's "chocolate from the North" posts,". :drink2::way:

I have been thinking about what I want to say in this post and then I read this. I could not have said it better myself. Skully, you expresseed my thoughts better than I could have.

Would love to get my Gallery back!! I havent had time to figure out the new system fully yet. Hope to see action pick up soon as well.

Good thread!!

My thoughts are already well expressed by several, but I too would hate to see things fade away to black, this is too good a group of people here for that to happen.

Saskguy - please do your journal again, that and Dbltree's awesome food plot posts are something that I would not want to have to go without!

It will come around. I agree the new system was challenging at first but now I don't mind it. Life gets faster and faster every year. I recently got some more trail cam video's and got a pic of the big brow ten all growed up. I'll have them up soon...

I also don't like the new format,..when I upload pictures I cannot even find them. I've pretty much given up on uploading pics to the site. It's easier to do so on a different site and then post them, but being in rurual SK and not on high speed,..it's a bit of a pain.

Kaare
you can make folders under your User CP option in the albums file. Uploading and posting pics is easier than the last site once you get it down. You can upload 3 at a time!

Wow, I haven't really been on here at all since last Decamber. My life has been pure chaos for 10 months and I haven't had much free time. This new IW site is brand new to me and is a little overwhelming.

So who all is missing? Sorry to hear things are lagging. It will be hopping soon.:drink2: I am loving reading dbltree's stuff. Me and my cousin are about to do our first food plots. Lots of awesome stuff as usual in the management section:way:

I admit that I fall into the category of my summer being so friggin busy especially with my job that I definitely am not on here as much as the fall and winter. I truly can not take a day off from this site from Sept. to March though. I also admit that I do a terrible job of posting. But my question is to all the people who live in Iowa, which is the vast majority on the site, the fall off of pics of Trail Cam Bucks, Harvest photos and overall talk of certain deer is it directly related to the fear of a neighbor or poacher going after the deer you speak of. I understand that if you lease your property and you start posting pics of hogs that someone is bound to try to out bid you etc. I guess I wonder is there alot of people out there that bad situations have happend to you already? Being from Illinois I guess I do not have care in the world about what I post or speak of. Believe me I get it if it's out there I guess I never realized it was that bad. I hope the site activity improves just like everyone else. I devote all my computer time to this hunting site and this one only. I never felt the need to surf around to other sites. I hope I can say that in a few months. I know that I am rambling, sorry for that. Did want to say good job to all the moderators and members that post a ton keep it up.

Top Bottom