Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why I don't buy Late Antlerless #'s

I dont use the phone system anymore, the internet is far better, takes less than 30 seconds.... easy!

You must use a Crackberry Thomas ?? :p

Never really had a problem with the phone system but will
take a look at the internet.

I think the DNR should do a Deer Hunter Survey. Log in with your info like you do for the online reporting and fill out a survey as to what you think the seasons should or should not be. Be interesting to see the data statewide.

I posted this over in PMA forum. Thought I'd put my thoughts here for everyone to read too.

I personally believe the number is really nothing to be too concerned about. Yes it sucks to lose bucks that would have been around next year. But how many bucks are shot and killed but not recovered during all of the seasons? I bet this number is as high or maybe higher than the 1700 shed bucks shot. Plus if you break it down to deer/sq. mi. in Iowa it is pretty small loss. Even if you add another 1000 to the number as suggested above, across the state it's not that big of loss. Iowa is about 56,272 sq. miles using 2700 as the number of shed bucks shot that is way less than one shed buck per sq. mile killed(.048 shed buck/sq. mi)

Your number are flawed SWIABOONER.During the late rifle season is when most of those shed bucks were taken.That is 1/5 of the state.And when you add in that half of those square miles is towns.Just take the number for one county and do your math.Van Buren had 175 shed bucks REPORTED.Davis county had 101.Figure that.

Your number are flawed SWIABOONER.During the late rifle season is when most of those shed bucks were taken.That is 1/5 of the state.And when you add in that half of those square miles is towns.Just take the number for one county and do your math.Van Buren had 175 shed bucks REPORTED.Davis county had 101.Figure that.

Okay I'll figure that,

That is .35 shed antler bucks per sq mile in Van Buren county and .2 shed antler bucks/sq mile for Davis county. I guarantee you half of those acres are not towns in southern Iowa.
Even if you double those numbers Van Buren is less than 1 and Davis is less than half a deer/sq mile.

My point is the numbers are actually pretty small in the grand scheme of things. Like I said in my previous post, how many bucks do you think are shot and not recovered during all of the other seasons combined? I would guess that number would be greater than the number of shed bucks shot each year. It is NO different. It comes down to hunters being smart enough to know what they are shooting at and making a good shot.

My point in the square mile stats is that there is 38 counties out of 99 that had less than 10 shed bucks reported.So its hard to figure those into the facts.
I can't comment on the unfound bucks.That has to just be an uneducated guess at best.

Archery95,

You are correct my thoughts on the non recovered deer from the remainder of the seasons is a total guess. But I also think it would shock us if there was a way to know that number. After looking at the data again Van Buren and Davis counties have by far the highest number of shed buck harvested. As I've said before it really sucks losing bucks but I really don't think it something to be real concerned about. It would be nice to know how many of those deer where killed during the late antlerless season. I know last year statewide the shed buck harvest during the late season was 42% of the total shed buck harvest. So if that holds true this year, more shed bucks are killed during the late muzzy, shotgun, and bow seasons.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, just trying to get some facts out there.

Swiabooner.I am not argueing with you.As a matter of fact I have to agree to a point.But I looked at the total of shed bucks reported at 9pm on the last day of late muzzy season.The total was 820 statewide.Not terrible for 99 counties.But now there is 2235 shed bucks reported and I am sure some were shot that were reported as does.SOOOO....that is 1415 taken in the 20 counties that have the late rifle season.
I guess the reason it bothers me so much is that I live and hunt in Davis county.I used to think if I found a big shed that that buck would still have a chance to be around come October.But that isn't the case any longer.He may have been shot by some careless moron that put an antlerless tag on it.

Archery95,

I see where you are coming from totally. We'll have to wait for the final numbers to come out as to how many shed bucks were actually killed during the late antlerless season. I just wish we had some way to know the actual numbers killed and not counting on people to correctly report their kill, but I guess there is never a perfect solution. Good luck with shed hunting and keep your fingers crossed the big ones you find show up on the trail camera this summer.

Top Bottom