Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

06-07 Overkill?

avidhunter

Blake and I have seen FAR fewer deer this last year than in years past, and I can honestly say that I haven't seen that many more hunters. Which leads me to the conclusion that hunters have gone above and beyond in culling the deer population, at least in our area. So much so that we are now seeing as many young bucks as we are does.

This is not a healthy trend for the quality of the herd IMHO.

So whenever I hear insurance lobbyists and a rogue IDNR official maniacally calling for more drastic reduction efforts, I am VERY skeptical of their motives. [By rogue, I mean to say that there is at least one IDNR administrator that I completely disagree with, one who is going against the grain].

Anyhow, I'm just curious what other folks are experiencing in their areas, with regards to deer numbers after the special antlerless season?

Just wanted to add that we hunt SW Iowa, one of the targeted areas for drastic reduction
crazy.gif

I can't say the same here good #'s here in eastern Iowa lot of little bucks and plenty of the skin heads.Just can't get that big boy in bow range.

I agree. Our area has by far fewer deer. My main shed hunting spot allways has between 30 to 50 deer wintering in it. This year there are only 9, two of which are small bucks. There's never fewer than 12 bucks. I talked to the land owner and he seems to think the same way. You would think that by doing this county by county bonus doe harvest they could get a better prospective on how to do it right. I'm also curious to what other's are thinking on this matter.

I agree that numbers are down. This year I saw fewer does and seemed like more bucks, so I guess a more even sex ratio which is a good thing. I have really noticed the reduction in the last week or so with the snow and cold temps. With these conditions I would think I should be seeing deer feeding in fields everywhere and large groups of them. I've driven quite a few miles and the usual large groups just arent there. I also dont hear folks talking or complaining about how they saw "at least 100" deer over in so and so's field, which was usually an exageration to start with. Lately I cant find a group of 10.

My Land is in SE Iowa, Wapello Co. one of the supposed "Over Populated" Counties. But this past season did not look overpopulated to me, and never has, for that matter. Maybe they are thick somewhere, but can't prove it by me.

I will say the numbers are down in the area, I believe they are probably where they should be, still plenty of deer but then again I never really thought of it as a huge problem.

KRatz

SE Iowa , Davis Co. Deer numbers WAY WAY down. I hunted by myself on Saturday afternoons and Sundays from Christmas through the last minutes of Jan 21 and never had a shot at any deer, and saw only 4 or 5 from a distance for the whole time.

Too many have been taken in some areas. I still have one farm where I hunt that I think will need some extra does taken off of it next year but have most others that I hunt where I am giving all does a free pass.

I would agree - I think the days of extra does needing to be taken in my area are over. Some hunters who have enjoyed the extra shot opportunities that the anterless tags have provided may need to adjust their mentality a bit in the coming years. I have also heard some rumors in my area that our area "squirrel hunters" have been putting a serious hurtin on the deer in our state land areas this past year. I guess that would also help explain my lower sightings this past fall
mad.gif

I hunt Dubuque & northern Jones counties and I would have to say the herd is down.There is still spots that are over populated they are all owned by out of staters or locals that lease out the hunting.

I know for a fact that numbers are down in my area of southern Clayton Co.
We are doing the job as far of reducing the herd.Too good of a job, IMO.
I think its time to reduce the anterless tags and get rid of the 'bonus' seasons.

[ QUOTE ]
SE Iowa , Davis Co. Deer numbers WAY WAY down

[/ QUOTE ]

The area around my place (Davis Co.) is still polluted with deer but all the land around me is owned by hunters who do not take does.

I just got back from Ottumwa and fields were covered with deer in the moonlight.

Just down the road from my house I counted 22 deer in one field.

Very different then other areas...I wouldn't know a deer had even been shot around here
confused.gif

It's going to be difficult to micro-manage where deer continue to be a problem...and no access is available.

[ QUOTE ]
It's going to be difficult to micro-manage

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed...but I think its time.I just wish I had the plan figured out to implement it.

[ QUOTE ]
It's going to be difficult to micro-manage where deer continue to be a problem...and no access is available.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I have been "bending" the ears of our legislators. You can issue all the licenses you want, but it doesn't matter if a person can't hunt where the deer are!

deer numbers in my area Jefferson county are still good. Most areas with lots of deer are owned by out of staters or tree huggers. North of where i live a large tract of land is no hunting what so ever and the deer numbers are nuts. you can see 200 to 250 deer a night just driving. On the flip side the bucks get huge and if they dodge the poacher we get to pick up there sheds. most areas that are hunted the numbers are steady. But in order for everything to work out like it is written on paper. the large lease holders and out of state hunter need to do their job.

A buddy told me that a landowner came in and bought 29 doe tags. He asked him why. The guy said so there are 29 less to sell. Rumor maybe?? I dont know if that is even possible.

up here in MN hunting is not that good, i saw 2 deer this year, the one i shot, and another that ran past me as i was taking a lunch break
wall.gif

Top Bottom