Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

** '06 Legislative Update

ElkHunter

Life Member
Legislative Update

The Iowa legislature will be back in session soon (Jan. 9th). There are rumors of a few more changes to the deer management issue. For the last two years the legislators have been hearing only one side of the story. They claim the sportsmen of the state must be happy with the changes made because they haven’t heard from us. I think it’s time to turn up the heat, every hunter in the state should make phone calls to their legislators, not just the bowhunter, if you hunt pheasants, turkey or deer with a gun, you should know your legislator on a first name basis and have his or her phone # on your speed dial. Emails are OK but a phone call will really get their attention.

Please be polite and respectful, they will listen to your thoughts and opinions. Some of the key points that need to be expressed are:
1) Changes were made in the number of deer tags for all methods of deer hunting for resident and nonresident alike. The deer harvest should be very high if not an all time record. We should let the deer management program have a chance to work before setting off on another program.
2) Let them know if the deer numbers are down in your county. If you are seeing less deer make they need to know this. (The management program is working)
3) If you lost a favorite place to hunt due to leasing let them know about that also.
4) That you are very comfortable with the level of nonresident any sex deer tags and no increase is needed.

No need to stop at those 4 items, while you have their attention, get everything off your chest.

I have included all the information needed to contact your legislator or find out who they are.

How to Contact Your Legislator

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/

After you get to the website it is very easy to find everything you need.

List of All Legislators
Find Your Legislator (interactive search)
Maps and District Information (more information about Redistricting)

It is extremely important that the legislature hears from all sportsmen groups. Please pass this on to all your friends.

Thank you for the info.I will be getting ahold of my guy to let him know what I think.Is it better to call or email?

I've read where it's important not to be a "chronic" caller or writer, but to be heard at the right times.
I'm going to email my thoughts now and call when they have an actual bill they are considering. I would think that phone calls would be very effective at the right times, but I'm hardly an expert on the subject.
It's important to keep it simple and to the point also.

Much better to call. I do like to follow up with an email thanking them for thier consideration on the issues.

Our IBA lobbyist is crucial, but the legislators listen to thier constituents better, rightfully so.

As far as all of us Iowa hunters:

If you don't call, you have no room to complain when we get handed the next set of regulations.

Hopefully this last set of regs lit a fire under some resident butts.
crazy.gif

Top Bottom