Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1 Buck state In iowa??

Would you be FOR a 1 Buck state for iowa?

• Yes!

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • No!

Votes: 20 19.8%
  • Maybe, need to think about it.

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • I have a better idea!!! (Post below).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It just seems hypocritical to me when someone says we need to make iowa a 1 buck state, except for me - I get 2 tags. If being a 1 buck state is so great, then let's be a 1 buck state for everyone. What do the other 1 buck states do with land owners?
That being said in over 20 years of hunting iowa, I've shot 2 bucks the same year twice. There have been a few times when I've failed to get one with the bow, but gotten one with a gun, so those years I would now have to go without if we were a 1 buck state. There's also been a lot of years where I haven't gotten a buck period. I get that I'm not the type of hunter that this rule is going after, but as a person that passes way more bucks than they take, I get the short end of the stick.

I'm not a landowner, so I don't count though. I'm just a public land hunter who was a public land hunter before it was cool to be a public land hunter.

All that being said, I wouldn't be totally against this, even if you fancy landowners got 2 tags to my 1.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
In MN (1 buck state) you can get an extra doe permit if you own over (I think) 80 acres. That also comes with the caveat that you're supposed to allow the public to hunt your land if they ask. Absolute insanity.

Bucks do get their genetics from their mothers side. That is correct. So the "cull bucks running around and not getting shot and ruin the genetics" won't happen on a micro level. Different discussion when talking about macro level. Actually they get them from their mothers dad.
I haven't studied enough to agree or disagree, but let's run with it as if it's true.

The cull buck genetics will pass to it's doe offspring, which will pass their cull buck father's genetics onto their buck offspring. Therefore proving my point, just 2 generations out instead of 1.

If we went to a 1 buck tag state, would it be a floating tag, across all seasons until I fill it, or would I have to pick a season?

In MN (1 buck state) you can get an extra doe permit if you own over (I think) 80 acres. That also comes with the caveat that you're supposed to allow the public to hunt your land if they ask. Absolute insanity.
I have zero idea- do they have doe tags like iowa?

I haven't studied enough to agree or disagree, but let's run with it as if it's true.

The cull buck genetics will pass to it's doe offspring, which will pass their cull buck father's genetics onto their buck offspring. Therefore proving my point, just 2 generations out instead of 1.

If we went to a 1 buck tag state, would it be a floating tag, across all seasons until I fill it, or would I have to pick a season?
I think it would have to be floating- but eliminate party hunting (pure thought- no idea)

I have zero idea- do they have doe tags like iowa?
Yes, in the 200 series area where my land is, you get one either/or tag for the license fee of $28 and can buy one "bonus" antlerless tag for $15. So I can shoot two deer in my area no matter the weapon. If I don't fill my tags with archery I have to buy another license to gun hunt and then another license to muzzle loader hunt, all to fill the same two tags but the state creates revenue for the 3 license sales. Absolute insanity.

Now if you're in a CWD zone you can shoot unlimited does for $3/tag and multiple bucks if you abide by the different hunting periods/times for the "special" CWD seasons.

Last edited:
I don’t think the Iowa DNR wants to end party hunting. The harvest numbers would go down. On a video on YouTube.., I remember a DNR employee saying it’s very important regulation that adds deer to the harvest numbers.

It’s also very popular with families/farmers/hunters that maybe are not considered “die hards”!

Personally I don’t really care, but my guess is it will not be eliminated!

Yes, in the 200 series area where my land is, you get one either/or tag for the license fee of $28 and can buy one "bonus" antlerless tag for $15. So I can shoot two deer in my area no matter the weapon. If I don't fill my tags with archery I have to buy another license to gun hunt and then another license to muzzle loader hunt, all to fill the same two tags but the state creates revenue for the 3 license sales. Absolute insanity.

Now if you're in a CWD zone you can shoot unlimited does for $3/tag and multiple bucks if you abide by the different hunting periods/times for the "special" CWD seasons.
Thank you- I had zero idea!

So, self admittedly, you buy 3 buck tags annually, and would buy 2 if the state limited everyone to 1, (1 statewide & 1 landowner).

Why wait for legislation to regulate the # of tags you buy? Why doesn't everyone in support of this put their money where their mouths are and only buy 1 buck tag from this point forward? Why haven't they already only been buying 1 buck tag?

The state is interested in keeping #s in check and providing greater opportunity and incentive to ALL HUNTERS, more than they are in making Iowa a TROPHY BUCK state.

If you only buy 1 buck tag already, good for you. You're putting your convictions into action, which is better than most people ever do for anything.
I have for years. My goal is to shoot ONE good buck a year. The remaining tags I either target management bucks or usually party hunt & sit with a guy that doesn’t have a place to hunt. Or - the most likely scenario- I don’t buy my 3rd buck tag. So- I am doing this. But that’s not going to make a difference across the state if regulations don’t reflect it. Regulations DEFINE the actions of hunters. If we allowed rifle hunting at night with thermals for deer…. Guys would do it. Or rifles in middle of rut. Whatever. If I don’t participate - meaningless as general public will and resource will be destroyed. Why we have regulations. Without regulations - we literally took every big game animal off the landscape of the Midwest for decades. Regulations define what makes states good or bad & impact any animal more than any other issue.
But yes, in a round about way I have already done this.

***ADDING A BUCK TAG!!!!! Let’s flip this around….. if reducing buck tags is problematic…. Will cause issues u mentioned…. What’s thoughts on ADDING A BUCK TAG?!?! Every resident gets 3 vs 2. Should be better on issues u pointed to that 1 buck would hinder. Thoughts????

I’ll throw one more curve ball out….
“The evil land owner that restricts access & only lets so many & certain deer be shot on their land”. Good bad or indifferent- there’s lots of them & they are growing in #….

Why are there more folks like this?
& as much as some can say “those are bad trophy hunters” …. Let’s try to understand why it’s happening. & even if it was only 1% of hunters & the other 99% hated them- it doesn’t matter because it’s a fact that no one can stop them- like it or not. Better to understand the motives…..

WHY!!!?!?!?!! WHY these guys buy up land & tie up access…. Examples of why: When guys say “I don’t like trophy hunters” & “we are going to blast the young bucks & I don’t give two craps about other hunters”. Or “who gives a crap if these regulations hurt the balance & quality of the herd!” Whatever …. when the RESULT IS: a decreasing # of “trophy bucks” (which again, is really just a way to degrade people who want a balanced deer herd with some mature animals in it)….. THAT is what triggers guys to get aggressive on buying more land. THAT creates a frenzy. THAT is why the shotgun group that shot every little buck & didn’t care can’t hunt their spots anymore. Right wrong or indifferent- that’s why it’s happening. Politicians create laws that DEGRADE the deer herd - more guys will buy up land to insulate from the crazy regulations. Period. The two are directly related!!!!
Why are coops forming ? Cause neighbors say “the government, regs & hunters don’t do it right- don’t have balanced age structure & a healthy herd, so we have to do it ourselves & self limit!” & I don’t blame the guys wanting to protect the resource near like I do the public & government that imposed insane regulations. Go to states the regulations ruined …. The land is tied up WAAAAYYYYY worse than iowa. U think it’s bad here?!?!?! Ha!!!!!! Go to MI, MO, MN, IL, etc…, access is off the charts impossible or expensive!!! WHY???? Because folks of that state, out of desperation said “if I don’t tie something up, I’ll have no place to have quality hunting!!!” Ruin this state further or don’t lift it up & id strongly argue, access will get considerably worse than it already is. Right wrong or indifferent- that’s just facts.

For the record- i wish there was less need to tie up land. I wish the regulations were so good, folks didn’t have the need to do it. I do feel like going to 1 buck would increase quality for EVERYONE across whole state and slow or reduce the need to Lockdown ground. Access & these issues would be helped overall big time IMO

There is no EASY answer.
Some benifit/some lose.
Just like everything in life.
Growing up in MN, when young, I LOVED party hunting. Was great shooting 10_15 deer a year. (Chest_Thump).
Now days, other then shooting multiple does for management purposes, I'm glad we are a one buck state.

Party hunting is too near and dear to my heart to do away with it. It's an ancient hunting practice too. Plus it's necessary in IA to keep #'s in check.
Party hunting is not the same thing as deer drives (ancient hunting practice). I'm not a fan, Personally, of deer drives, but I'm not advocating getting rid of deer drives. Party hunting, as defined by the DNR, allows you to tag a deer you shoot with someone else's tag. THAT, I do advocate getting rid of. Two very separate things.

Not allowing the sharing of tags in a party would end party hunting.

I filled my tag. Good luck filling yours fellas. See ya next year.

I think you missed my point where I said "Micro vs Macro".. Yes, eventually you're correct. On the Macro level. Couldn't agree more!

I have for years. My goal is to shoot ONE good buck a year. The remaining tags I either target management bucks or usually party hunt & sit with a guy that doesn’t have a place to hunt. Or - the most likely scenario- I don’t buy my 3rd buck tag. So- I am doing this. But that’s not going to make a difference across the state if regulations don’t reflect it. Regulations DEFINE the actions of hunters. If we allowed rifle hunting at night with thermals for deer…. Guys would do it. Or rifles in middle of rut. Whatever. If I don’t participate - meaningless as general public will and resource will be destroyed. Why we have regulations. Without regulations - we literally took every big game animal off the landscape of the Midwest for decades. Regulations define what makes states good or bad & impact any animal more than any other issue.
But yes, in a round about way I have already done this.

***ADDING A BUCK TAG!!!!! Let’s flip this around….. if reducing buck tags is problematic…. Will cause issues u mentioned…. What’s thoughts on ADDING A BUCK TAG?!?! Every resident gets 3 vs 2. Should be better on issues u pointed to that 1 buck would hinder. Thoughts????
I don't advocate for adding a buck tag, but I don't see it contributing to the issues I stated about decreasing buck tags.

If you are one of the people buying up and locking down private property for yourself, why push for infringing on the rights of all hunters state wide? You're managing your property the way you see fit. Most don't and won't ever have that luxury.

I hear all of the speaking points, I just don't agree with most of them.

I'm a land owner as well and could buy 3 tags. I personally usually only buy 2 any sex tags. Most years I don't fill a single buck tag and shoot a doe or 2( to picky). My point being I don't think the amount of buck tags needs to change but if it did would need to be for any season which will kill the dnr budget. What I think needs to change is all these changes in weapons. I can't stand all these extra weapons being added to bring more people to hunting BS. We need to go back to just bow, shotgun, and muzzleloader seasons. Honestly with the way these new high dollar muzzleloaders shoot they are just as good as rifles. Maybe we shouldn't allow smokeless muzzleloaders I don't know. I'm just saying I hate all the new weapons being allowed for deer hunting now. Damn insurance companies and lobbyists need to get out of our hunting!

Here's a thought, is every anysex tag sold in iowa ALWAYS used and ALWAYS used on a buck? No they're not. If you think going to a one buck limit will suddenly make 180 to 200 inch B&C deer available everywhere you hunt, pinch yourself so you'll wake up from the dream you're having.
Let's not forget the landowners are the ones who furnish a large amount of habitat and food, so the rest of us can have quality deer to hunt.

Top Bottom