Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2006 shotgun kill. Saturday morning at 7:30 a.m.

waytogo.gif
Great Brows....

Can't beat the smell of freshly fallen deer in the morning... breakfast of champions. Congrats on an awesome buck.

This season was the season of good luck and horrible luck. Lets start with the good luck. Woke up Saturday morning at 5:00 a.m. Every year my father and I head to the local Hy-Vee to have the breakfest special and boy was it good. lol. We got done with breakfest and waited for light to peak out before we entered the woods. The woods that we were hunting was our family farm and all I had to do was walk about 300 yards outside of the parents house. I got to my ground blind around 7:00 that morning and got everything set up. Since it was going to be a cold morning I made sure I had enough close on for the cold blistering morning. Once I got situated, I decided to hit up the grunt call because the rut was still going on. Twenty minutes later I still hadn't seen a single deer and this was a little weird. I usually have deer located somewhere around me, since the stand allows me to view a wide area. So I decided to hit the grunt call a couple of more times. Then all of a sudden I heard something in the timber in front of me. I took a closer look and noticed a good sized bucked that was walking up a trail and appeared to be looking for does. So I hit the grunt call a couple more times and got the bucks attention. This was a bad mistake. The deer suddenly turned and started walking away from me and up another trail. I gave him five more yards and the deer walked right into a clearing. The only bad thing is that the deer was 150 yards away. This was a big scare to me because the last thing in the world I wanted to do was wound a big buck. Then I thought back to the bullets that I was shooting and they were the Hornady SST 20 gauage slugs. They aren't supposed to drop an inch at 150 yards. I pulled up and fired. What a horrible shot!!! The deer wasn't fazed by the shot and kind of walked away. Thats when I fired again. This time he was mine. I buck stopped in his tracks. I got up and let out a big ole wooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh. lol. I didn't know how big the buck really was till I got down to see him. I was totally blown out of my mind. I had shot the buck that we had been seeing in the game tracker.

Monday morning proved to be a different story. I had a buck 100 yards away that was bigger and wider than the buck I had already killed. Since we still had 3 buck tags left I decided to shoot. I thought I put the best shot on the deer in the world. The big ole' buck reard up and kicked like a horse. I knew I killed him. The sad news is that he ran away and didn't stop running. My dad and brother believe that I gut shot him. We tracked him for a half mile before we ran out of light and blood. This was the worst feeling in the world. I had a great hunt and this ruined the entire hunt.

Well atleast I got something to brag about.

Anyone had any luck with gut shot deer.

Great buck. I have had some bad luck in the past with gut shots as well as many of my friends. Give them time and be quiet when tracking to maybe get another shot on it if it is bedded.

Very nice buck!
cool.gif

The gut shot one is a tough deal...it happens. Need to give em 24 hours and then hope you can find him before the yotes or other hunters.

Real tough when they don't leave much of a blood trail. Most likely will circle back if not pushed hard...keep and eye out for crows.

When they gather and start yelling "dinner's ready"...good place to go look
grin.gif

Good luck finding the second one and congrats on the first one!
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom