Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

.350 Legend

My son killed a doe with his 350 Legend last weekend. I kept whispering to wait for her to turn broadside, but he apparently got nervous and shot while she was still quartering towards. Very lethal shot, in the shoulder and angled backward. Entry and exit holes were both pencil sized. Found absolutely not a drop of blood, so slowly walked the direction she ran and she was crumpled up after 80 yards. Inside ribcage it blew a hole probably golfball size or slightly larger. Impressed with the kill. Not impressed with zero blood trail. Jury still out for me. 180 grain Winchester Super X. We have the Bear Creeks but didn't shoot them yet.

I shot a Ruger bolt action over the weekend. Really enjoyed shooting it, but there were constant cycling issues with ammo. Rounds seem to hang up short or try to load into the barrel at a sharp upward angle. Got the shooting done that I wanted, but is this just the "norm"? Was considering getting one, but want to do more homework. I've heard AR platform can be even worse (but I haven't witnessed myself, so.........)

I've been looking at both the 350 and 450. I wanted a tack driving stand gun back before these were legal and got the 20 ga savage 220 which I love, but hate the sabot availability (price hurts too, but don't shoot a lot). I know deer die with any gun when you hit them right, but its always nice to have some forgiveness as things don't always go as planned - from reports I've heard on the 350 has very small holes, limited knockdown, etc so that concerns me the most with that option. I like the low recoil and how it's quieter, which is good for upcoming kids I'll have to get out hunting in a couple years. The 450 I've heard you don't want to shoot it without hearing protection or you'll regret it, but great knockdown. Also heard it kicks like a 12 gauge, which I'm used to the recoil so not a huge deal. Wish there was something popular in between! I am by no means a gun guy, but pictures of the rounds don't look drastically different so surprises me there's so much more noise and recoil to the 450. Maybe I'm getting bad info too, can never rule that out anymore from the internet. I keep going back and forth which one I'd want to go with...

I can tell you my 450 in the AR platform does NOT have 12 ga recoil. The kick is consistent with a 20 ga. It is loud but 20 ga recoil.

I agree the studies have shown the 450 kicks like a 20 gauge. I bought the cva cascade 450 but haven't shot it yet.

I've been looking at both the 350 and 450. I wanted a tack driving stand gun back before these were legal and got the 20 ga savage 220 which I love, but hate the sabot availability (price hurts too, but don't shoot a lot). I know deer die with any gun when you hit them right, but its always nice to have some forgiveness as things don't always go as planned - from reports I've heard on the 350 has very small holes, limited knockdown, etc so that concerns me the most with that option. I like the low recoil and how it's quieter, which is good for upcoming kids I'll have to get out hunting in a couple years. The 450 I've heard you don't want to shoot it without hearing protection or you'll regret it, but great knockdown. Also heard it kicks like a 12 gauge, which I'm used to the recoil so not a huge deal. Wish there was something popular in between! I am by no means a gun guy, but pictures of the rounds don't look drastically different so surprises me there's so much more noise and recoil to the 450. Maybe I'm getting bad info too, can never rule that out anymore from the internet. I keep going back and forth which one I'd want to go with...
Check out the 360 Buckhammer link I posted a couple messages before this. Issue there is going to be availability of ammo until it becomes popular, if it does. Henry is already selling lever actions chambered in it.

360 doesn't seem too different from the 350 Legend ballistics really. Platform would be different.
450 and 20 gauge sabot is pretty much the same bullet - just moving faster out of the 450.
I find it interesting on legal from a size perspective. 357 or larger. 350 Legend is actually a bit smaller which is right on par with the 9mm. So yes it is small hole. There are a lot of 9mm hollow points for self defense and hardly any 350 Legend hollow points readily available.
I have shot deer with 450 and 350. No doubt the 450 hits harder but the 350 is very capable.

Top Bottom