Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

6.5' vs. 5.5' box

Hey guys, just wondering your thoughts on a 6.5' box vs. 5.5' box on a truck. Might be getting into the market for a newer/different used truck with a crew cab, and as you probably know, most crew cab trucks these days (1/2 ton) have a 5.5' box if you want the bigger cab (I believe Dodge and Chevy have two options -- bigger doors/cab, smaller box, or smaller doors/cab, bigger box, while Ford just has one crew cab but 2 box sizes). I might not be fully up on all options and may vary according to year. Anyway, I currently have an extended cab with 6.5' box and am wondering if the 5.5' would be a nuisance when hauling larger loads. Obviously it wouldn't always make a difference as I don't always have the bed full, but I do sometimes (i.e. hauling square bales (25 if stacked 3 levels over the bed sides).

For me...I would go crazy with the 5.5' box. I have deliberately purchased the last 2 trucks I have owned with a 6.5' box and I have been very satisfied with that. That extra foot doesn't sound like much, but it is to me.

6.5' all the way!!

It was hard enough for me to go from a 8' box to a 6.5 box. I would NEVER get a 5.5 box. Nope, no way. That's just me.

6.5 with a toolbox and there isn't much room left. Can fit a quad in with the tailgate down. Wouldn't go any smaller myself.

6.5'. I just got a new '16 F150 at work and I am not sure how I am going to fit everything in it with the 6.5'. It has a tool box and that takes up most of the space in front of the wheel wells. The new deep boxes also only leave you with about 5 inches underneath. I am also going to go ahead and take the spare out from underneath and put it in the bed. The last two flats we have had, we had to cut and break parts to get the spares out. I like the amount of room in the back seat though. If I could, I would take the back seat out and use the back for more storage.

I have a 5.5 on my ford. It's never bothered me but I don't haul much. Take it north on fishing trips all the time and there is more than enough room to haul 4 adults and all the gear needed. Maybe if I owned a 4 wheeler instead of a side by side I'd wish I had the extra foot.

I have had a 5.5 on my last 3 trucks, LOVE IT. However I pull trailers if I need to haul anything big. Bedliner in the back, handles what I need. I pull trailers everyday at work, so pulling one to do what I need doesnt seem to phase me. I am shopping for a topper for my 2016, wish those were cheaper!

Looks like Dodge and Chevy have the longer box option for the true crew cab (bigger), but only starting with 2014 and up. Not likely to get that new with the current budget.

Wife thinks the 5.5' is ok since I don't fill the box all the time, which is true. I'm just thinking of the times I do. Regarding hauling hay, I don't haul regularly as I'm only hauling when I have to deliver hay to someone I sold to. However, if something changes (kiddos/wife want horses or 4H cattle) and we start buying hay, then I'll be hauling more often I'm sure. Don't have an ATV/UTV (yet), so don't have to worry about that right now. I can see the 5.5' working most of the time, but again, what about those times that I just need a little extra space?

For those with the crew and 6.5' box, any issues with the wheelbase (i.e. turning around, parking)? I think they're probably about the same as a 3/4 ton crew with short box. Actually, I've told the wife a few times that we should get a 3/4 ton so we don't have to worry about any load we might want to put on it (and I'd get the longer box!). Price goes up on those tho.

Have had 5.5 for over 10 years with very little issue. Bought a hitch carrier that goes along when 3 hunt. Can get 3 stands, clothes, packs, and game cart in 5.5 under a hard tonneau cover. Hitch carrier is used if a deer needs a ride home.

I have a Chevy crew cab 2500HD, I do not enjoy driving it in the city where its tight parking. They don't corner real tight and they are pretty long. It's a 2006 so maybe the newer ones are better.

I would check out the room in the back seat especially if your kids are still in car seats. Might give up the box with ford but they have a ton of room back there and it sounds like you will be hauling kids more then hay. I haven't looked at Chevy or dodge since 2010 when I bought my ford but back then the only truck that could compete with fords crew cab interior space was the dodge mega cab. Might not be a big deal for you but it was the deciding factor for me. Just a thought.

My Chevy easily holds 3 car seats for my kids. Have also sat back there for a 12hr trip to Canada with no issues.

Looks like Dodge and Chevy have the longer box option for the true crew cab (bigger), but only starting with 2014 and up. Not likely to get that new with the current budget.

Wife thinks the 5.5' is ok since I don't fill the box all the time, which is true. I'm just thinking of the times I do. Regarding hauling hay, I don't haul regularly as I'm only hauling when I have to deliver hay to someone I sold to. However, if something changes (kiddos/wife want horses or 4H cattle) and we start buying hay, then I'll be hauling more often I'm sure. Don't have an ATV/UTV (yet), so don't have to worry about that right now. I can see the 5.5' working most of the time, but again, what about those times that I just need a little extra space?

For those with the crew and 6.5' box, any issues with the wheelbase (i.e. turning around, parking)? I think they're probably about the same as a 3/4 ton crew with short box. Actually, I've told the wife a few times that we should get a 3/4 ton so we don't have to worry about any load we might want to put on it (and I'd get the longer box!). Price goes up on those tho.

I'm late to the party, but would like to offer my thoughts.

I absolutely would go 3/4 ton. Your towing capacity and payloads go up vs. a 1/2 ton. You can option out a 1/2 ton to be more expensive as a diesel 3/4 ton. If you don't need the diesel, all 3/4 ton manufacturers have a gas option.

As far as box length, a 6.5' box is nice if you tow 5th wheel trailers or plan to do some serious hauling. If just general hunting or fishing use, you'll get by fine with a 5.5' box.

I drive a Nissan Titan with the 5.5' box and it works fine for everything I do. Hauled plenty of fishing gear, hunting gear, and deer in the back. I do wish I had a 3/4t for towing 10,000lbs + but don't have the immediate need to upgrade.

Today's new half ton pick ups are basically the 3/4 ton trucks of 10 years ago as far as capability goes. The new 3/4t diesels are up near 17,000lbs of towing where as the half tons max out at about 11,500.

Today's new half ton pick ups are basically the 3/4 ton trucks of 10 years ago as far as capability goes. The new 3/4t diesels are up near 17,000lbs of towing where as the half tons max out at about 11,500.

I would disagree with this statement above. My 2012 F250 is a lumber wagon literally, I use it to log part time. I pull loads out that are 15,000 pounds and up. A 3/4 ton suspension is just that much more than a 1/2 ton but like I say you feel it. I honestly never get a smooth ride not unless I am pulling a load. My box is 6.5 and loaded with split firewood it works great and it's a full load when stacked properly.

I would take a 1/2 ton for hunting or just driving to the city or whatever but a 3/4 ton is a work truck is the difference so depends what your doing with it most the time.

I'll be that guy! TOYOTA! Love mine, available in 2 box lengths. And yes even on older models. (mines an 08) Got rid of my Chevrolet after 2 fouled spark plugs in 2 years, do some research! 07-12 1/2 tons (5.3l)have problems with the shutdown cylinders. Say what you will but mine had 55,000 miles. And I know others with the same problem. Bad design IMO unless your driving a high percentage of hwy miles. Shuts down to 4 cyl constantly even when driving in town. I had LTZ model and watched the computer switch on and off between 4-8 cyl.

I'll be that guy! TOYOTA! Love mine, available in 2 box lengths. And yes even on older models. (mines an 08) Got rid of my Chevrolet after 2 fouled spark plugs in 2 years, do some research! 07-12 1/2 tons (5.3l)have problems with the shutdown cylinders. Say what you will but mine had 55,000 miles. And I know others with the same problem. Bad design IMO unless your driving a high percentage of hwy miles. Shuts down to 4 cyl constantly even when driving in town. I had LTZ model and watched the computer switch on and off between 4-8 cyl.

I'll second you on the Toyota. Bought a Tundra crew max last spring after driving a Silverado my whole adult life. I'll never go back! The crew max with reclining seats is priceless for my boys. I love it when we are all 4 in the truck and nobody feels cramped. The truck will tow a house too and has a very comfortable ride. And....it is more of an American made truck than the other 3!!! :D

You can fit a 7' fishing rod in a 5.5' box.

My two cents, I have a ram. There really nice trucks if you get a 2012 or newer. I have the v6 and get 23mpg around here, and the biggest thing I tow is a 17.5' boat and it pulled that to leech and back just fine. Got 14mpg doing it to. And there cheaper then Chevy/Ford.

Top Bottom