It can be tough, in fact in a way I am not looking forward to vacation a little next week due to all day sits lol. Fortunately I have a couple spots that I can expect to see deer throughout the day, never really going more than a couple hours without seeing something so that helps a lot.
One of the places I hunt is about an hour drive from home, so to me to drive out there to hunt I am going to make it an all day event. And I don't want to get down to go get something to eat in town because that means just twice as much pressure going in and out in one day. I like going in in in the dark and coming out in the dark to keep my own movement and limit bumping deer and limit leaving scent etc. That's a big reason why I will just sit all day in itself. Plus its just a pain to hike back to the truck, change out of my hunting gear etc, then come back and have to change again etc etc, you get the point.
1. Snacks for sure. Like others said, try to ration yourself and don't just eat it all at once. Its exciting knowing you have a little snack coming up in X amount of minutes.
2. Amp yourself up. Sounds weird, but I will sometimes just try to focus real hard and be on high alert and just scanning the woods etc. expecting to spot a deer and see Mr. Big coming in at any moment.
3. Day dream.
4. Go on and off with sitting and standing.
5. Day Dream.
6. Don't think of it as one big long sit. You know the first probably 3 hours of the day you have really good odds of encounters etc. Aft that its just a couple hours until lunch, then just a couple more hours until it gets closer to evening.
7. Smartphone. This will be my first year having a smartphone so that will help breakup the boredom.
8. Watching the birds/squirrels. I know a lot of people hate squirrels, I like them, they are fun to watch.
9. Nap. I usually do set aside a little bit of time where I will try and close my eyes for 30 minutes or so. I usually am able to just put my head back and doze off or lean forward and rest my heads on my hands and have my harness hold me tight.
It is amazing though how fast sometimes the day will go by. Its also sort of weird after doing a few days in a row how its like all these things are happening in the world and you are just in the timber and don't see any of the real world stuff.