Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

All day sits

I knew this guy in Minnesota that was so serious he sat all day, then slept in his box stand 7x10 overnight.

He had nice property but was concerned he'd spook deer in and out from his stand.

He did end up shooting a 186 inch one year. I thought it was a bit extreme.

He ain't the only one ;). Hard to get to a great morning spot on food. insulated box blind with a good sleeping bag.... that's a good nights rest. :)

• Deleted by Sasada
  • Reason: wrong
Show…
I can say I just force myself through it. Last year a sat 5 days straight dawn to dark. There is no doubt its ROUGH. However, the way I see it, every minute longer I sit there is every minute closer to seeing a deer. Couple years ago I shot a 180 on November 9th at 1:45pm. It was in the upper 50s out, zero wind, baking in the sun, and my bare socks on the foot rest of my stand. 4 of my bigger I harvested between 10am and 3pm. I just refuse to get out and stir stuff up so I can take a rest. Some tricks I use is to visit the dollar store and stack up on some junk food. I also take a bottle of diet mountain dew and Excedrin (for the caffeine) with me to help from falling asleep. I must also mention that almost every place I hunt is pushing 1hr away. Obviously i am not the baddest dude out there but I'll be darned if i eat tag soup because i didnt hunt hard enough. Give it hell, you got this!!

I like to take coffee with me. I have sat all day with nothing to eat many times. Sat all but the first two hours today. Dead til after 2

I've never been able to make it. I'm telling myself tmrw is the day lol. I will be in the thick stuff about 50 yards down wind of the bedding. Hopefully there's some cruising going on to keep me occupied.

My problem is that I have a camera about 50 yards upwind of my stand and I what point do I check it lol. Do I do it before daylight and risk leaving a scent trail where I'm expecting the deer to be traveling, do I climb down if I get bored mid day, or do I just grab it on the way out after dark?

Pros and cons.......

There could be a target buck on it cruising during mid day and may just give me that extra motivation to stay in the stand.

OR.........

There could be nothing on it mid day and there goes the motivation.

Maybe the thought of winning the "IW deer championship" will be the only motivation I need :)

I've done 3 all day sits so far, but only if the weather, wind and situation is right. My dad didn't know a lot about hunting, but he instilled patience in me at an early age.

I do the same as others, smart phone, snacks, daydream, and think to myself, "man I hope a deer doesn't go right there, where I didn't trim those branches) lol!, etc. It sounds weird, but I'll talk to myself (in a whisper or in my head), about the scenario, what I'll do in this or that situation and I'll make plans A, B and C for the upcoming days. Helps me to mitigate issues and keeps me focused instead of letting my mind wander. But mainly I just try to tell myself it can change at any second.

Location is key to keeping the activity/ focus high. I personally don't get tied up staring at my phone, reading or any of those things knowing big boy could show up any second. Last thing I want to do is spend all day out there and not be prepared when the moment is right. I also never leave the stand. Too many stories where the buck shows up right after you leave. Why take the chance? Buddy of mine kills a lot of big deer between 11-2. To each their own but "meyeri" and I seem to hunt all day the same way. Keeping your mind in the game. Playing out scenarios, glassing the area. Another thing I like to do is use the range finder and range 20ish trees then look again with naked eyes and try to remember the yardage. Gives me something to do while fine tuning exact yardage when the moment comes. At this point everyday and all day have an opportunity for big boy to be dogging a doe. Just takes one hot momma and it can happen any second! Hang in there!

Made it until 1130 lol. The farm owner started combining the field I was hunting so I bailed. Two small bucks. One at 930 and one at 10. Card pull showed target buck is still nocturnal.

Do you guys ever switch stands during an all day sit?
Yes. If the wind changes you about have to. Otherwise, I remember a hunt a few years back where I just felt like I needed to be in a different area and I moved and had a super hunt...based on a hunch.

Location is key to keeping the activity/ focus high. I personally don't get tied up staring at my phone, reading or any of those things knowing big boy could show up any second. Last thing I want to do is spend all day out there and not be prepared when the moment is right. I also never leave the stand. Too many stories where the buck shows up right after you leave. Why take the chance? Buddy of mine kills a lot of big deer between 11-2. To each their own but "meyeri" and I seem to hunt all day the same way. Keeping your mind in the game. Playing out scenarios, glassing the area. Another thing I like to do is use the range finder and range 20ish trees then look again with naked eyes and try to remember the yardage. Gives me something to do while fine tuning exact yardage when the moment comes. At this point everyday and all day have an opportunity for big boy to be dogging a doe. Just takes one hot momma and it can happen any second! Hang in there!

Instead of a true "all day" sit, I have gone from 11.00a to close a few times with good results.

When i was mid 20’s - I’d do them all the time. I don’t quite have the “go hard” mentality quite to that extreme anymore. I should but I don’t. A little also is knowing some times that it is a waste of time.

Nov 5 to into the 20th’s, cold days, I’d sit all day if i had the patience and energy. In my 20’s I’d recall doing like 10 days in a row of all dayers. I do recall after 2 or 3 I was “used to them”. Looking back, few of those days were pry not needed.
Now- likely, I’ll probably do 3-4 on the best days. More the better, no doubt. It’s managing the energy and mental energy for me. I will NOT get “totally burnt out” but I’d say, for a variety of reasons, 75% of folks i know wanting to “hunt hard” DO NOT end up putting in the time and energy they thought they could. Cannot finish the “marathon” and Toss in the towel early.
All of Nov is super exciting for me - wanna still have plenty of excitement and drive left to go out in late Nov & hunt hard. Will do all day hunts but pacing myself a bit.

When i was mid 20’s - I’d do them all the time. I don’t quite have the “go hard” mentality quite to that extreme anymore. I should but I don’t. A little also is knowing some times that it is a waste of time.

Nov 5 to into the 20th’s, cold days, I’d sit all day if i had the patience and energy. In my 20’s I’d recall doing like 10 days in a row of all dayers. I do recall after 2 or 3 I was “used to them”. Looking back, few of those days were pry not needed.
Now- likely, I’ll probably do 3-4 on the best days. More the better, no doubt. It’s managing the energy and mental energy for me. I will NOT get “totally burnt out” but I’d say, for a variety of reasons, 75% of folks i know wanting to “hunt hard” DO NOT end up putting in the time and energy they thought they could. Cannot finish the “marathon” and Toss in the towel early.
All of Nov is super exciting for me - wanna still have plenty of excitement and drive left to go out in late Nov & hunt hard. Will do all day hunts but pacing myself a bit.

Sucks getting old huh Skip

I do 3 to 5 a season and it's tuff. You just have to remember why you are out there. At the end of the day if you feel like you haven't accomplished something, you probably need to find another hobby. I carry binos and a bird book. Squirrels where I hunt must be related to Steve Martin, they crack me up. Fresh air and sunshine or wind and crappy rain, I would much rather be out in the timber than dealing with all of the crazies. Always pack your munchies, pee bottle and plenty of water.

Concentrating is hard work! (At least that's what I tell my wife. :rolleyes: ) And if you're not concentrating you're likely wasting your time...

Hunting is supposed to be fun. I cant see killing yourself trying to enjoy the best part of the year. I found that if I took a break from the stand when I needed it I returned fresh and focused .

Top Bottom