Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

am I wrong?

I noticed your "better" mount went with the white eye option and the other did not. That makes some difference, but doesn't make or break the mount in my opinion. I'm sure it saves some money by not using the eyes with the white corners as well.

NWBuck

The next buck you get mounted, if you catch some crap again, be sure to let the local guy know why you're not going to him. Maybe he just doesn't know his work sucks, lol. Its worth the extra 2 or 3 hundred bucks to get a quality mount that will last. I'd get a nice cape and have your good taxi redo that buck your local guy f'd up.

What taxi did the good mount? I think i have a good idea who the other guy is cuz i was also an ass for not shopping local

Last edited:
The second deer has no paint work done around the eyes! Too many guys think they can watch a video on taxidermy and overnight become a taxidermist.

I don't think you are wrong at all. Supporting small town business is always great but if they aren't doing a good job, they need to learn what it will take to learn more about their craft and keep getting better. Another very noticeable part of the deer when looking at a great mount to one that is just so so is the mouth. I don't have any pictures to tell you what I'm talking about but on good mounts, the mouth (top lip) seems to be tucked or rolled up and under and looks clean compared to some bad mounts that almost seem like they get it close and then use black paint or something to finish it up.

After going to the Deer Classic a few years back I will NEVER skimp on quality taxidermy work. Some of the best taxidermy work i have ever seen along with some of the worst I've ever seen in a span of 5 minutes. Some of the biggest deer (250"+) walking the face of the earth.....mounted by some of the worst taxidermists on the face of the earth. All to try and save a couple hundred bucks?? Didn't make much sense to me. Joe Meder gets all my work, no worries.

This thread is a perfect example that people really need to be picky about their taxi. Think of all the money that is spent on gear, stands, food plots, etc. Then you finally achieve your goal. That extra couple hundred dollars spent on a mount is nothing compared to the big picture!

With this thread and talking about spending the extra money for a good mount. What does everyone pay for a mount? My buck is going to cost me $428 w/ taxes.

I totally agree. I won't use a good friend of mine because he slaps them together and doesn't care about his mounts....

I was thinking the same about the Deer Classic. Every year I am amazed at some of the poor quality of work done i see there. But don't get all too hung up on how much it costs. Cost doesn't always equal quality. I know a few guys that are very reasonable that do great work and vs versa. Research it beyond just the couple of heads hanging in their shop and make sure to go back in years and see how some of those deer are holding up over time.

When a beginner looks at a mount the first (& maybe only) thing they see is the antlers. In critically evaluating a taxidermy mount the antlers should be the last thing you look at and even then only to see if they are set correctly, not the size. In making the decision on who you will have mount your trophy, the "newby" asks first about the price, when in fact price should be the last thing you talk about. The bad taste of poor quality far outlasts the sweet taste of a cheap price.

When a beginner looks at a mount the first (& maybe only) thing they see is the antlers. In critically evaluating a taxidermy mount the antlers should be the last thing you look at and even then only to see if they are set correctly, not the size. In making the decision on who you will have mount your trophy, the "newby" asks first about the price, when in fact price should be the last thing you talk about. The bad taste of poor quality far outlasts the sweet taste of a cheap price.

I honestly have no idea how much its going to cost for the deer I dropped off this year. I didn't even ask. I know it will be awesome when its done. It was $650 in 2010 so it shouldn't be much more.

The placement of the rack on the local one is tipped way back and looks totally wrong and he does that to all of them. I don't I understand why he does it that way.

looks like he cuts the wrong angle and doesnt get enough to fill it back in... sorry about the bad mount though... I wouldnt care if I ticked someone off, its YOUR deer... and clearly they do Shotty work..

I get mine done by Brad Reddick at Mid-America Taxidermy in Savage, MN. He does great work, my family has been using him for many years. He's not cheap at $612 for a whitetail mount but you know you will get a quality mount in the end.

You mean you weren't going for the "surprised/what the hell are you looking at look?
LOL.... My thoughts exactly.

Sorry you got screwed on your mount, and I agree with you 100%. I use a local guy in my area that pays attention to detail and I have some amazing looking mounts from him.

spend the money

spend the money and go with some one who is good, The way I look at it is were already spending a lot of $$$$$ on gear,etc. so you might as well spend the extra $100 and go with someone proven and true!!

Top Bottom