Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Arrow Rest Question

Phantom

PMA Member
I'm looking through the archery catalogs and been thinking about changing arrow rests. I've been using the original trophy taker for years and have been very happy with it. However, when stalking antelope the past few years out west, it's not the ideal rest when crawling through the sage. Seems like one of the full capture rests would be better.

My research shows that QAD ultra rests might be the one or the new Ripcord code red. Does anyone have any experience with either one or would recommend a different one? I definitely want another drop away rest so that eliminates the whisker biscuit.

Thanks for the input. If/when I decide, I'll be on my way to Boyd's. Of course I could eliminate all these decisions if I went traditional!!:D

QAD LD or HD. They are the best hunting rest on the market. Full capture. The ability to go to full draw and let down without having to worry about the arrow falling off. Hands down only way to go!!

Put a QAD on my girlfriends bow....she loves it so far! Just make sure when they come up, they aren't tight, sounds weird, but to allow for clearance they need a TINY bit of play to allow that clearance. I've shot a trophy taker for years, gonna switch to the QAD on my new bow purchace sometime this year.

Look at the PSE pro series Phantom. I've used one for 3 years now and have been very impressed. I can do just about anything aside from turning my bow upside down and the arrow will still draw back where it should be.

QAD. IT Stays up on a slow let down where the Ripcord will go down and you have to reset it. Doesn't sound like much but if you have an animal come in and you have to draw on it a few times it makes all the difference.

I had the same rest as you and the same scenario stalking mulies out here in AZ. When I bought my new bow last fall, I looked around quite a bit and went with the Ripcord and love it. No regrets whatsoever. I had to let down on a deer in Texas twice last fall and it really wasn't a big deal to reset it quickly enough.

I use the Ripcord Code Red, and i love it! I have moleskin on the arrow shelf, but the arrow seldom touches the shelf when letting down a full draw. Simply use your index finger to hold the arrow shaft. Pretty much the same as we had to do with recurves.

I also use the Ripcord Code Red and think it's great. Uh oh, Cedar we have something in common!

I use the Ripcord Code Red, and i love it! I have moleskin on the arrow shelf, but the arrow seldom touches the shelf when letting down a full draw. Simply use your index finger to hold the arrow shaft. Pretty much the same as we had to do with recurves.

That reminds me that I forgot to mention that while still hunting/stalking out here, I just automatically flip my Ripcord up and it becomes 100% containment, thus keeping the arrow from falling off when drawing on a deer (happened to me more than once).

I also use the Ripcord Code Red and think it's great. Uh oh, Cedar we have something in common!
LOL; i just knew there had to be something good about you! Just kidding. We both love to bowhunt whitetails. I have alot more in common with you then many of my friends!

I just automatically flip my Ripcord up and it becomes 100% containment, thus keeping the arrow from falling off when drawing on a deer (happened to me more than once).
Yep; that's how my rest works, and i love it. The arrow wont fall off that rest no matter how you carry it!

The down fall with a Ripcord is if you go to full draw and then let down the rest doesnt stay up, it falls away. Now you are back to square 1. QAD is the BEST hunting rest on the market

The down fall with a Ripcord is if you go to full draw and then let down the rest doesnt stay up, it falls away. Now you are back to square 1. QAD is the BEST hunting rest on the market

Checked into both the Ripcord and the QAD at a couple of local shops. Both shops sold both and pushed the cheaper ripcord over the high end QAD. I was interested in the QAD because it stays if you let down. I was told by both shops that the QAD works on vibration to drop? And that they have had issues with some not dropping quick enough and the fletchins catch the arms on the way down. I went with the ripcord on both of my Alphamax bows and love them.

Checked into both the Ripcord and the QAD at a couple of local shops. Both shops sold both and pushed the cheaper ripcord over the high end QAD. I was interested in the QAD because it stays if you let down. I was told by both shops that the QAD works on vibration to drop? And that they have had issues with some not dropping quick enough and the fletchins catch the arms on the way down. I went with the ripcord on both of my Alphamax bows and love them.

That is is exactly what my archery shop here said and they also recommended the Ripcord over the QAD for that very reason. Whether its a frequent occurrence or not, if there is any doubt, I avoid the issue. I'd rather have to reset my Ripcord than take a chance of the rest not dropping at all. But I also know several guys here who would swear their lives to the QAD and I respect that.

I remember the staying up being an issue when they first came out. I think they resolved the issue. I've never had it happen with any of the four Ive had on my bows.

With the ripcord I just picture drawing back then having to let down forgetting to reset the rest and the arrow falling off the shelf. I guess if it that is what you are use to it would not be a big deal. But how often do you let down while practicing to be in the habit of doing that.

I think both are great rest just what you get use to.

With the ripcord I just picture drawing back then having to let down forgetting to reset the rest and the arrow falling off the shelf. I guess if it that is what you are use to it would not be a big deal. But how often do you let down while practicing to be in the habit of doing that.

I think both are great rest just what you get use to.

My only complaint about the Ripcord is that my arrows used to have a tendency to fall off the shelf when drawing. I've usually attributed that to me being a little shaky when drawing a 71 lb bow. I've been in the habit of flipping up the rest into full containment mode as soon as I knock an arrow, so it is now just a part of my draw process.

I think your last statement above is about the best one made, yet, Cooter!

I have had QAD rest on 3 different bows and will put one on my new Elite Pure in a month or so. It will work if it is installed right. I have installed a couple hundred of them over the last few years.

Top Bottom