Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

At Least it Wasn’t a _ _ _ _ Broadhead

Ishi

PMA Member
After 31 years of doing animal science I’ve found many interesting things and today was another.
The hunter said from TC pics the buck lost his right eye last year.

I couldn’t tell that a broken arrow was even there until I got to the eye and sew the shaft that was barely sticking out.
7A9183AE-9940-472D-850D-04DC772C6247.jpeg

It took several cuts with the bone saw to get it out and not get my hand sliced open!
102A4496-CEA4-40E7-816B-9C237566E9E0.jpeg

4826CF7A-CAA6-458A-8E95-DE8E2B78719F.jpeg

Last edited:
That is crazy that he could still be alive with a shaft like that sticking in his eye socket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yowsa! That is one tough animal, I would have imagined that a shot there would go on through and be quite deadly...I guess not.

Yowsa! That is one tough animal, I would have imagined that a shot there would go on through and be quite deadly...I guess not.
It was almost a head on shot by the way the arrow entered the eye orbit. It was very close to entering the brain.

Seems like poachers these days would use crossbows since they don’t make any noise and can be effective at such a far distance. Whenever I see things like this I always wonder if that’s maybe not what happened? Found a dead buck on my farm this past spring near the road, probably the pessimist in me but again I wondered if he’d been shot from the road.

Seems like poachers these days would use crossbows since they don’t make any noise and can be effective at such a far distance. Whenever I see things like this I always wonder if that’s maybe not what happened? Found a dead buck on my farm this past spring near the road, probably the pessimist in me but again I wondered if he’d been shot from the road.
Found a doe in my grove in October- directly between the road and my house, bullet hole in the side of the head... I also had "night coyote hunters" come trespassing into my piece, and would have been shooting directly at my kids bedroom (high chance with how they had set up). Luckily I was still working outside on a piece of equipment and heard the tell tale sign of caller, they said they were "just coyote hunting" so it didnt matter that they were trespassing... it was an officers son, so they told him to be more respectful but didnt give him a ticket...mind blown...

I'm not sure what the saddest part about this post is..

The suffering the animal had to go through, or the idiot that thinks a head shot is an ethical or appropriate way to try and take an animal.

Wait for your animals to get close and take a guaranteed shot.

Unfortunately there's always going to be bad shots. Human nature, old eyes, mechanical failure etc

Top Bottom