Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Avoiding change VS managing it

There kill few does but will shoot everything with something sticking out of its head.yes I think it's a waste and ridiculous and that's my opinion.

And if they were doing it on your neighboring farms then you are just a better person than me if you wouldn't care.

So now you decide what deer people can shoot and what they can't. That is the dumbest thing I've read in awhile. Not everyone needs a wall mounter for it to be a successful hunt they paid for the tag it's their decision.:thrwrck:

1) Deciding what people can and can not shoot is the point of this thread, in a round about sort of fashion. Limit the available tags and more deer walk.
2) if thats the dumbest thing you've read in a while, you must be very selective in what you click on, or your not reading much.
3) I couldn't agree more with that last sentence. Except for the rock throwing bit.

And if they were doing it on your neighboring farms then you are just a better person than me if you wouldn't care.

We can't control what people decide to hunt in pursue of pleasure within the bounds of regulations. And I don't think we should try to. That doesn't meant I would not love to see neighbors grow in their desire to manage at a higher level.

COLTER said:
So now you decide what deer people can shoot and what they can't. That is the dumbest thing I've read in awhile. Not everyone needs a wall mounter for it to be a successful hunt they paid for the tag it's their decision.:thrwrck:

Careful here because that logic would mean you shouldn't care about the NR regulations because it isn't happening on your land.

jjohnson said:
Had a couple gentlemen in my shop the other day from Wisconsin. They felt the same way you do. Refreshing to hear this from NR hunters.:way: I don't care what way you look at it: give NR landowners buck tags every year, up the NR quota, it don't matter. The quality of hunting here will decline PERIOD. Not to mention a ton of other stuff we don't want to happen...

Guys here's what your missing a little bit on. The price of your tag already selects trophy hunters as the vast majority. If someone is willing to pay almost 700 for a tag then adverse selecting in a positive way happened.

Im a little unclear on the topic. If a nr owns land in Iowa and you dont want him/her to be able to hunt on their land every year? You want to limit them? If this is the case ok but how many of you that feel that way own land yourselves?

I get the feeling that many people think every nr that buys land in Iowa does so for hunting. I'm a nr landowner, I don't have deep pockets like most residents think. My wife and I were both raised in Iowa our families still live there. We bought land to retire on not for the sole purpose of hunting. Sent both my kids to college in Iowa. My point is not ever nr buys for big bucks. I have drawn every year so I have no problem with the system. Please don't blame all nr landowners for high land prices, or wanting to change laws. I would love a lower priced tag but if it doesn't happen so be it. Here is a question for all the residents. Would you pay 600.00 to hunt your own farm? My guess is most who complain about nr landowners don't own land. Iowa was a great place to grow up and will be a great place to retire. There is more to Iowa than big bucks!
icon7.gif

Not everyone needs a wall mounter for it to be a successful hunt they paid for the tag it's their decision.:thrwrck:
So now you decide what deer people can shoot and what they can't. :

I don't think I understood him as saying he has made a decision that these guys were not allowed to shoot 25 bucks & 2 being wall mounters. Is he able to "decide" that?!?!
I think u may be misinterpretting what he said? I might take his comments as saying something like..... Guys popping everything with horns & killing all sorts of young bucks is very hard on a neighborhood. I'd guess he's disappointed in groups destroying age structures- not giving one hoot to the biological impact of killing 25 young bucks out of their areas. I know I wouldnt like it. I couldnt "decide" for them that they can't do it though- can anyone!!?! Thankfully I'd kick someone off my own land if they whacked & stacked a bunch of young bucks. Thankfully I still have that right!!!!! The bottom line- shooting multiple young bucks in an avg Iowa neighborhood makes zero BIOLOGICAL sense. If u specifically disagre with that- happy to go around on that topic. That's not saying they might not be having fun blasting and stacking and I'm not saying its illegal. I don't think u could make a case that it makes any biological sense though. But- rest assured- there r 100 blast & stack guy for every one that is disheartened by seeing all this transpire on their neighboring pieces each year. I'll guarantee u he can't & doesn't do a thing about it though.

Last edited:
My feelings towards nr hunters is simply this. You dont live here, spend money here year round and we arent neighbors. Taking these things into consideration, one could say NRs show up here from time to time to enjoy Iowas natural resources and then leave. Dont get me wrong, we're glad you do but you dont have the stakes that residents do. Simply owning land here shouldn't give you the same privileges we residents enjoy. Want cheaper tags and a gaurantee to get tags every year? Move here. We've got room

Careful here because that logic would mean you shouldn't care about the NR regulations because it isn't happening on your land.

What I meant was if they purchased a tag and fill it legally, what is wrong with that? Of course in a perfect world we would all like are neighbors to grow big bucks but that is not reality. I am more concerned that they follow the laws and respect their fellow hunters and neighbors. We as sportsman need to stick together. By most of he posts from NR members on this thread I have got the feeling they are happy with the way things are, so my vote would be to keep it like it is.

My feelings towards nr hunters is simply this. You dont live here, spend money here year round and we arent neighbors. Taking these things into consideration, one could say NRs show up here from time to time to enjoy Iowas natural resources and then leave. Dont get me wrong, we're glad you do but you dont have the stakes that residents do. Simply owning land here shouldn't give you the same privileges we residents enjoy. Want cheaper tags and a gaurantee to get tags every year? Move here. We've got room

Do you hunt or fish in any other states?

Im a little unclear on the topic. If a nr owns land in Iowa and you dont want him/her to be able to hunt on their land every year? You want to limit them? If this is the case ok but how many of you that feel that way own land yourselves?
Apple meet orange.

I know that's a baited question but I'll bite.
No, I do not hunt or fish in any other states. But thats not to say I don't want to. I'd love it.

One word (reciprocity) it would make things interesting. Same price and same wait if you hunt out of state

JRBRONC, what does that mean and I do want to know how many acres you guys own? The nr that own land around my area paid dang high prices per acre and pay property taxes like every land owner. Most, not all, is cash rented by local farmers and they are pretty thankful for those nr that invest in land. I will admit I can be pretty short sighted at times but the only answer I keep coming up with is jelousy between hunters. If that is it its pretty damn pathetic. If you will all quit worrying about what your neighbor is doing and go hunt the way you want to hunt you would be alot better off. Find some peace with that cause you will drive yourself nuts worrying about the hunters around you.

Top Bottom