Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bad news for next year

huntdoc

Went to farm where I hunt and bought some corn from the owner of farm to put in my feeder and put camera back up. He had gone to a farm show and was quite excited about a booth he visited. He was told with his acreage they could pay him some ridiculous $$$ to acquire the hunting rights from him and then sublease to their clients. I had been hoping it wouldn't happen this soon. I am willing to pay him but it definitely changes the relationship when it goes from friendly to $$$$. And yes I give him gifts and do favors and take good care of the land. Spent last 2 years putting in food plots too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He was told with his acreage they could pay him some ridiculous $$$ to acquire the hunting rights from him and then sublease to their clients. </div></div>

That stinks but that seems to be where were headed.

The very reason we fight so hard to keep the NR tag allotment from being increased here... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sucks. </div></div>

True

Good luck!!!

What I don't get is the numbers. I would be willing to compete with a standard lease in terms of $$$$, but what this guy was throwing out there was insane. I guess I don't comprehend the numbers involved in the outfitting businesses.

The outfitter may have been giving that guy those crazy numbers b/c they plan on selling the land to different people on a "per-season" basis.

So they would get say $2k for youth, $2k for early muzzle, $2k for bow season, $2k for both shotgun seasons, and $2 for late muzzle...that would put it to $10k for the year and make it seem completely ridiculous for one guy to pay...OR something along those lines.

Standard rates for leases (based on my knowledge) is $10-$20/acre.

This leased crap hit my area in the face last year. If you can't beat them, join them. I'm trying to score a lease that butts up to the ground I hunt...which drives me nuts when I think about it...but I'd certainly rather have a local person in there than some out-of-staters like last year.

Top Bottom