Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bale Blinds

jkratz5

After hunting out of a bale blind for turkeys this spring out in KS I decided that these would be perfect for a few of my deer hunting spots, especially for late season hunts.

Cutting, shaping and assembly of the frame took us about 4hrs.

Once it was framed, cut the windows and door and installed all the latches then wrapped everything in a tarp to make sure that we could seal everything up water and light tight.

Finally, added the hay. Think it turned out pretty good for a first shot.

Can't wait to give it a shot and to take my little guy out in it this year.

Kratz

Looks very nice! How did you attach the hay?

Bought a landscaping erosion mat (already has a little bit of straw attached) stappled it tight to the 2x4s and then stuffed it underneath with hay. Ran another secure set of staples afterwards to make sure it stayed tight.

Kratz

That looks like a professional job, nice! Did you put a floor in it? I have thought about building one of these myself, but I would be a bit concerned that I would end up with mice/skunks/misc digging underneath it and then 3 months later when I step inside it in the dark...VOILA! Sprayola!! :mad:

There is no doubt in my mind that a blind like that will fool the hunted quarry, I just don't want a big "surprise" to wreck my hunt. :D

Are your ends plywood? That is what it looks like.

Bought a landscaping erosion mat (already has a little bit of straw attached) stappled it tight to the 2x4s and then stuffed it underneath with hay. Ran another secure set of staples afterwards to make sure it stayed tight.

Kratz

Cool beans. Really good job. I like it a lot

Better stake it down real good. Buddy of mine built his like that and it turned into a tumble weed.

We built ours with a really heavy base made from plywood over a bunch of 2x4's, zero issues.

Tim

Better stake it down real good. Buddy of mine built his like that and it turned into a tumble weed.

We built ours with a really heavy base made from plywood over a bunch of 2x4's, zero issues.

Tim

Thanks for the heads up. Can't imagine it would go to far as it weighs 125lbs or so. Will make sure to buckle her down

Looks pretty nice. Staking it down would be a good choice and if you're like me I always over do it, but my elevated box blind made it through an 80 mph straight wind the other night and it sets out in the middle of no where.

Sides are built out of plywood. Grabbed some outdoor primer/paint from Menards from the return rack that was a graphite color for $5 to help seal it up better and keep the inside black.

Just used a jigsaw to cut the plywood to shape, worked pretty good.

Kratz

Top Bottom