Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

houston

Looking to get into a trail cam, which one? Easy to program and want to look at pics in the field. Dont want a cheapie.
Thanks Jeff~

I'm a big fan of the moultries, all of there models even the D50 which is 70.00 brand new is a reasonable camera. They have a battery life of 3 months depending on how many pictures your getting per day. They have good customer service, had some that had flash problems, took them back to the store I bought them from and they gave me a brand new one. Best advice is buy some, give em a whirl then decide on your personal opinion which one you like the best.

I have a moultrie and i dont like it much. pictures are blury and the trigger speed is not very fast. Battery life is great though. I am switching to cuddeback

Well i hate to argue....but i run a few of the new Cudde's. I like em. First n foremost is the clarity. Always clear pics. Ive had a few moultries and i gotta say, the battery life was great, but thats all. Blurry. White out pics. Slow. You name it.

I guess after owning a few diff brands (besides Reconyx), i gotta go with the Cuddebacks. Im a big fan of the flash. IR cameras scare more deer than the flash anyday of the week for me. Deer can see the red glow without a doubt in my mind, and they dont like it.

I have had about a dozen cameras, mostly stealth cams and moultries and then I bought a cuddeback capture. I now have four captures and I sold the rest of the cams on ebay. That's just my expereince. They do not take video, which would be nice at times, but they are priced really great for the camera you get, and I don't feel like I have to lose sleep if I have them out in areas that are prone to theft or on public land. I have run probably 10,000 pics through them in the last three years and I have never had a problem. They are out from August through Christmas most years.
For me there are three things that I like about the Captures 1) Very fast trigger speed, 2) Long battery life, and 3) Excellent picture quality.

There are a lot of great cams out there, but I'm happy with my set-up right now.

Between me and my brother we have 2 huntens, 2 moultries, 2 cuddebacks, and I bought a Primos 60. My favorite is my new primos cam. It is infrared that gives clear pics. I like the burst burst because most bucks will stay around at a scrape and let you get more pics of his rack. My brothers cuddeback has to wait to take another pic for 30 seconds. Mine takes 5 in 15 seconds and take take 5 more right away. It really helps with the angles of the big deer. You can see in detail stickers, kickers, and other things that will help you identify them in the field. You would have to buy a pic reader/viewer, but I just take the laptop with me in the truck, or wait til I get home to look and put another card in there. Its an addiction. Good luck

Reconyx will net the best results all around but the price is pretty crazy for most people. I have 2 of the new captures and like them pretty well with the exception of no multiple images, only a single shot and wait. Good picture clarity and decent battery life. I have 6 moultries and have them wired with the 6V rechargeables and solar panels, they will last 6 months, no BS...

However, they have bad trigger speed and really only work on narrow trails and over food/mineras/etc... They will not capture side to side movement, only if the object is in front of the camera for a few seconds.

I've also worked with the Wildgame and the new Primos entry pieces and I thought they were garbage, but they were the entry level pieces and not really what you are probably after. I will be purchasing a few Reconyx for this year (go big or go home) and doing my best to keep them locked down. I was able to work with one for 2 months this year and it is truely in it's own league.

There are a lot of options out there, maybe start here.

http://www.trailcampro.com/

We have had good results using the HCO Scoutguard 550. Excellent trigger speed and battery life. I think we're up to running about 12 of these cams.

Just picked up a Primos Truth Cam 46 and so far I am not impressed. Audible clunk from the IR filter and questionable trigger sensing. But, I think it will provide enough value to cover it's $100 purchase price.

First I must say I do like cuddeback flash cameras. They take excellent pictures. I've owned most of the cudde's, moultries, and have used stealths and the primos cams as well.

IMO the best cameras out there are probably the Reconyx. But I don't own one. I would rather pay $200 for a Bushnell, Scoutguard, Covert, type camera and own 2 instead of 1. There are several reasons I like these camera's over any other.

Battery life. You can run one of these cams for a full year on around 15-20 dollars worth of batteries. Most cameras that run C or D batteries will cost you triple that in batteries for a year.

Trigger Speed. I feel they are just as fast as anything else I've seen.

Picture quality. Then new 8mp cams take excellent pics and the older 5mp cams take good enough pictures for my needs.

Video. 99% of the time I'm running these types of cams on video. You would be amazed at the stuff you miss in picture mode. Even with a 2-3 shot burst. Not to mention the video quality is the best I've seen.

Size. The small size of these cameras lets me hide them better and are less likely to spook deer.

I really could care less what people use but I just thought I'd throw some info out there. Really the battery life is what makes these cameras that good. You buy a $100 camera or whatever and keep track of how much money you spend on batteries in a year. To me that's a huge added value.

jjohnson, Out of the cameras you own, which camera do you like the most? I thought about a primos 46, but went with the primos 60 that was on sale and am very pleased with it. The five pic burst is a huge plus. Got me good angles on some good deer that would have only stuck around for one pic with a cudde.

The Bushnell has been great for me. The early 2010's had some kinks but that seems to be taken care of. I hope Bushnell doesn't try to change to much on these cameras. Hopefully they will just work the few bugs they have out of them.

Had a 2010 Bushnell on a rut trail this Nov. Here's a few video's I got.

Last edited:
jjohnson - I'm confused by your post. What camera do you like best? Which ones took the video? What model Bushnell?

Last edited:
These videos were from a bushnell trophy cam. Covert and Scoutguard make similar cameras. I like the bushnells the best.

Bushnell, but I would only go with the 5mp model 119405 I thin is the model number. This is the 2009 model. they tried to improve the 2010 but I think they fell short of the older model with the changes. That 2009 model is hard to beat and wont break the bank, Me and a buddy are running 9 of them know and haven't paid over $125 for any of them.

Kratz

I have 3 of the bushnell TC, 2 of the 2009 and one of the 2010 they all seem to work about the same, the 09 may have a little better battery life.

I paid right at $200 apiece for mine. Kratz, where did you get yours for $125 ?

Top Bottom