Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Biggest buck I've ever taken!

This buck has been well worth the wait and seasons.

I've constantly hunted this buck as much as possible for the last three years. But being in school, weekends were the only times I was allowed to hunt.

Well... on November 2, 2008, I got him. Started with a discussion between me and my step dad (who also bowhunts). I told him I wanted to go to this certain reserve because I had a feeling this buck would be walking the fence lines just like i figured he would be.

So about 2 o'clock, I make my way toward my stand. After seeing him only once this year, I knew it was possible he was stayin deep in the timber. So, Here i am, sitting in my stand on a beautiful, warm Sunday afternoon. I get settled in and my step dad texts me just as he always does "In my stand and safe.. Good Luck!" I recieve the text and i felt that good luck was going to stick with me this time. After hearing MANY of those dang squirrels, I was ready to see my deer. Well at about 3 o'clock, here comes a deer to my right.

First, I see the body.. Instantly I think, hmm.. I have a doe tag, Might as well just fill it.. The body makes its way towards me.. i catch a glimpse of its rack, then he takes a few more steps. Oh my... I see it him.. and i kid you not, i was saying to myself in my stand "That's my buck... THAT'S MY BUCK" He makes his way in front of me... We walks into one of my shooting lanes.... "Mmrr" i try and stop him... he keeps walking.

Here he comes to the second lane, "Mmrr" he stops. This second lane is kinda tricky. Its about a foot by a foot and i will have to lob my arrow through there and drill him at 30 yds. Well i'm drawn and i talk to myself... How is this arrow going to fly... "well.. its gunna fly high, make it through there and nail him" (exactly what i was thinking in my head) and i take a deep breath, and squeeze the release.

My arrow flys perfectly through the opening. (It seemed as if the arrow was flying in super slow motion) The arrow hammers him perfectly. He runs about 20 yds up a hill right from where he came. My step dad can see him at this time... He stands there for about 30-45 seconds. ( what seemed like and eternity).. then he barrels down the hill.. I hear what sounded like a crash because i didnt see or hear him run any further.

I call My step dad then Coach Maddy (the coolest coach/friend ever) and tell him about it. He tells me to wait a bit and let him die, but go and try to find my arrow. I try to find my arrow and cannot find it for the life of me. I dont see blood either... Now i start gettin scared.. At this time my step dad meets me where im lookin for the arrow. I told him i couldnt so i was gunna go up by where he was standing for that 30-45 seconds. I walk up there... NOthin... :S im gettin kinda worried now. But i know he didnt run far! I walk further down the hill...

THERE HE IS! Layin there on the ground... I say whispering... "jeff" then i scream "JEFF! THERE HE IS" I run to my buck and grab ahold of the horns... Wow... how it feels to have the hard work paid off..

May not be the biggest buck to many, but to me.. its a monster! My monster!

(hopefully the pictures work)

What do you guys think he scores?

http://www.iowawhitetail.com/photopost/data/3146/medium/Buck22.jpg

http://www.iowawhitetail.com/photopost/data/3146/medium/Buck33.jpg

http://www.iowawhitetail.com/photopost/data/3146/medium/Buck42.jpg

http://www.iowawhitetail.com/photopost/data/3146/medium/Buck11.jpg

** I just want to thank Jeff (my step dad) and Jason Maddy (My coach) for helping me out with everything. And Coach Maddy, thanks for the Switchback... I love it!

Great buck and great story. Congrats

here are the pics for ya

Buck22.jpg

Buck33.jpg

Buck42.jpg

Buck11.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow... how it feels to have the hard work paid off..
</div></div>

That's awesome!! Congrats on a great buck! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Dang - that is a fantastic buck. Long tines and good mass - very few people would have let him walk by. Congrats on an awesome buck !

Top Bottom