Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blackberries as a part of your management plan?

N9BOW

I am planning on adding about 1000 root clippings of Blackberries on our ground as an edge feathering component, and in clumps to our monoculture stand of switch grass and haphazardly throughout the to CP25 stand mix.

This is where I could use some input
smile.gif
from those of you more versed in QDM and upland bird habitat than I.

This is all being done as a test/ hypothesis, to see if adding very stout blackberry bushes can improve the desireability of a Monoculture switchgrass stands for deer bedding and to get pheasants to nest there more than they already do.

My thoughts here.... and these are just just that, thoughts..... are, the added height and mass of the blackberry will encourage for the deer to use it more than they already do. Why, because I figure they can get consealed more easily than in just switchgrass. I am thinking that 6-8 foot tall canes would provide some needed shade especially in the heat of the early season as well as a breaking up the cover of the switchgrass with a higher canopy without too much worry about eventual choking out the switchgrass like a tree or shrub might.

Some observation that make me think this way.
I watch deer every day (benefit of working from home) in the big CRP pasture by us and how the deer have used the field every day over the past year.... Being creatures of the edge, they always seem to be by something to break up their form.

Blackberries came to mind as an option because I want to do everthing in my power to hold and manage both Bird and Deer in the limited acreage I have to work with.

Part of the reasoning for Blackberry was that, I was always busting quail and big bucks too, out of the briar patches in the fence rows and woody draws. I am guessing that pheasants will probably utilize them just as much because of the open ground beneath them when they get filled out. This should have the added benefit of producing a Covey headquarters for quail eventually as well.

The thornless varieties from the University of Arkansas which are reasonable to buy even with the royalty as long as you bu the root clippings. These plants throw out some very tall canes and if planted in the right density, are going to hold up well and provide some dynamite cover in the worst snows. I imagine the Switchgrass and other warm season grasses pressed up against these bushes on the windward side, would provide a decent wind break for all game.

There is also the food benefit as well but that is not their main purpose, although I would not mind making some extra jars of blackberry jelly in the summer
grin.gif

My thought was the black berries should get a head start on the switchgrass and CP25 with growth as soon as the ground starts to warm in early spring, the initial prima cane stalk that will come up will be small and not very bushy so it would not really compete to much with its surrounding plants althouugh eventually it would in its immediate area.
(experience tells me this, as we had 10,000 on our last farm in Indiana)

Anyway, once the blackberries are up and as they start to get thicker, this should provide some open ground for brood rearing and travel corredors through the denser switchgrass stands.

Your Thoughts?

N9BOW

Re: Blackberries as a part of your management plan

At some point you will most likely burn off the switch grass as part of your management plan, maybe late spring. How will the blackberries tolerate this?

they "Should" throw up a new cane the next year. If the fire is hot enough to destroy the primacane, you will just not have any fruit on that cane the following year. If you are not in it for the fruit it should be ok.

We burned our field the second year after planting and still had some canes that did not get hot enough to kill it produce fruit.

I would imagine the pure switchgrass stand will get hot enough to kill the new prima cane. I am not real sure but I think burning every three years might be a good option for the nesting and roosting in the stand.
I do know the canes grow up to 8 feet by mid summer so the cover is always regenerating.

It's going to be trial and error as I have never done this in CP25 or switchgrass, so I will let you know what happens.

N9BOW

Blackberries are awesome habitat! They already grow wild in my switchgrass fields but when they do they out compete the prairie grass.

I like to keep them along edges or in openings in the the timber. I don't have to plant them they just pop up given some sunlight...and a few brushy tops for birds to land on (and deposit seed/fertilizer
grin.gif
)

Deer love to eat the leaves when they come back into the timber after a night of raiding my foodplots...so I create openings in the timber and use this in stand placement.

I've never noticed deer beds in blackberry thickets out in the fields and the quail seem to prefer brushier thickets for overhead cover but blackberries certainly help!

It will be interesting to see how yours works out long term.

Morse Nursery carries them also but they seem pretty pricey.

[ QUOTE ]
I've never noticed deer beds in blackberry thickets

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the input dbltree

I have noticed them in Briar thickets where there was a place for them devoid of the thorny stuff. I was planning on planting the Thornless blackberries in clusters, kind of like a C shape with the back side of the C facing North West to get maximim wind protection.

On the inside of the C I would imagine an ideal bedding place. Maybe I am over thinking this thing too much.....
crazy.gif

I have a tendency to do that.

N9BOW

[ QUOTE ]
I have noticed them in Briar thickets where there was a place for them devoid of the thorny stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree however those spots at least on my place are in timber/brushy areas rather then out in the prairie grass.

My switchgrass is full of beds and they have the option of bedding in blackberry patches in or around it...but they don't seem to.

When they enter the timber...that's a different story.
cool.gif

I like your ideas...just remember...how will your plans come in to play during hunting season?

One always wants to create bedding areas...and feeding areas with some type of huntable funnel between the two.

Something to keep in mind as your planning...which is 1/2 the fun!
waytogo.gif

Thank for the example.

Being new to the State it helps to have insight from those who have first hand knowledge. I appreciate that.
waytogo.gif

I may just try a smaller section that is more like overgrone pasture instead of out in the open as you suggested.

[ QUOTE ]
One always wants to create bedding areas...and feeding areas with some type of huntable funnel between the two

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... I have this problem...
smirk.gif
Our place is one of the biggest plots of hardwoods/creekbottom/overgrown orchard around our general facinity we asurrounded by CRP Brome deserts or Cow pasture so while not real big, it is a deer magnet and I cant seem to get anywhere without bumping deer.
bawling.gif
I had to change my hunting strategy this year to go in after first light becuse the first serveral attempt had me hitting deer every turn I took.

Like I said poor me.....
grin.gif
to have such a problem...
cool.gif

Anyway I am trying to make more preferrable bedding elswhere so the deer wont be in litterally every spot I go to. We are having timer logged selectively and doing stand improvement and thinning in other areas all in an effort to get to or create the types of funnels you mentioned in your previous post.

Hey one more question dbltree... Do you know where I can buy some CIR Switchgrass this year. I spent all last summer cutting down the volunteer trees in the CRP ground (mid/end contract management) and I mowed all of it in August and Sprayed late September with Roundup. We are planning to Burn then let greenup and spray again, then once that is dead/dying we were going to plant.

But after reading about Frost seeding on here, I am thinking maybe I should try to burn the 3 acres or so we have planned for switchgrass earlier and try to frost seed so I can get the benefit of the cold stratifying the seed and get better germination. What say you? What would you do?

Thanks in advance
N9BOW - Eric

I have two large blackberry patches on my place. One is in the middle of a 10 acre field of brome and the other one feathers the edge of a 6 acre secluded field of brome that borders my creek. I have seen the deer nibbling on the leaves in the spring and have found turkey nests in the patch that borders the timber and creek. I have mowed and burned and they always seem to come back strong. My retired aunt and uncle always try to come down for a camp out when the berries are ripe. Man can she bake a pie!
grin.gif

Could blackberries be planted in a river bottom that floods occassionally. Do they tolerate occassional flooding? I'd like to try them along the edges of timber but do not want to waste time and money in the process.

[ QUOTE ]
Could blackberries be planted in a river bottom that floods occassionally. Do they tolerate occassional flooding?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good question?

I know they grow in low moist areas on my place where a brief spring flood occurs via spring rains but not weeks of being submerged.

Water doesn't sit around long on my place so I'm not the best one to ask.

I would think they would tolerate very brief "creek over the bank" type but not long periods of "wet feet".

Only thing that comes to my mind about planting the blackberies in "C" shapes is eventually the "C" is gonna become an "O". I suppose it may take a few years and backing a bush hog into the stand would re-create the "C".

We transplanted some rasberries from my wife's father's garden to a spot out back a few years ago. We transplanted about 15 plants. I made the mistake of putting fertilizer in the hole which killed all but two of the plants. The two suviving plants have been chewed to stumps by deer but they are finally produceing a few berries. I have been told that the blackberries will cross polinate with the rasberries and we will eventually have blackberries instead of rasberies. Any chance this is gonna happen with your hybirds?

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom