Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blinds and Bucks?

wapsiguy

PMA Member
I have a great spot to hunt that has no trees suitable for a stand. The closest tree would be about a 50 yard shot which is not an option. Do you think that a double Bull blind properly concealed can be used to harvest a mature buck? I know you see quite a bit of this being done on TV but some of the blinds they are hunting from have been out for an extended period of time. Could a guy set one up brush it in and spray it down?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Robert

i have not had many good experiences with deer and blinds....

however, i would think that if you put it up, give it several days, the deer would become comfortable with it.

set it up, brush it in and hunt it and let us know!!
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I think deer notice very subtle changes made to the blind each time. If you plan on shooting out of one praticular window, I would keep that window open even when your not in it. I had a doe blowing at me one night and I am sure it is because I had a window open that she was not use to seeing open.

Robert,
We have had some good experiences on mature bucks with the Double Bull in a plug and play situation. Dressed up well and using a decoy is in my experience necessary. Have had better luck with the Matrix/Darkhorse window shape than the oval ones. Here is a set up we used a few years back and had a couple pretty good ones come buy close enough for a shot.

26DSC02269.JPG

I've got two bucks shot on film from inside of one this year. We put it up a week before season. They dont even look at it. And its not concealed at all just sitting on the top of the hill on the edge of the food plot.

In the last two years we've taken four mature bucks out of our dbl bulls and all taken within 50 yards, two within 20. Brush it in and just hunt.

hoofline.gif

In my experience the mature does are far more wary of a new blind set up than the bucks are.

I do believe for deer that brushing the blind in is a must. And wear black clothing.

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? >>>>>Details Here!<<<<< Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Good question and thanks for the responses so far. I have an area with the same problem in a willow thicket. It should be easy to find material to brush in with.

I ran into the same problem last night. I ended up on a fenceline under a row or 3 cedars. I cut some branches for shooting lanes and used those branches to help conceal myself. It worked great, three bucks and about 15 does passed by me within 30 yards, and I had an old ugly racked deer come within 15 feet. He was a super heavy and tall ten who's tines crossed in the center......cuz he had about a 8 inch inside spread. I guess the point is that if you control you scent as best you can, sit still and conceal yourself well, you can kill deer from the ground.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: walley250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think deer notice very subtle changes made to the blind each time. If you plan on shooting out of one praticular window, I would keep that window open even when your not in it. I had a doe blowing at me one night and I am sure it is because I had a window open that she was not use to seeing open. </div></div>

I agree with this comment...dang things see that "big black hole" and come unglued! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I take a roll of twine with me and use it to help tie shingle oak or cedar to the blind, even then I have had mature bucks turn inside out upon seeing it!

Others however are intent on does right now and walk right by. Like Ron mentioned does are the curse of a tent blind...grrr!

I'll fix em during the HP season... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Top Bottom