Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

July 21, 2011

Couple things you hear from the old timers...

We're always only 2 weeks away from a drought...

and...

Rain or shine...plant turnips July 29...
Lot of truth in both statements...even though we were inundated with heavy rains thru May and June here in SE Iowa, nearly 5" above normal...it hasn't rained here since June 28th. Three weeks without rain combined with searing heat 98-100 degrees, day after day.

Earlier long term forecasts called for below normal temps and above normal precip for July which only raises the awareness that we simply cannot predict the weather with any degree of certainty. If we get an inch of rain today and plant brassicas tomorrow...we may not get another rain for weeks, just a reality and risk of planting anything, anytime!

That brings us to the "July 29" saying... turnips are not unlike a shorter season version of corn, they need a certain amount of days to produce any reasonable amount of yield (roots). the whole object of growing turnips is to produce a root that whitetails will feed on during the winter months. Turnips are the least favored of the "forage" brassicas, with radish and rape plants being far more palatable and sought after. From a forage aspect, the forage varieties and species also produce far more forage if planted in mid summer versus early fall.

Here are the average rainfall amounts for my county...

July 4.25 Inches
August 3.93 Inches
September 3.72 Inches
October 2.79 Inches
The longer we wait, the greater the chance of decreased rainfall....so we play the averages and take a gambol that we'll get the "average" rainfall at minimum. Some years we win, some years we lose and those who put all their eggs in one basket by planting only one crop...lose ALL!

Farmers don't plant corn in July and they don't plant turnips in September...they take huge risks and have faith it will all work out. They count on soybeans to fill in when corn fails, so when the minimum growing time is reached for corn, they switch to soybeans and if that minimum growing time passes, they may plant wheat.

With all of that in mind I encourage landowners not to bet the farm on any one crop and when the optimum time for beans or brassicas has passed, switch to cereals in late summer but whenever possible plant some of each in each plot. Mid July through mid August gives us ample growth time for 60-90 day brassicas but waiting for a rain is no guarantee we'll get a second and third to keep them going.

I tilled in 400#'s of 6-28-28 a week earlier and tilled in 200#'s of urea earlier this week, killing any newly germinated weeds with the second tilling.

Spreadingurea-1.jpg

Strip1.jpg

Chances of rain increased late this week as a front sags south and east but even at that they will be hit or miss storms. The soil is so dry on the surface however that the tiny seeds will not germinate until we do get rain so i decided to get them planted and hope for the best.

I cultipacked first (note the strips of soybeans and clover in these fields...even if one crop fails, all is not lost)

Strip2.jpg

I planted the following mix per acre

3#'s Purple top Turnips
2#'s Dwarf Essex Rape
5#'s of Groundhog Forage Radish
The mix of seeds looks like this...the radish seeds nearly twice the size of the PTT and DER

Mix.jpg

I use a bag seeder and adjust the opening so it just allows the largest seeds to pass thru

Spreader.jpg

The tiny seeds are nearly impossible to see on the soil surface making them easy to overseed...how many seeds do you count in this photo?

Seeds.jpg

Once the seed is on I cultipack again

Packer.jpg

Just enough to press the tiny seeds into the top 1/8" to 1/4" deep

Finished.jpg

These are new fields that are being subdivided into blocks that will contain white clover, brassicas and the winter rye combination...

Field3.jpg

Right now they have nothing to eat but this is the last season that will ever be the case and even if a crop fails there will be plenty of other food sources to fill the void.

Field2.jpg

The Long term Iowa weather forecast calls for increased chances of "pops" (pop up T-storms)....maybe I'll get lucky, maybe I won't but we have everything to gain if the seed is in the ground when a storm finally rolls thru.... ;)

Weather forecast really changed for us in NE iowa. Sooooo, I planted my rapeturnipgroundhogradish mix this morning while it was thundering and getting darker by the minute. Then it proceeded to break up and go around me, leaving just a sprinkle. I'm blaming it on Bonker since one of the plots was for him and well, he's just bad luck. Got another heavy sprinkle this evening and more possible overnight so maybe all is not lost. You're right though, sometimes you just have to plant no matter what the forecast is.

I planted my turnips last night and got about a 1/2 in of rain shortly after. I hope thats enough to make it through the next couple weeks of heat if we dont see anymore rain.

I wish I would have gotten my turnips and GHR planted planted this week, just shy of 3" last night. At least my other plots and nwsg's will benefit.

Checked my turnipsradishesrape that I scattered on bare ground last Thurs. morn. and got good rain that night. Should have had my camera along as I couldn't believe how they had sprouted! Will be back up there tonite and will try to take a pic. Really amazing how fast they can get going in the right conditions. I take back what I said about you Bonker!!!

Checked my turnipsradishesrape that I scattered on bare ground last Thurs. morn. and got good rain that night. Should have had my camera along as I couldn't believe how they had sprouted! Will be back up there tonite and will try to take a pic. Really amazing how fast they can get going in the right conditions. I take back what I said about you Bonker!!!

Sweet! Keep us posted! :way:

On one of the farms where I help manage the habitat, the landowner has his own equipment and we worked together to get his brassicas planted last week.

We had Crop Services spread P&K and pellet lime earlier

Spreader-1.jpg

Then I spread 200#'s of urea per acre

Urea.jpg

and he tilled it in right behind me

Tiller.jpg

and I followed that operation with a Brillion seeder...with two packers and accurate seed metering it is a sweet outfit for sowing small seeds minus the "guesswork"

BrillionSeeder.jpg

We're getting his plots "subdivided" into strips of brassicas and eventually rye/oats/peas/radish and red and white clover and screened with Egyptian Wheat

Finishedseeding.jpg

We're improving soil fertility through soil testing and adding needed nutrients and planting multiple crops within hidden central feeding areas that can easily be rotated yearly. Deer will quickly adapt to having all their needs met, year around in one place next to premium bedding cover.

Now...we just need some rain... ;)

At least we have someone who can post pic of brassica this summer...:way::D

Not a drop in my neck of the woods...:(

Mine either.... brassica plots are like powder... hopefully we will get some rain later this week... if not the plots are getting planted to oats / winter rye mix come labor day weekend

Here are some pics of TurkeyRivers food plot that he explained above. I will let him add to this.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks for putting the pics up dedgeez. As you can see, the stand of beans is a little thin, so I'm hoping to beef it up with turnipsradishesrape mixture. The timing of the rain couldn't have been better and you can see how well stuff germinated, even though there is some dead grass cover in the beans. Hopefully this plot will pull in a doe for Bonker!

Keep us posted on growth of the brassicas in the beans Turkeyriver :way:

July 27th, 2011

I planted some various brassica and beet mixes and individual species and varieties in the garden the other day and turned the sprinkler on after planting...they were up the next morning!

7-25Brassicasprouting.jpg

If I could only get rain on all the brassica plots I'd be all set!

Brassicasprouts.jpg

I planted the following mix from Grassland Oregon

40% PT Turnips

35% Tillage Radishes

10% Inka Kale

7.5% Ursus Poly Fodder Beets

7.5% Record Poly Fodder Beets

and individual plantings as well

IMG_5510.jpg

IMG_5512.jpg

The fodder beets should really be planted a 1/2 deep

IMG_5511.jpg

so that can be a problem when combining them with the tiny brassica seed like kale

IMG_5514.jpg

I broadcast the mix on top and ran over it with the ATV so we'll see how that compares to those I actually row planted. These are fodder beets grown at Grassland

5 weeks old

FodderBeets5wks.jpg

FodderBeets-5weeks.jpg

The above mix at 3 weeks

BRB3weeks.jpg

I also planted Winton Swede Forage Brassica and Kestrel Kale from Welter Seed for a comparison. All of the forage radish seed being sold is VNS (Variety Not Stated) so while it has trademarked "names" like Groundhog, Trophy and Tillage...there is no verifiable difference in the seed. I tested them last year and there was zero difference but since there are always new folks reading these threads I planted them again along side the other brassicas and beets previously mentioned.

I'll share growth in both my test area and food plot situations that are at the mercy of the weather as the summer wears on... ;)

This time of year the forums are often lit up with questions about which brassica to buy? Hunter landowners often see only adds in hunting magazines and therefore see only seeds advertised by companies who target that market...unknowing hunters with little or no background in farming and even less knowledge about the actual dietary needs of a whitetail and the growth habits of the advertised seeds.

I have spent an inordinate amount of time and money testing all kinds and types of seeds/crops, especially brassicas in part because common sense tells me that there is no magic bullet, no seed worth 3 to 5 times the real value of that seed. On the other end of the spectrum however I wanted to be certain that one rape plant for instance did not have a distinct advantage over another and that some mix of seeds did not contain some perfect combination that indeed made it worth the extra money.

I am just a working man but if there were a dramatic difference I could afford to spend an extra 10-20 bucks on seed if it had specific benefits not available in other commonly available seeds but...try as I might I have not been able to find even the slightest difference either in performance, yield or attractiveness to deer.

Keep in mid that there are distinct differences in species but not varieties of plants. Whitetails for instance will seek out forage radish over forage rape, and rape over turnips and so on but those are different species of brassicas just as cauliflower and broccoli are different brassicas.

Lee and Tiffany Lakosky are also able not only to purchase any seed they want but in fact have sponsors standing in line to give them literally anything they need in turn for the advertising. Currently Evolved Harvest is their sponsor yet it is interesting to note that that they stop by the same local seed supply that I do and pick up bags of ordinary low cost seeds such as Dwarf Essex rape and Purple Top Turnips. Lee was a chemical engineer and certainly a bright man who would leave no stone unturned in his effort to attract and hold whitetails...yet he relies on the same dependable, economical stand byes that I do.

Choose whichever seed you feel is best for you and where possible do your own side by side testing but be aware that the seed you may be paying a premium for (because it comes in a pretty bag with a buck on it) may very well be the same seed that Lee and I buy at a fraction of the cost...in a plain white bag... ;)

My friend Mike up in WI got his brassicas in the other day...I'd love to have Mike's cultimulcher!

2011planting091.jpg

Mikes are was desperate for rain but I believe they did receive some since this planting in late July

2011planting089.jpg

He planted Winifred hybrid , Purple tops, Dwarf Essex and Ground Hog radish seed...great choices and a great mix that includes various species that will provide food sources from late summer well into the new year! :way:

Dbltree just wondering if Mike from WI had a seed sorce from WI or if he ordered from Welter's also... My local Co Op wont seperate big bags of seed to make my small order... I just ordered from Welters today with a steep shipping and handling charge... Possibly looking for a new place for next year...

Dbltree just wondering if Mike from WI had a seed sorce from WI or if he ordered from Welter's also... My local Co Op wont seperate big bags of seed to make my small order... I just ordered from Welters today with a steep shipping and handling charge... Possibly looking for a new place for next year...

I'll check with him and see...almost always less expensive to buy seed locally when possible or get several friends together and buy in bulk and divide it up...;)

I planted PTT's, DE rape, and GH forage radishes last Sunday. For some reason southern Warren county is just not getting rain. I live in northern Warren and have had several nice showers.... How long can the seed survive without rain and need replanting or replacing with something else like winter rye and oats?

Last edited:
Lee and Tiffany Lakosky are also able not only to purchase any seed they want but in fact have sponsors standing in line to give them literally anything they need in turn for the advertising. Currently Evolved Harvest is their sponsor yet it is interesting to note that that they stop by the same local seed supply that I do and pick up bags of ordinary low cost seeds such as Dwarf Essex rape and Purple Top Turnips. Lee was a chemical engineer and certainly a bright man who would leave no stone unturned in his effort to attract and hold whitetails...yet he relies on the same dependable, economical stand byes that I do.

Choose whichever seed you feel is best for you and where possible do your own side by side testing but be aware that the seed you may be paying a premium for (because it comes in a pretty bag with a buck on it) may very well be the same seed that Lee and I buy at a fraction of the cost...in a plain white bag... ;)

Yes alot of people would be surprised to see those pretty bags with tv hunters on them getting filled out of the same bins in the back room as the plain white ones! I have seen it first hand.

I planted PTT's, DE rape, and GH forage radishes last Sunday. For some reason southern Warren county is just not getting rain. I live in northern Warren and have had several nice showers.... How long can the seed survive without rain and need replanting or replacing with something else like winter rye and oats?

If there is not moisture to cause the seeds to germinate, they will lay there...possibly for months and then germinate when we get rain. The problem arises when we get a little rain, just enough to germinate them but then no continued moisture....then the tiny plants wither and die in the heat.

We have had a 1/4" in 30 days...going to be long hard summer in southern Iowa...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom