Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadhead discussion

Evolved like most others here.. G5 Striker (Hated the blades falling apart), NAP Braxe (interesting design), and then to Rage. Shot the most deer with rage, always had good blood trails and results. The breaking and bending of blades got me worried so quit using them.

Recently settled back on a bigger fixed blade - 1.25" cut. Magnus black hornet 4 blade Ser Razor.. We'll see. Need to shoot something with them to see how they do. Still curious to try grim reapers - 1-3/8 3 blade pro series have me intrigued.

Ultimately I'm down to the "big fixed blade / smaller durable mechanical camp" at this point.

I've shot rages for over a decade, never had an issue/ failure, and they've saved me on a few marginal shots over the years. I shoot 70 pounds and 29" draw length and can think of one time I didn't get pass through. I'm going to keep shooting what works, until it doesn't. Then maybe I'll reconsider. I don't shoot quartering to or frontal.

OP's example of switching and getting bad results is my main argument of keeping with what is working for me until it doesn't. Part of my issue is trusting some person on the internet, not knowing their background, or a hunting professional, since they are more than likely getting paid to say it. Skip did have me possibly considering the beast, although I looked them up and saw josh bowmar is behind them. I have a moral issue supporting anything that guy does.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Evolved like most others here.. G5 Striker (Hated the blades falling apart), NAP Braxe (interesting design), and then to Rage. Shot the most deer with rage, always had good blood trails and results. The breaking and bending of blades got me worried so quit using them.

Recently settled back on a bigger fixed blade - 1.25" cut. Magnus black hornet 4 blade Ser Razor.. We'll see. Need to shoot something with them to see how they do. Still curious to try grim reapers - 1-3/8 3 blade pro series have me intrigued.

Ultimately I'm down to the "big fixed blade / smaller durable mechanical camp" at this point.
I switched to the Magnus Black Hornet a few years ago. No complaints and no deer has made it more than 60 yds. Not that they couldn't have if they took off running flat out. All of those deer never had a clue I was there and were all double lunged. They all have jumped some, ran a bit then they stood until they tipped over. IMO they are the best blood trails I've got from a fixed blade. I also haven't needed a blood trail on the 7 deer I've run them through.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Everything in archery is a trade off. When it comes to fixed vs. mech and blood trails the mech is usually going to win. Put either where they belong and you should get the result you want. Put one in the guts and you may be happy your shooting a mech over fixed. Put one in the shoulder and it's the other way around. I choose penetration.

All of the above does not even take into account the extra work it takes to get a fixed blade to fly right AND accurately.

I thought you can still buy rocket broadheads ?
I thought they were bought out and phased out? You can still buy packages on EBay. I’m not aware that they offer them on any websites ? I haven’t checked for awhile. We purchased 4 packs a few yrs ago.

QAD Exodus for me the last four years. Sharpest blade I have come across and have always had complete pass through. They fly like a field point and have never had a deer go more than 30 yards. Shot a doe this season at 30 yards slight quartering away and she only went 5 yards. Been very hapy with them so far and see no need to change.

I have zero experience with the single bevel heads or with the super heavy arrow set ups. I've always shot between 425 and 450 grain arrows. I do like a little more FOC so I use brass inserts. I'll be honest I'm not one to really switch or experiment with stuff so I probably don't have much to offer.

I shot muzzys for years until about 15+ years ago I was on a hog hunt in oklahoma and the guide at the ranch questioned me on using them. Said his experience with people shooting them on hogs was they would not leave much of a blood trail at all. Something about them plugging up exit hole. No idea. He handed me a slick trick and said he loved these and to try one, so I did. They flew great and killed a hog that weekend so when I got home I bought some more. Shot them side by side my old 3 blade muzzys with the longer farrell and they flew 10x better so I switched. Been using them ever sense. I've killed a lot of deer, one bear, and a few hogs with the slick tricks and for the most part have never been disappointed. With that said I'm pretty sure they cheapened them up a few years ago and they are not quite the same anymore. I had a couple blades break in half after going through the deer. I actually took pictures and sent it to them and they said the made a change to farrells and they were aware of the problem and were fixing it and sent me a new package. I did use up that last pack this year between me and my son so I bought a package of the exidus to try. Lot of guys I know shoot them and love them. I will be using them going forward and after shooting a doe with one a few weeks ago I have no doubt they will be as good and probably better than the slick tricks.

The rage and few other mechanicals have always peaked my interest I just can't bring myself to try. Don't like the thought of a chance of failure or losing that pass through. Even my son got a pass through on his first doe with the slick trick shooting 45 pounds.
I like the design of the sevr mechanicals..They lock open and pivot . I just ordered 3 of the 1.75s.
Take a look at swat broadheads massive holes and good blood veteran own company

So I bought a pack of these for the late season. I specifically hung a stand on some mowed corn to hopefully get some deer in tight. These are the G5 Mega-meats. I know the blades will bend but that's fine. I do believe the feral is pretty strong and should help penetrate a little bit of bone. I would like to try some other heads as well, so if someone wants to see something used let me know and Ill try and find some to try. Still on the search for the "perfect" broadhead.

Attachments

• PXL_20231208_235846295.jpg
    PXL_20231208_235846295.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20231208_235905820.jpg
    PXL_20231208_235905820.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 57
I know the blades will bend but that's fine.
I’ve been using some Rocket expandable heads that have flexible blades and think they can flex around bones, without the arrow loosing major energy.

I’ve had good experiences with Jakhammers, but their blades are quite a bit thicker and less flexible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Magnus are you shooting ?
I shoot the black hornet now but have used the stinger also. both with bleeders. either is good. stinger should have a slightly better penetration with its longer design. black hornet should be slightly stronger because it is supported oit closer to the tip and might have thicker blades. a coin flip for me.

I shoot the black hornet now but have used the stinger also. both with bleeders. either is good. stinger should have a slightly better penetration with its longer design. black hornet should be slightly stronger because it is supported oit closer to the tip and might have thicker blades. a coin flip for me.
Ok thanks

I've experimented quite a bit, expandables hybrids, fixed. Honestly I've had all different levels of blood trails; I think shot angle makes more of a difference on amount of blood more than anything.

I've been shooting fixed lately for the simplicity and ability to resharpen the blades. Expandables win all day if you make a bad shot back on a deer. I may go back to expandables for that fact alone. Expandables always annoyed me cuz they'd partially open when I seat them into my quiver.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

A 3 blade diameter of 1.25 " has about the same cutting surface as a 2" blade mech.

I've shot plain Jane 3 blade Muzzys for 25 years. Don't think I've ever had a broken blade? Over 100 deer and 40 bear.
Yes, a few bent blades.
Been in on 100s of bloodtrails over the years.
2 things have I've come to realize.
# 1. No matter what broadhead we shoot, bloodtrails can be superb or poor.
Even with the exact shot entry/ exit. No matter the head being shot. Can't explain why and ain't gonna try. Just what I've seen.
#2, there is ZERO doubt in my mind that a big 2 blade mech head and shooting plastic fletching will produce deer running farther then a deer shot with smaller diameter head shot with feather fletching. All things equal.

Look back 30 years ago at hunting videos and ones now days
.sickens me watching stuff nowadays seeing a deer / bear run of with an arrow sticking out of it.
There IS a reason!
You fellas can argue/ discuss that one.;)

I will not allow any Mech head in bear camp. I want 2 holes and complete pass thru' s.

I’m not sure how shooting a fixed blade guarantees a pass thru. I shot G 5 Montecs for a few years and did not get a pass through every time. My wife shoots light poundage. I don’t care what fixed I give her she’s not getting pass through each time. I shoot 2 blade Rage for deer and will til I die. Have great success with them. Never hunted bears so I don’t have an opinion.

First off, I will not shoot a mechanical broadhead on deer for the simple reason of how many people report mechanical failures and problems to me each and every year. When you run a shop and someone has an problem or failure with something you sold them - you hear about it. I grant that many of those failures are probably user error - but i choose not to take that chance on my own equipment. The bigger cutting diameter of mechanicals also leads to less penetration , that is simple physics and not debatable. With a well tuned setup and enough power input, you can still get pass-thrus with mechanicals, but i hear complaints of low penetration with mechanicals all the time, just look at all the big TV Hunters and the lousy penetration they always seem to get on film with the heads they tend to shoot.

Second, For what it is worth and it does not matter to everyone but it matters to me and seems to matter to a lot of my customers, a LOT of broadheads on the market are made in China. But not all of them.

Finally, I get told all time that mechanicals fly better that fixed blades. As a blanket statement, that is simply NOT true. With proper tuning and good shooting form, it is not hard to get a quality fixed blade to fly well and group just as good as a mechanical. However, it may take more time and possibly some training to achieve that.

For all these reasons, I choose to shoot QAD Exodus broadheads because they are 100% made in the USA and I have yet to find another head that is any better.

First off, I will not shoot a mechanical broadhead on deer for the simple reason of how many people report mechanical failures and problems to me each and every year. When you run a shop and someone has an problem or failure with something you sold them - you hear about it. I grant that many of those failures are probably user error - but i choose not to take that chance on my own equipment. The bigger cutting diameter of mechanicals also leads to less penetration , that is simple physics and not debatable. With a well tuned setup and enough power input, you can still get pass-thrus with mechanicals, but i hear complaints of low penetration with mechanicals all the time, just look at all the big TV Hunters and the lousy penetration they always seem to get on film with the heads they tend to shoot.

Second, For what it is worth and it does not matter to everyone but it matters to me and seems to matter to a lot of my customers, a LOT of broadheads on the market are made in China. But not all of them.

Finally, I get told all time that mechanicals fly better that fixed blades. As a blanket statement, that is simply NOT true. With proper tuning and good shooting form, it is not hard to get a quality fixed blade to fly well and group just as good as a mechanical. However, it may take more time and possibly some training to achieve that.

For all these reasons, I choose to shoot QAD Exodus broadheads because they are 100% made in the USA and I have yet to find another head that is any better.

Exodus broadheads are great broadheads shot my biggest buck with them fly great & you don’t have to sharpen them they are sharp out of the package not like most broadheads. They zip threw deer and they don’t even know what happened they take a few steps and fall over. And when I shot expaniables they know they been hit and travel further not say you won’t recover them just saying I hunt rough terrain and it makes recovery harder .

Top Bottom