Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brother's Turkey

MuzzHunter

On a 20ft High
Today I tagged along with my dad and brother, to try and get my brother a bird. Well the morning started out with us hearing 3 or 4 birds gobbling, but it seemed like they were pretty far away. Then we had what we thought was a hen roosted by us. Then at about 7:00 the gobbling stopped. As we were sitting there I happened to catch movement of something out in front of me. I knew it was either a turkey or one of the cows on the farm, then my brother spotted it and he got really excited saying "It's a big tom!" Then that's when I could see him better and he was in full strut. Then I spotted another tom with him. This whole time my dad couldn't see either one of the birds. We then had to get my brother into position to be able to shoot. We got him set up in position, so I started to call to birds. After about 15 minutes of watching them put their show on and listening to them gobble, my dad happened to spot two jakes coming right in front of my brother at about 15 yds, my brother elected to pass since he knew there was two bigger birds, so he let them walk with a free pass. By this time the toms had closed the distance from 120yds to 70yds. As soon as the strutter spotted one of the jakes, the toms came on a dead run towards the jakes. When they reached them they both went into full strut and were spitting and drumming,it was awesome, they were at 40 yds but it was too brushy for my brother to shoot Then they ran the jakes off, then went back out to 70 yds and started strutting again. So I decided to cackle at them and when I did that they both went crazy, they gobbled their heads off. Then after watching them for another 5 minutes I lost them behind a rise in the ground. After not hearing them gobble or seeing them strut, I thought for sure they were gone for good. Then about five minutes later by brother spotted them coming and they were coming right towards us. He let them come to about 25yds and took the 1st shot and missed, I couldn't believe it. So he got on that bird and started shooting and he was going to keep shooting until the bird was down or he ran out of shells. Finally on the fourth shot he smoked him. We both ran over to him and found out he was a double bearder. He ended up waying 22.5 lbs, 1st beard= 9", 2nd= 9 1/2" and had 1 1/8". I'm not sure whether I was more excited or if my brother was more excited. It was the best turkey hunt I've ever been on.

3570Br_4.jpg

Sounds to me like the three of you had a pretty exciting time.
grin.gif

Congrats to your brother on his harvest.
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom