Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bruce's food plots planted

iowabruce

I'll try and give everyone some before and after pictures of one of my food plots. This was planted in turnips last fall , and this spring with Tecomate Monster Mix. In august, 1/2 the plot will go back to Bio-logic Maximum. It's amazing what a 5' tiller will do on the back of a compact tractor.
82DSC01709-med.JPG

Last photo ...I promise. This picture shows a couple of trees that I cut down earlier this year. One of my favorite stands is just inside the timber to the left of those trees. The buck in my avatar photo was standing at the very right of this shot. First buck I ever took in one of my own foodplots. Hope this wasn't too long. Good luck everyone with thier food plots the rest of the year. Now, come on rain!
82DSC01727-med.JPG

[ QUOTE ]
Now, come on rain!

[/ QUOTE ]
Great looking plots!
waytogo.gif
Hard to beat a tiller for smaller plots, I know I sure love mine. I hear ya on the rain we sure could use a good soaker right now!

Nice looking plot, thanks for posting the pics. What size tractor (HP) are you running that 5' tiller with? I'd love to get one but its hard to justify $1300+ for less than two acres of plots.

Sure can't beat the one pass prep for a nice looking seedbed.
How long have you been using a tiller? Do you notice any problems with soil getting hard at the bottom of the tillage?

I used a John Deere 3120 that if I remember right has about 26 or 27 hp. And truthfully I could have used just a little more power...I went a little slower than I wanted. So far the tiller has worked out great, I've watch too many guys struggle with pull behind equipment. This plot took one pass with the tiller, then fertilized and seeded. I drug a harrow section behind my atv to cover the seed. One of my biggest challenges with a plot inside my woods is getting enough sun to the ground, too much shade really hurts production.

Bruce,
Nice looking area. Hope you get the rain also. It was nice to meet you this year at the Sport Show. Cousin and I (Jason) finished ours up last weekend. Put in about 4 - 5 acres of hunting and food plots.

We will put two more in at the beginning of August.

If I can figure out how to put pictures on here I will post a few before photos also. In one of my plots I also used a Tecomate mix. Good luck to you.
Risto

Great series of pics Bruce. Did you have any trouble with roots bogging the tiller? I see you left some stumps, just wondering how it handled them? I thought about tilling but I have a lot of trees and roots to deal with in my plot too.

90% of what you see in the photo's tilled up just fine. We had to be real careful around those trees...thank god for a slip clutch on my tiller. The little stuff (roots) it ate right through.

Iowabruce,

Thanks for the photos. They really help get across the idea. Do you have any photos of your tiller? I've been using pull behind for years and like you say it is a pain in small woodland plots.

Old Buck

A friend of mine offered a tractor and tiller job on mine.

Being freshly dozed and seeing the root litter that was left, I decided to spare him the pain.

It took about 8 hours on a small tractor and a 4 foot disc, and I got laughed at by some of my friends, but I got-r-done!
evil.gif

"Perserverance will wear the very stone!"
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It took about 8 hours on a small tractor and a 4 foot disc, and I got laughed at by some of my friends, but I got-r-done!
evil.gif

"Perserverance will wear the very stone!"
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And you did a right fine job I might add!
waytogo.gif

Here's a couple pics of my 60" Kubota Tiller. My JD 790 is only barely 30 hp and it handles it just fine. If one has very loamy loose soil where you can bury it...then it will maker er snort a little, otherwise it works great. Mine is used and abused and it could stand new teeth but it's the best thing since peanut butter for smaller plots!
smile.gif

KubotaTiller.jpg

KubotaTiller2.jpg

DBLTREE is right....to see these 3 point tillers work on these food plots is really slick. One pass and plant! Also that 790 John Deere is a great no nonsense 4wd diesel tractor that is the perfect size for this type of work. Priced right too!

Great looking little plots.
laugh.gif
You guys are lucky to be able to do that. There is NO WAY I could go in and till a little plot like that, we just have way too many BOULDERS 6" under the surface up here. It is ROCKY.

Top Bottom