Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Burn for natives

locust

I'm on the verge or working with PF to plant some native grasses(they are recommending CP25) at my place in SE Iowa. The PF rep is a busy guy and is just going to spray once or twice before drilling...but he'd like to see a burn done and he doesn't have the time. Does anyone know of a guy or an outfit that does controlled burns? PF told me he does it for around 50 bucks an acre which I can handle..I've had one estimate from a guy near IC that was more like 175 an acre. I'd like to burn the thatch(and piles of honey locusts) but can't afford the one estimate I have. Any advise would be appreciated...thanks.

You can always get some help together and maybe the fire dept. and do it yourself. You do need lots of help, backpack sprayers, fire flappers, tractor if possible. Best to mow around it or maybe disc around the outside. Talk to your County Conservation Board for more advice also.
It's nothing to tackle on your own, I can tell you that
smirk.gif

Here's a link with some good info. if you decide to do it yourself...read down thru all the posts to see what all was used: http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3997

50 bucks and acre? Heck I would've burned it for a case a beer
beerchug.gif

anybody got a match??
evil.gif

I was digging through our photo box Friday night, a little stroll down memory lane. I came across some photos of the CRP burns we did when we had 120 acres of switch. I don't have a scanner at home, so won't be able to post anything for a week, but then again, you weren't asking to see photos.

We were lucky to be bounded on three sides by gravel roads. The west edge wasn't gravel, but since the wind is usually from the west, we used that in our favor. We would get a group of about 10-12 people, more is better. We would start the fire on the down wind side (east) and when we thought we had enough of a fire break burned, we would run to the upwind side and light it. I would usually go out with a mower and mow a swath or two around areas we didn't want to burn, then use a hay rake to sweep the litter to the edge to be burned. We burned twice and never had to call the fire department. It came close once, though. We did call the county sherrif before burning so that they could contact the fire department and only come out if we called, instead of somebody driving by.

We will be burning off some riparian buffer areas this spring and it will most likely take two corn fields with it. I'm not too worried about that. I will disc a strip on the bean ground to stop it from running north.

How many acres do you have to burn? At $50-175 an acre, I bet I could get the old gang togethor!

How many acres?? If it not to many I sure you are your friends could handle it. Like said before you will need the rights tools to do the job. I have 200 acres That I am putting in CP-25 and they reqiure burning it in the years 7-8 on the contract. Im not looking foward to that but will just have to take it in very small sections and on a VERY CALM DAY!!!!! Just take it slow...

Like pharmer said, call the local Fire Dept. For my ground they call it a training day and I just give them a donation for their help.

thanks guys, their isn't access to my back field(except ATV and small tractor or pickup) so I'll check with the local FD. I'm tempted to have a few buddy's come down and I'll mow small patches and test burn them. I hate to spend the money, but it seems like the best option before doing the planting.

It will be worth it if you can get it burned. Then it will green up with a flush of new growth that will be easy to kill when your PF guy sprays it.
Goodluck!

Your F.D. will make a path to whatever spot they want to. It saves them time and money if you do a controlled burn while they are present because then it doesnt get out of control and they have to call other departments. Know this from experience. Also if you donate its a tax write off. Keep that in mind.

I was just wondering how come when you burn timber it doesn't burn up the trees like a forest fire does?

Top Bottom