Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bushnell Trophy vs. Moultrie M80

Tried about 7 different cameras but never the M80. I have a Bushnell and love it, batteries last a year or more with lithiums. Pictures were fantastic with the 1st one but it started running away (taking pictures at random) but Bushnell replaced it with a new one last February no questioned asked. I had that one out ever since until a couple weeks ago and it started taking random pictures. I just received another new replacement today. The customer service has been great, except for the inconvenience of sending them back I still think they are a bargin compared to most, great trigger speed and photos, wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I like the compact size and the lock box you can get for them as well.

A lot of good advise thx. Seems like the bushnell is the more popular but defenitely seems like a fair amount get sent back. Have found that on other sites and reviews as well. that kind of scares me.

probably be a game time decision when I go to buy.

thanks again for the help

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

Wow, How did ya get that camera mounted on that deer's head!:rolleyes:

Cool picture!

And BTW I just bought 2 M-80's for just a little more than what one Trophy cam costs. So far I like them but have only had pics in the back yard. Just set them out yesterday so we'll see how they do. When side by side with my Scout Gaurd550 the M-80's were clearly better night and day pics. I don't own any TC's though.

Last edited:
Squid! I was so fixed out the rack that I only saw two of the four bucks in the photo. One of the best I have seen EVER.

I love my Bushnell Trophy cam so much more than my Scoutguard and Moultrie D55ir. Trigger speed, picture clarity, battery life, and the 2-year warranty is what's making me a loyal customer. Trigger speed is awesome on them. I rarely get any butt shots or blank pics.

I have the 2010 model (the year with all the runaway trigger issues), used it all year on the one set of lithiums, and it just started having the trigger issues in December. But really, I don't give a rat's a**, cuz I'll be returning it and getting a brand new one fo free.

These cameras take so much abuse, and there's so much that can go wrong. A warranty means everything for these things IMO.

Tho the M80's look good, I haven't had any experiences with them.

Bushnell has some really cool new cams coming. Way better trigger speed and even the cheaper ones take HD video now I believe. Can also program field scan for morning and evening only (not all day long) Lots of new features. The Bushells are my best selling cams with the new Cuddeback Attack in second place.

Quick M-80 question. I am trying to get the update to take on my cameras. I have downloaded the update to an empty card. I turned on my camera with it in the aim position like it says and all I have on the screen is "version (number series)". It doesn't seem to acknowledge the update on the card. I know it says that it has to be unzipped so how do you "unzip" the update so the camera can use it to update? Thanks to anyone who can help me with this!!!

showstopper said:
Quick M-80 question. I am trying to get the update to take on my cameras. I have downloaded the update to an empty card. I turned on my camera with it in the aim position like it says and all I have on the screen is "version (number series)". It doesn't seem to acknowledge the update on the card. I know it says that it has to be unzipped so how do you "unzip" the update so the camera can use it to update? Thanks to anyone who can help me with this!!!

It's been awhile sense I did mine. I think you have to right click on the file you down loaded. You should have an unzip option. Do that then there should be a file named main.elf. Send that to your SD card. I formatted the card before I did this just for good measure.

Sent using IW app

I got 11 pictures out of my first set of lithiums with my new M-80 during late muzzleloader season. Disappointing to say the least.

Just ordered the bushnell 5.0. Thanks for all the info.

Any suggestions on the best way to set one up. What settings to use, updates, etc.

You won't be disappointed. I put lithium batteries in mine and it's been out over a year still going strong after several thousand pictures and brutal conditions.

I pulled a card from my new M-80 over the weekend. I also have owned an older Bushnell for about 3 yrs. Here is my first comparative impressions (both cams operating on a stationary cam site versus a trail observation setup):

Night Images - advantage to the Bushnell, definately crisper image quality

Daylight Images - advantage to the Moultrie, digital camera quality images, I was impressed !!

Battery Life - big advantage for the Bushnell. If I had to choose a cam for long intervals between card checks, I would definately go with the Bushnell. The M-80 was on a two week run when I changed cards on Sat. and the unit was dead. My Bushnell has been running on the same batts since Sept.

Cost - I picked up my M-80 at Wal-Mart after hunting season for about $100. My Bushnell was close to $200. You can figure this one out :rolleyes:.

Overall - both decent cams, just have to be realistic about your expectations with one costing 1/2 the price of the other. I will get decent usage out of both units and am confident both will provide me with usable and informative images.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I wonder if the poor battery life issue on the M-80's is only on some cams. I purchased a couple a month ago and was worried about it since right after I bought them I saw some posts about poor battery life. Well now they've been out for 3 weeks and one cam had 82% battery and the other 90% when I checked them yesterday. Both cams take an average of 250 pics per week. This is with regular rayovac AA's. The percentage is only what it read on the cams so time will tell how long they really do last.

So far I'm pleased for the $100 I spent on them. However, as some have mentioned day pics are great but only have of night pics are clear.

I will say in the two weeks the M-80 was out, it snapped over 1,000 images so it gave me plenty of content to review.:D

Top Bottom