Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Calling, Scent and Everything in Between!

ColoredRed24

Starting to get to that time of the year!

What tactics will people be using this weekend?

What about next weekend?

Things that come to mind - doe scents, rattling, grunting, can calls, etc.

Any difference for pre-rut vs peak rut? (I am assuming post-rut would be similar to pre-rut tactics)

Happy Hunting!

I pretty much don't use scents, other than I do use Smokey's Gland Lure on my rope scrapes. I love to rattle bucks in, but don't do it all that often these days. My opinion is that it can be quite effective at times, but generally works on bucks aged 1 to 3 years old...which I pretty much don't want to shoot. So, these days, I am more persuaded to not clank the the ol' horns together too much. Although I will use them if I see a buck that I want and he isn't going to come my way.

I use a grunt tube with some frequency and also a snort-wheeze at times. I would be comfortable with using the grunt tube now and I saw some bucks lightly sparring (light rattling) last Monday. If I was going to rattle now I would be more on the "tickle" side of the scale and wait a week or before really clashing them together.

I pretty much don't use scents, other than I do use Smokey's Gland Lure on my rope scrapes. I love to rattle bucks in, but don't do it all that often these days. My opinion is that it can be quite effective at times, but generally works on bucks aged 1 to 3 years old...which I pretty much don't want to shoot. So, these days, I am more persuaded to not clank the the ol' horns together too much. Although I will use them if I see a buck that I want and he isn't going to come my way.

I use a grunt tube with some frequency and also a snort-wheeze at times. I would be comfortable with using the grunt tube now and I saw some bucks lightly sparring (light rattling) last Monday. If I was going to rattle now I would be more on the "tickle" side of the scale and wait a week or before really clashing them together
Daver, you saved me some typing, pretty much my tactics as well. I've called buck in using grunt calls, buck growl and rattling but very selective on when and what the conditions are. I stay away from scents except a forehead gland scent for camera set ups.

Daver, you saved me some typing, pretty much my tactics as well. I've called buck in using grunt calls, buck growl and rattling but very selective on when and what the conditions are. I stay away from scents except a forehead gland scent for camera set ups.
What conditions are right for rattling a little? What time of year would that be?

I figured pre-rut would be a good time. 2 bucks fighting so the third thinks there is a hot doe perhaps?

What conditions are right for rattling a little? What time of year would that be?

I figured pre-rut would be a good time. 2 bucks fighting so the third thinks there is a hot doe perhaps?
Right now I would just do light rattling, nothing loud or prolonged. I would not really smash them until probably a week into November. I agree with Daver that it seems to have the dinks or 2.5s more interested than anything, its just a lot fun.

I would say rattling has worked best for me on days when the deer are already pretty charged up...high pressure cold fronts and so forth. If they are in a "moseying" kind of mood then not so much.

I am sure you could rattle in a buck right now, but I would go easy on the noise right now. In about a week to 10 days though...then you can ramp it up. The real fights are more common in the first 10 days of November I would say. Consequently, I would make more noise in that time range.

FWIW, I think you are more likely to call in a buck that you would want to shoot right now with a grunt tube than rattling antlers. But...none of these things can be said with certainty...any given buck on any given day could favor, or be turned off, by any attempt to call it.

Also, I very much believe that the buck's personality will influence how it responds to calling. Some are docile, shy and often react negatively to calling. This can be true even for large antlered, older bucks. Some are ready to "throw down" right now and will come on a string...while sporting a true scrag horn rack.

If I see a buck I want out of range. I try to turn him around with a grunt. If he doesn't hear me I grunt louder. If he still doesn't hear I snort wheeze. Usually the snort wheeze turns him around.

I try not to blind rattle unless I have an absolute bulletproof set up (cliff behind me), they always come in down wind and it's just not worth it getting busted. If a buck is say 100 yards away and I have eyes on him, I'll make a gamble and rattle. Can usually get a shot off before he is completely down wind. Fun stuff.

When I rattle I always seem to bust up my own knuckles or get busted. When I grunt, I say the wrong thing. When I snort wheeze I swear they roll their eyes. So my 4 step strategy is pretty simple.

1) Climb up
2) Sit down
3) Shut up
4) Don't move
That’s pretty much my advice but tomorrow I’ll by hunting a open country buck and if he’s not there at first light I’ll rattle softly. Haven’t rattled for several years and sure wish I had a decoy! Wapsi are you busy in the morning?:D

My strategy YMMV
Bling calling - no
Rattling - no
Scents - no
Cans - no
Grunt - rarely
Snort Wheeze - almost never
Funnel - yes
Trail to doe food or bed- yes
Intersection of multiple trails - yes
Grunt - if I catch a shooter chasing a doe and she’s not ready, when the chase is over, I’m calling him collect!
Snort-wheeze - when he’s not coming my way and he won’t respond to grunts.
Last thought, I don’t call to bucks unless they are DEFINITELY not coming my direction and likely to get into bow range.

Must I wear clothes? Cuz...if so, I am out! o_O
I know you're just taunting me to pull out your swamp rat birthday suit picture again. Sorry man, but if I flash that picture more than once a year, Skip is gonna boot me out of here! No worries, I'm sure you'll give me some low hanging fruit and an excuse to post it up again next year. ;)

How about the doe can call? That's my go to once the rut is in full swing (November). I like it because once the does are getting harassed by the bucks, any buck sound will send your bait, aka the does, running.

On public land I rarely ever blind call, and only call a buck if he is not heading my direction.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rattling I believe is overrated for mature deer and I think often times hurts more than helps. Don’t get me wrong if I am trying to get one’s attention and a grunt call isn’t working I will grab the horns.
I like to blind grunt every now and then and if I see a big buck and want to get his attention I will often use the grunt call.

That is about it anymore. Scents don’t work IMO, maybe for cover but I haven’t seen to many deer come in nose down on a drag rag!

No does around…. 2 rattles per sit maximum IMO if a guy is gonna do it. & id do it when it’s “boring” or don’t have much to lose. The guys that overdo it are the ones that get 1-2 year olds running into rattling so they just get carried away IMO.
Does hate it IMO so do it limited. I would NOT rattle in a PM hunt by food. That’s me.
Right now when bucks locked with does- think it’s least effective but still possible.
Personally- I don’t rattle or call much. BUT!!!!!!….. when I see a buck that’s not on a hot doe - I’ll call to him. Carefully. I’ll know pretty fast if he’s interested or not. Rattle or grunt or both. Killed a lot of deer seeing them at distance & carefully rattling or grunting. Will get better after most does bred & bucks again looking. You gonna know if he’s interested or could care less pretty quick. Just don’t over do the blind ratting & calling IMO
I personally don’t do anything else like scent or anything but that isn’t to say it doesn’t work. Horns & a good deep loud grunt are my favorite go to tools that are used occasionally but often successfully when u get the right buck in the right mood.
Good luck to u all and love reading others methods of success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom