Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Camera choice for homebrew, new models?

huntdoc

I see some new camera models being mentioned for homebrews. What are the best new options for speed, flash, etc now that p41 is getting hard to find. Appreciate help!!!

What are some of the new cameras out there that are suitable? I have not been on a trail cam forum in awhile. bfoutdoors lingers around here, maybe he will have some insight on the latest and greatest

Im not going to be much help on this one. I havent kept up with it the last few months.

Id still try and find a sony if you can.

My brother has started using Nikon L14's and having good luck, 7mp and a good trigger speed. Large LCD screen makes nice for quick viewing in the field too..as long as it isn't freezing! The only "down fall" I guess is that the 7mp pictures take up a lot more room on the cards so you have to run larger cards, or just don't expect to hold as many pictures.

Flash is real good, battery life is awesome, people aren't putting externals in and just running it off of AA lithiums and getting roughly a 1000 pics, obviously this will varry but still a lot. Here is a sample pic to check out the flash and quality. If you got anymore questions I'll ask him but I don't know much else about them..he just showed me how to turn them on and off the other day! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
DSCN0068.jpg

109_0187.jpg

109_0188.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a step by step hack (with pics) for the Nikon L14

It looks like a person can pick these cameras up for around $100 new. </div></div>

Looks like it could be a good cam, if it didnt have the zoom lense. I really hate those. Just something else to break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like it could be a good cam, if it didnt have the zoom lense. I really hate those. Just something else to break. </div></div>

Putting a "snorkel" on the case to accommodate the zoom lens looks like an added hassle as well.

The zoom lens may be just another thing that would happen to break but it does not slow the camera down. I am getting about 2-2.5 second trigger speeds and with a HPWA lens it is perfect. Also the snorkel is not to hard to do, just drill a 1.5 inch hole and it has a lip on the back edge so it fits perfect. I really like them and think that for $100 new I would rather have them than a P41, just for the price.

Could you disable the zoom lense so it is always open?

Kind of like on the p41's and 32's when you disable the shutter motor.

I would think if you could do this it would save battery life and gain speed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallTines</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you disable the zoom lense so it is always open?

</div></div>

Most of them have a sensor that has to be tripped either during power up or powering down and cant be bypassed.

Installing the snorkle isn't a hassle at all, like said before just drill the hole as you do with all cams and the snorkle slips in from the back side and has a lip in it that allows you to set it in real easy. For $100 we are enjoying the cams, the zoom feature hasn't been an issue yet but we'll let you know if it happens to act up for us.

I have 3 Sony S600's and the 2 I checked today have 4,000 and 5,500 pics taken so far with no problems on the zoom lens (knock on wood), so that part doesnt bother me much. I doubt they would beat the 600 in flash range and price sounds about the same. Sell me on the Nikons, where would they beat the 600's? Battery life (600's are excellent), easy to hack (600's are not), 6mp vs 7.2 is close enough.
Are you getting 2-2.5 seconds in total darkness? How about after leaving the cam for 50 minutes? Is there an infinity focus setting like the P41? Does it have a time/date stamp?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> no problems on the zoom lens (knock on wood), </div></div>

No need for the "snorkel" for the Sony 600 either is that right TP?

The Nikon setup certainly looks like a good option though. Better to not have everyone and his brother bidding on one style/make of camera... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

No, the 600 doesnt need a snorkel to fit in a 1040. Not having to buy on Ebay would be a nice advantage to the Nikon though.

THe Nikon flash is just equivalent to the P32; good flash but can not beat the S600. The hack is very easy, just a matter of taking up the piece of tape over the power button, scraping a small part of the tan colored material that covers the metal (I have no idea what it is called) then that exposes the metal and you solder the power wire to that, the other two are just soldered right to a certain part. Battery life is supposed to be 1000 pictures with a pair of AA lithium batteries, that is Nikon's claim, I myself have not tested that. Detecting motion, start up time, and taking a picture is only 2-2.5 seconds during the day, at night I am not sure, probably close to the same. And I am not sure about the infinity focus, what is it?

Sounds like i need to try a nikon. If the speed is just as good at night it would be an improvement over the s600. If the speed is lagged due to the flash needing charged, id take the s600 any day of the week.

vman I have never used an S600 but I do not think it takes long for the flash to recharge, less than ten seconds later it is ready to take another picture.

Top Bottom