Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Camo Evolution

NebraskaWhitetail

Just an observation, but has anyone else noticed how the general trend in camo patterns seems be be going back to simpler designs? I think the first real camo designed specifically for hunters was Jim Crumley's Trebark which was a pretty basic pattern of lines and shades. Then it seemed like patterns got more and more complex until they were "utlra-realistic" and almost photographic. The newest stuff from Predator, NaturalGear, and others seems to be heading back towards the basics again (which I don't think is a bad thing). Just curious is anyone else was seeing this same kind of a trend....

Open patterns are where it is at with me and a lot of bowhunters. Predator, ASAT, Sticks and Limbs, Skyline, Enigma etc. Predator is my favorite.

Why are they changing? Honest research or market segment?

What looks good to me probably sticks out like a sore thumb to what ever I am hunting.

The 'Bonker

People are going away fro the "blob" look.

Currently, I have mostly blob camo.
frown.gif

How did I know you were going to be my support group Limb?
grin.gif

If they sent us out shopping it would be about as good of match as Britney Spears and Paris Hilton out at the clubs. In other words, Mommas wouldnt be happy when we got home.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What looks good to me probably sticks out like a sore thumb to what ever I am hunting.

[/ QUOTE ]

So in other words, 'Bonker, you're saying that you are gonna stick with the 'Bonkerflague for the time being?
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I guess what I'm asking is how did anybody detrmine that the animals we are hunting look at us and see a "blob"? Is there any actual facts on this or are the cammo companies out there trying to sell us stuff because we want new, perhaps unproven, stuff? How do we know the new trend is based on science? I've only ever seen one actual study done in the '90s on what a whitetail "might" see. The study was linked to a post here sometime back. Is the rush to new open patterns based on passive observation by hunters?

Hunter A wears Mossy and saw X number of deer where as hunter B wore the "latest pattern" and saw Y number of deer (where Y>X) therefore "open pattern" cammo is better? Way too many variables for me. Having said that, there are a few hunters who's opinions I trust implicitly. I just like to see facts before I drink the kool-aid.

BONKERFLUGE RULES!!!! However, I do plan on giving Gray Wolf a very close look at the Classic. I may even get measured. Gee I hope there is cupping.

The 'Bonker

At one time, about 30 years ago, I had a Hawaiian camo hat. People use to give me a hard time about it.
grin.gif

But actually, look at Bonker in black and white. He's got great contrast.
Get a pair of pants to match Bonk, You'll do well.
552Bonker.JPG

I think alot of people blame the blob effect to retarded set ups on their part. Of course they always have the perfect set up, so it must be the camo right? I think this one is a myth, I have hunted many late muzzleloader and shotgun seasons wearing blaze orange from head to toe and could of killed many deer with my bow that never knew I was there.
shrug[1].gif

Cupping would be nice Bonker,since I always thought a courtesy reach around would be nice after I have been bent over by some companies.

I just stick with the Nat Gear. Seems like it goes with a lot of scenarios and it is reasonably priced as I don't wear the scent lock either. I seen a guy hunting in Canada wearing red coveralls. And he actually killed a deer!!
grin.gif

I wear the Predator brand out west since alot of your time if not all your time is spent on the ground. Natural Gear and the New Brush Pattern also seem to work well on the ground out west and would likely work well on the ground in the Midwest.

Keep the dark colors at home out West, you stick out horribly.

IMO this changes when you are up in trees. If you have good backcover which most people here are probably hunting a large oak, hickory etc I believe you want a darker pattern versus something like the predator camo. You want to blend in with the tree/not contrast it. I like Mossy Oak Treestand (older pattern) or the Realtree HD Grey. The Mossy Oak treestand had alot of light colors (yellow, beige) mixed in with darker browns and blacks a performs similair to the Predator Deception pattern. The Real Tree HD Grey has enough light grey mixed with the darker colors that I believe it functions well in a tree stand. Most of the other darker camo patterns do not blend that well IMO on the ground or in a tree and I don't own any.

If you have a spindly tree with no back cover then I would likely use one of the Predator brands again because it would help you blend in better with the light skyline with the mosaic of greys and beige's. Given all this, rarely does a deer "spot me" in a tree. They will spot me much easier on the ground. If they do spot you is probably because they saw movement or your backcover was crappy and not a flaw in your camo pattern.

'Bonk - I think that simpler patterns are able to blend into many more types of terrain, than the complicated "HighDef XYZ 3D Leafy 2000 Thingamajig Tech" garments on the market.

That's why I use Natgear... it's simple, brown and affordable. A light or nature-neutral tone such as brown will work in most all hunting situations. Even in the snow it's more muted than a darker green and black Mossy Oak pattern will ever be. I can't afford to buy 5 sets of hunting clothes for every possible setup.

The Predator line is also quite nice for basically the same reason.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I think alot of people blame the blob effect to retarded set ups on their part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Liv...I think the camo is more us then the deer
smirk.gif

It's all about marketing (nuthin wrong with that either) and companies are going to market what we find attractive.

I have an older friend who has to hunt from the ground more and more, he often wears just plain ole "Army camo" and rarely gets busted.

I think the keys are background and covering one's face...or being high enough that it doesn't matter.

The functionality of the clothing is more important to me (warmth, pockets, fit to allow me to draw etc.)

I bought mine some years ago from Raven Wear up in Alberta and frankly it will likely last the rest of my life....hopefully that's a really really long time!
blush.gif
grin.gif

I second "plain ole army camo" although I have long out grown most of mine I have killed several deer and turkeys wearing it. Guess its getting harder for me to spend good money on something "made in China " just because it says Realtree/MossyOak on it.

If you really want to slip through the woods unnoticed, just pick yourself up one of these head garments...you will blend in like a chameleon, either that or the deer will be so star struck they'll line up at the base of your tree for autographs
grin.gif

752elvis.jpg

I saw a special on the history channel once about the evolution of camo. Towards the end, they had a field comparison between the old standard military camo, the new digital military camo, MO, & RT designs. I was surprised that at a distance of 100 yards, the new digital military pattern appeared to blend the best in 3 different types of terrain.
Still, the best camo & stand set up will get you nowhere without the right scent control.

Top Bottom