Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Canola

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
Hey all,

Just wondering if any one has experience with planting straight winter canola for a fall plot. I did some searching on here already and it really doesnt look like anyone has spent any serious effort on canola?

I heard its a dynomite lateseason attractant. I looked through Welters site and it doesnt appear they sell it.

If anybody knows anything about winter canola please share some info.

Canola and rape are the exact same thing so rape varieties such as Dwarf Essex Rape are for all practical purposes the same thing.

Rapeseed producers decided once upon a time that they needd a more attractive name so rather then market "rapeseed" oil the changed the name to "canola" oil.

Canola varieties have been devloped for oil seed production while rape varieties have been developed for forage.

Deer will eat them all because they are essentially the same thing. I believe I have a post on this subject in the brassica thread too.

I would also add that planting canola/rape alone will short change your deer because without mixing turnips for root production you won't have any late season food sources. The rape will freeze off eventually leaving a barren plot whereas adding turnips will continue to feed deer all winter.

Check the last post in the brassica thread in dbltree's corner...those deer are feeding on turnips...not rape/canola....;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom