Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chicory Plus and Winter Wheat

Keef

I'm planting some Whitetail Institute Chicory Plus (clover) in September. The instructions say use 20 lbs per 3 acres. If I want to plant some winter wheat with it, how many pounds per acre do you recommend?

Thanks for any help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm planting some Whitetail Institute Chicory Plus (clover) in September. The instructions say use 20 lbs per 3 acres. If I want to plant some winter wheat with it, how many pounds per acre do you recommend?

Thanks for any help. </div></div>

Winter wheat is normally sown at 1.5 - 2 bushel per acre (one bushel of wheat= 60 pounds) so somewhere between 8-120#'s per acre.

Wheat is pretty thick and dense when it matures so you'll most likely want to clip it off when it starts really growing next spring. You can also kill it with Selct grass herbicide

I like to use rye and oats simply because the oats will freeze out eventually leaving a nice mulch and the rye will grow very tall then kind of "fall/bend" over next spring and not be quite so dense.

You can then just clip it at some point when you clip the clover, if you use wheat just don't let it get to high before you mow it or the "leavings" will smother the clover seedlings. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

dbltree,
Thanks for the info. If I use oats or rye do I have to be concerned about them coming back and smothering the clover or is it truly an annual and you don't have to worry much about carry over seed the next year?

Also is the seed rate about the same for oats as wheat?

Thanks for your help. I'm new to this and boy am I learning a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dbltree,
Thanks for the info. If I use oats or rye do I have to be concerned about them coming back and smothering the clover or is it truly an annual and you don't have to worry much about carry over seed the next year?

Also is the seed rate about the same for oats as wheat?

Thanks for your help. I'm new to this and boy am I learning a lot. </div></div>

The beauty of using oats for a fall plot/clover seeding is that they will freeze off...problem solved!

Rye will survive the winter just like WW but it won't grow back. If you clip it, it won't even produce seed, if you don't cut it the clover will still out compete any rye that might try to sprout from seed.

I believe we have some great pictures of clover in rye the following year in the clover thread as well as the cereal grain thread.

The pictures will tell the story and you'll see it won't be a problem... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

dbltree,

Those pictures tell the story for sure. Oats it will be.

What is the seeding rate for oats when I mix it with the clover?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the seeding rate for oats when I mix it with the clover?
</div></div>

80-100#'s of oats per acre will work just fine.

A bushel of oats is roughly 32#'s and any oats will do.

Forage oats might be a little more attractive but I've found that deer will readily devour any oats you offer them. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom