Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chupacabra

We went out again today and Colton shot a big, nice coyote without mange. It is about 50/50 here. Half have nice fur, the other half suffering from mange bad. Like several have also said with the 17HMR, it spun around and dropped, but got back up again and got into the timber before we could hit it again. Followed a slight bloodtrail for 50 yards but quit bleeding. We will probably find it next week at the bottom in the ditch when shed hunting. No doubt with the 17HMR perfect shot placement is gonna be the key to a easily recovered yote. 2 coyotes in 2 days though, we are on a roll!

Very cool! What causes the mange?
I have a .308 AR coming so hopefully that's "enough gun" for a coyote? :)

That should do it Skip. Our problem is we are 1 shot bow/mloader hunters. They drop and we forget to jack another shell in and shoot again if they get up. We just looked at each other like Duh! The mange is from mites, kinda like lice. The dens hold them I think and keep spreading it, especially to the pups during the spring/summer.

Last edited:
Mange is caused by a mite. Some canines can tolerate it, others have a reaction that causes hair loss.

Demodetic or sarcoptic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mange

On another note, how many people are actually skinning all the yotes they shoot? If you aren't, what does it matter if they run off to die elsewhere?

Very true. This one was a big pretty one, but I still would not want to touch it. I think almost all of ours probably have it to some degree.
I would hate to bring the little buggers back to our house dogs.

Do you guys that handle them have any concerns? I was itchy for the rest of yesterday after dragging away that hyena. My dogs will be getting the frontline next month so that will take care of anything, I guess.

I had a German shepherd that looked worse than that coyote, treated for many different possible things, vet never figured out was wrong, so I guess a lot of different things can affect canines.

6x6 said:
Very true. This one was a big pretty one, but I still would not want to touch it. I think almost all of ours probably have it to some degree.
I would hate to bring the little buggers back to our house dogs.

Do you guys that handle them have any concerns? I was itchy for the rest of yesterday after dragging away that hyena. My dogs will be getting the frontline next month so that will take care of anything, I guess.

We don't even touch them. I've heard horror stories of people getting it from coyotes but don't know anybody that it actually has happened too. Could be just an urban myth. We used to pour our hounds with a small dose of IVOMEC. That worked to prevent them from contracting it.

You should have taken it to your taxidermist and ask for a full body mount just to see his reaction! :) That has got to be one of the nastiest looking yotes I have ever seen, congrats on thinning their pack. :way: Some guys are getting around $40-50 for coyote pelts in my area.

From what iv'e read, mange is species specific. For example the mite on a coyote doesn't stay on a fox & visa-versa.

The mange in my area the last 3 years has helped our fawn survival so I don't care if we have it.

Top Bottom