Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cold Feet

Trapshooter1

One time I was out hunting the late season in brutally cold temperatures and I think I got a hint of frost bite on my feet. Ever since then I have had trouble keeping my feet warm during the late season.
I wear the thickest thinsulated boots I can buy. And have tried different combinations of thick socks i can buy at theisens, and the best I can do is last is about 2 hours.

Are there any socks out there on the market that will keep your feet warm period. Not concerned about price if they are expensive. Just getting tired of cold feet. I normally sit in box blinds or tuck into snow banks during the late season.

I like my heated socks I got from amazon. They are relatively inexpensive and last about 6 hours and recharge via usb charger. The trick I found is to put on a thin pair of normal socks then put on the heated ones. I wear Danner pronghorns 800g for boots. Toasty feet

I would suggest the heated socks also. Otherwise maybe those arctic shield booties that go on over your boots when you get to the blind would help as well

Ya, if it's a circulation problem you're going to have to use a heat source. If you're in a box blind use a buddy heater, just don't melt the soles of your boots. If you're in a snowbank, you're going to want heated socks or insoles.

Lucky was looking on Amazon, which ones work the best for you? They range from 30-60 bucks, not a big price swing just want the best ones.

Boot blankets work amazingly well. I was very surprised at how having just a thin extra layer over the exterior of my boots kept my feet warm. I haven’t even had to throw hand warmers in them in the 3 years I ve been wearing them and I have hunted quite a bit in the late season in those three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im from wi and best way i found is wear light hiking boots and socks for walk in carry warm boots over shoulder when you get to stand remove boots n socks dry feet with hand towel put on dry wool socks and toe warmers in boots and put warm boots on . I put dirty socks in zip lock in my back pack and boots in pack also you will be good all day!! Maybe change toe warmer if need to half way thru!!!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Trying out the fieldsheer socks this fall. So far have worked well for me. As mentioned before, thin sock underneath help. Links to your phone so you can change settings during the hunt if you want, but so far haven't needed anything above low to keep my feet warm.

My wife swears by Alpaca socks- something about them she’s never had cold deer again. But- she wears a light pair in and then adds the other pair at the stand

I suffered bad with cold feet for years. And I mean suffered, truly suffered, probably to the point of nearly doing damage. I was young and dumb, just thought i'd tough it out and I couldnt figure out how to keep my feet warm. Always been a problem.

I got the artic shield boot blankets a few years ago and they help a ton! Might get a little chilly, but totally barrable now, just toss a hand warmer in them if my toes start to get a little chill and I'm good. fyi if you buy them, get a couple sizes bigger than what you normally wear for a boot.

What I do now, is not wear a super heavy insulated boot like I use to. I think my feet would get to warm walking in and start sweating and then after I cool down my toes/feet would freeze. Instead just wear a moderate boot, with a good wool sock. For the wool sock get long ones. I have a couple pairs that go up over my calves almost to my knees, i think that really helps with circulation. Once I'm up in the tree then I sleep the boot blankets over my boots. Also I will rub antiperspirant on my feet in the morning. I just wear crocs with normal socks for the drive from home to hunt. When I pull in to get ready and step out of the vehicle then I take off the normal socks and put the wool socks and boots on.

I would like to try some battery heated socks and see how those do. I have not tried that yet.

Another vote for Arctic Shield boot covers. Best if you can try them on at the store so you know for sure they'll fit easily over your hunting boot. Or you may have to return them. Also, don't forget to take them off after getting out of your stand.

Great thread! I suffer from the exact same condition. Hands, feet.

For those of you that use the Arctic Shield boot covers…I bought a pair many years ago. They were so loud on the platform of my tree stand they lasted about 2 minutes and went in the trash.

Have they improved that? Are the soles totally quiet on stand now?

Great thread! I suffer from the exact same condition. Hands, feet.

For those of you that use the Arctic Shield boot covers…I bought a pair many years ago. They were so loud on the platform of my tree stand they lasted about 2 minutes and went in the trash.

Have they improved that? Are the soles totally quiet on stand now?
I've had mine 3 or 4 years now. Mine are fine on the stand, dont make noise.

One lesson I learned, use boots one size larger, tight footwear tends to limit circulation. Things were better once I went with a larger size boot.

An old trick is to get a cheap space blanket and use your insole to cut out a template from the blanket it and put in your boot. I haven't personally done it but have read some people swear by it. I personally bought the Iwom "bunny Suit". I can wear tennis shoes down to at least 20 degrees.

An old trick is to get a cheap space blanket and use your insole to cut out a template from the blanket it and put in your boot. I haven't personally done it but have read some people swear by it. I personally bought the Iwom "bunny Suit". I can wear tennis shoes down to at least 20 degrees.
I’m getting an IWOM for XMAS. Fingers crossed it works as advertised.

Right now I wear an uninsulated boot and thin wool sock to the tree, layer a heavier pair on top, and use boot blankets. Fine until wind chills dip below 30 or its snow out, then I go to the Baffin insulated boots.

Boot blankets are fine, but those along with hauling a jacket and all the extra clothes, on top of my stand and sticks make late season hunting a PITA.

Reactions: HWC
Top Bottom