Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cold Gear

Field Service

Anyone have experience with the Under Armor Cold Gear. I'm looking for a base liner of some sort. I'm tired of being cold in the stand and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with growing up next to a wood stove....

Trying to stay way from bulk, suggestions?

Under Armour Cold Gear is the best invention since the Wheel. The stuff is unbelievable. Its pricey, but worth every penny. I find myself on the coldest days of winter wearing the cold gear as a base layer, a pair of camo pants, and coveralls and I never get cold anymore. Its also nice when it is about 25-30 degrees out just to be able to wear cold gear and camo pants and not have to break out the coverals that early in the year.

I have found that wearing the cold gear base layer makes a huge difference. I wear it under my Dream season suit and am was very warm, but during late season I still needed another layer between it and my suit to stay warm. Scent blocker makes a new base layer im going to try its about the same price as the coldgear and is supose to be nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LIV4RUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Under Armour Cold Gear is the best invention since the Wheel. The stuff is unbelievable. Its pricey, but worth every penny. I find myself on the coldest days of winter wearing the cold gear as a base layer, a pair of camo pants, and coveralls and I never get cold anymore. Its also nice when it is about 25-30 degrees out just to be able to wear cold gear and camo pants and not have to break out the coverals that early in the year. </div></div>

Bingo, I completely agree. It has to be so cold it's retarded for me to wear more than just UA cold gear and regular camo. I have 3 sets of the tops and bottoms and as LIV stated, they're worth every dang penny.

Another vote here for UA cold gear. It should fit fairly snug. The only thing I don't like about it is that you look nothing like the guy in the magazines when you wear it. I must have got a defective set. I thought it was suppposed to make ya look ripped?

This stuff is phenomanal (sp). I have a set of cold gear and love it. I love all the UA products. It's spendy but like the others said, worth every penny. It's snug. Alot of it is compression fit but it works!!! Just takes some getting used to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Field Service</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to give it a try, how should the stuff fit? Snug/loose/baggie and does it shrink when washed and dried? </div></div>

I went with XXL sizes because I can't stand it when the stuff is super tight, it always rides up. Even super sized it fits tight enough to retain heat. My stuff hasn't shunk but I NEVER put it in the dryer, always hang it and let it air dry.

My son has had the UA cold weather tops for several years for those cold spring baseball tourneys, and I bought him some bottoms last year for hunting. I have had the ScentLoc Baselayers before the UA stuff came out and it also work pretty good. I buy so much of the UA stuff for my kids for sports (long sleeve,short sleeve,hot and cold gear)that I can't afford it for myself. My kids stuff goes thru alot and we just toss in the wash and air dry and have never had a piece wear out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LIV4RUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Under Armour Cold Gear is the best invention since the Wheel. The stuff is unbelievable. </div></div>

Couldn't agree more. It's beyond key for staying warm. Do <u>NOT </u> hesitate, spend the money and welcome to the world of treestand comfort.

One more question, online they have Mock style shirts and Scheels has a camo pullover with front zipper that drops to about mid chest.

I can see the shirts fitting a lot tighter, but the zipper would be nice for the walks into the stand and trying not to over heat/sweat. Do you think the looser fitting pullover would compromise it's cold effectiveness?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Field Service</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you think the looser fitting pullover would compromise it's cold effectiveness?
</div></div>

I'm not 100% but I'd say yes it would compromise it. Part of the philosophy of the stuff is to eliminate air gaps. It fits like a second skin. I thought I would hate it because of that reason but it's silk-like and stretchy and it turned out to be very comfortable. Somehow it breathes pretty good too particularly when you don't have other layers over it so what I do is leave my jacket/coat off for the walk to the stand, hoist it up with my bow and put it on then.

Yup, just wait to put your coat on until you get to the stand...plus take your time and you shouldn't get too hot.

COLD GEAR is for sure the way to go for base layers because you can just layer over it if you get cold...but chances are it won't take much.

Upper 20's last year I had on my ColdGear and a carhardt thermal lined sweatshirt and insulated fleece lined pants with uninsulated bibs and carrying my coat. Sat for four hours and the only thing cold was my nose.

You want it fairly snug, because it was made to wick away the sweat from your body to keep you warm. The guy that designed it was a college quarterback and hated having to change t-shirts under his shoulderpads at halftime because they were soaked with sweat.

I see they've got different thicknesses of ColdGear. 1.0, 2.0, 3.0....Cold to coldest. What's everyone bought or preferred?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see they've got different thicknesses of ColdGear. 1.0, 2.0, 3.0....Cold to coldest. What's everyone bought or preferred?</div></div>

I bought mine when you either bought heat gear or cold gear, there were no ratings on the cold gear.

Make sure and read the instructions for care. My wife washed the first top I had, that I use for Coaching Chilly Friday Night Football Games, and used liquid softner it has never been the same. The one that I take care of and use hunting I have never used the softner on and only scent eliminating soap on and works great.

Top Bottom