Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

COLD WEATHER AND TURKEY ACTIVITY

Crispy

I have visited this site several times and finally decided to register today. I have a ? for all of the turkey chasers here. I'm planning on bringing my boy out for his 1st hunt next weekend and am wondering if this unseasonably cold weather is going to have an adverse affect on the turkey activity. I live about 2 hrs north of our hunt area so I can't just check on the birds day to day. Has anybody been seeing a drop in the bird activity. I know the birds at the Rock Rapids zoo were willing to gobble when we yelped at them with our voice but they gobbled when my 3 yr old gave them a hot dog bun too. Thanks and have a great spring.

I can remember a snap like this a number of years ago. 18 degrees on the therm and calm in the morning; birds were rock'n that weekend. I think if its windy, it might be tough with those temps though.

I know it's just the opposite of last year. I sat in the Matrix 1st season in my underbritches.
blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
know it's just the opposite of last year. I sat in the Matrix 1st season in my underbritches

[/ QUOTE ]

too much infromation, brotha
wink.gif

If you all remember it was 92 degrees last year on the Thursday of 1st season. You gotta do whatever it takes. Would it help if I said my wife was with?

I would be more worried about the affect it will have on your boy. It looks like maybe a slight warm up for next weekend. Good luck!

Id have to agree, cold isnt such a bad thing, but the wind will shut them down real quick.....
ill be out there, i can guaruntee that!!!

[ QUOTE ]
the wind will shut them down real quick.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's hope the bitter cold winds will have given way to some nicer weather...I'm still trying to thaw out!
crazy.gif
grin.gif

I had some field work to do this week so Friday I decided to sit in a tent blind until after daylight to what if anything was happening before I cranked up the tractor.

The only thing I saw was my legs shaking and the only thing I heard was my teeth chattering!

Had I been in the timber perhaps the story may have been different
shrug[1].gif

I have trail cams set up watching several strutting areas...but the whole week I only got one tom (not strutting) and one hen.

Cold and calm usually means action...but cold and windy...not so good.

The NWS shows better weather for next weekend...can't imagine it being worse!
smirk.gif

Cold and windy here as well. We set record lows 2 days in a row. I got NO action from the birds this weekend at all. I don't mind freezing my butt off if there's a chance of putting a bird on the ground, but this weekend was a total bust. At least the bugs went back underground.

Top Bottom