Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Corn Plots- Need Help!

petherss

Hi guys. I know I'm REALLY early asking about planting corn but I want to start looking around for 'broken bag' deals at my local coops.

I'm looking at putting in about an acre plot (all the room I have) for #1) extra bedding cover and #2) hopefully a late season food source. Luckily deer density isn't out of control where I hunt. I have planted brassicas as well as a clover/alfalfa mix, so I know how to plant the smaller seeds that you don't have to drill in.

My question is....what type of row spacing, etc would you recommend? The guy I talked to at the coop said most farmers around me are putting around 30k kernels/acre in right now. He suggested going with more like 18k-20k for a food plot. I'm thinking that's exactly opposite of what I want. I want a high density mat of corn that will still yield some corn for later in the year. Why am I wrong (I am assuming that I'm wrong)?

Ok, next question.....how to prep a field for corn? My plan is to spray, wait till burned, disc, wait until new growth, then burn then plant. I don't have a cultivator- do i need to buy RR corn? Thanks to all the experts in advance!

BC

Take a look thru this thread on planting corn and soybeans to give you some general ideas.

Give us some more feedback on what equipment you have or will use...or if you are hiring it planted?

Are you going to broadcast it or use a planter? (you mention a disc but not a planter)

Corn loves nitrogen...LOTS of it...but read thru the corn thread and see what I have used on mine including herbicides and problems you might encounter.

I'm no corn growing expert, but also consider getting some free corn from organizations like Pheasants Forever or NWTF. I know I have turned down multiple bags of free seed corn in the past that was available via one of these organizations, I just can't remember which...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BUCKCRACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi guys. I know I'm REALLY early asking about planting corn but I want to start looking around for 'broken bag' deals at my local coops.

I'm looking at putting in about an acre plot (all the room I have) for #1) extra bedding cover and #2) hopefully a late season food source. Luckily deer density isn't out of control where I hunt. I have planted brassicas as well as a clover/alfalfa mix, so I know how to plant the smaller seeds that you don't have to drill in.

My question is....what type of row spacing, etc would you recommend? The guy I talked to at the coop said most farmers around me are putting around 30k kernels/acre in right now. He suggested going with more like 18k-20k for a food plot. I'm thinking that's exactly opposite of what I want. I want a high density mat of corn that will still yield some corn for later in the year. Why am I wrong (I am assuming that I'm wrong)?

Ok, next question.....how to prep a field for corn? My plan is to spray, wait till burned, disc, wait until new growth, then burn then plant. I don't have a cultivator- do i need to buy RR corn? Thanks to all the experts in advance!

BC </div></div>

I'm definitely not a corn expert, but I would check out dbltree's thread on corn & beans. He has some good advice.

As far as the burning and all of that, from what I've learned that is not necessary. You can grow a good corn plot with just tilling under the present cover and planting, and then killing the weed growth at the appropriate time. Corn will grow more ears with more nitrogen, and the only way to get that is to 1.) add more nitrogen to the soil and 2.) killing weeds which also love nitrogen. The 3.) is to try and keep your deer off of the corn before its meant for its intended use, which depending on your area can be difficult.

I planted an acre of corn this year and the deer killed it before it could even reach a decent height. Next year its either more acres of corn or I'll have to find a more suitable late season forage which I'm thinking will come in the form of brassicas after a clover cover crop, except this year my deer won't eat the brassicas, so I'm stumped.

Live and learn.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to check out that post when I get a little more time. I have pretty much nothing for implements right now. I have a 29hp New Holland and a cultipacker. My neighbor has a 3 bottom plow and discs. I can borrow a sprayer. For this reason, I'm thinking about asking my neighbor to help me prep the area and having a local farmer come over and do the actual planting of the corn. I would rather not use herbicides but rather cultivate between rows at the appropriate time BUT.......ugh I don't have a cultivator. Looking more and more like hiring the farmer to do it all. Thanks again for the responses.

BC

Top Bottom