Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cost of a shoulder mount in IA?

sw outdoor nut

I know it varies so much, but I was wondering what most people pay to get a quality mount done? I am not talking about someone who just started in the business or does it on the side (no pun intented), just a round about price for a mount that looks good and will last. I am closer to the Neb side so I wanted to get a feel on what's out there. Thanks!

Gary Hendricks from glenwood and Roger Fiola from council bluffs are the best in the SW IMO. I think there rate is somewhere around $525 to $560 range. They will last a life time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wiggleworm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gary Hendricks from glenwood and Roger Fiola from council bluffs are the best in the SW IMO. I think there rate is somewhere around $525 to $560 range. They will last a life time.</div></div>

There is also Doug Brinks in Omaha Nebraska. Doug is a world class taxidermist and his work is phenomenal.. And just as cheap..

$450 for top notch work is about right, I know a guy by Ottumwa (who did the albia buck) and that's what he charges. I brought to another guy who charges $490 and the work as good as I've ever seen.
I think when you are talking over $500 - that's just way too high and I believe you can get TOP NOTCH premium work for under $500.

Kickers N Stickers taxidermy (J.D. Vandenburg) out of Elkhart - central iowa - $400 or something

trained under Joe Meder. great work

Joe is the best there is... $540. As long as he is around no one else will do my mounts. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif I have a deer mount from 1998 the looks like it just came out of his studio. #8 and #9 are in there now. The guy is world class and has forgot more than most taxi's know. The soap box is vacant now... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

BRINKS Taxidermy out of Omaha Nebraska $475 for a shoulder mount and by far the best work i have seen anywhere

Rod Watson "Fuzzy" in Anita Iowa, used to be 325-375 and I will say he has the best mount for the money I have ever seen. I paid 425 somewhere else last year and I would way prefer Fuzzy and he will have it done for the deer classic, if the deer is large enough. Trust me it is worth the cost and he does great work.

I've had great luck with Durk Sterner out of Lone Tree. Durk just completed the Joe Meder in house taxidermy class as well so I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing my next mount.

Durk runs $410

I thought that Joe Meder was around $600-650? I know Brad Coulson from ankeny is around $600-625. Rick whitaker i also thought is around $600.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had great luck with Durk Sterner out of Lone Tree. Durk just completed the Joe Meder in house taxidermy class as well so I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing my next mount.

Durk runs $410 </div></div>

My first 3 mounts I had done by Sterner before I went to taxidermy school.. He usually jumps about $10-$20 per year.. my first mount by him was $300.. He oughta be making a killing at $410.. I remember one year he told me he had 55 deer heads to mount!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AIRASSAULT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had great luck with Durk Sterner out of Lone Tree. Durk just completed the Joe Meder in house taxidermy class as well so I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing my next mount.

Durk runs $410 </div></div>

My first 3 mounts I had done by Sterner before I went to taxidermy school.. He usually jumps about $10-$20 per year.. my first mount by him was $300.. He oughta be making a killing at $410.. I remember one year he told me he had 55 deer heads to mount! </div></div>

Costs rise along with everything else, and that class he took wasn't free. When you're a taxidermist who does quality work you're in demand, might as well charge what you're worth.

Again, can't wait to see the finished product stuffy!

There's a few right around me charging anywhere from $375-$500. 3 of which do well over 100 heads a year. I've seen great work, good work, and bad work but $600 for a deer mount. That's highway robbery.

I hunt on a paper thin budget and taxidermy is just not in the budget, especially when we start talking 4 bills. I've got licenses to buy next year, equipment I want.......

Hunting Addiction Taxidermy in Des Moines Charges $350 for shoulder mounts and does excellent work. His Name is Kyle and has won some awards as well. Best thing about his work is he is very picky about how his final mounts look like. If anyone needs his number I could give it to you. He also did a coyote for me that own first in a contest in minnesota.

Interested in how the needle has moved 15 years later. Where are some of the better taxidermists and what are their rates?

I suspect the rate hasn't risen as fast on mounts as it has on most other things. $450 back in 2008 rising at an annual 3% rate would be $700 today. I'm guessing that's about right

Top Bottom