Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

coyote hunters and their dogs.

outastater

I have a farm in SE Iowa. Last weekend the local coyote hunters ran their dogs through it while my son and I were doing some tsi work. Went out to the road to chat with the guys to tell them they didn't have permission, well turns out they don't need permission. Their dogs can go anywhere on anyones ground. They just have to make an attempt to catch them if you ask them to. That came from the CO. Has anyone had this happen and how did you deal with it? Thank you for any help. I tried reasoning with them but they know there is nothing you can do. All dogs had garmins on so they knew where they were and where they were headed.

Been there and it is frustrating.

I saw a truck stop on the south road, jumped in my vehicle and raced down there. They saw coyote tracks crossing the road in the fresh snow and were getting ready to launch dogs. They asked me if I owned the property to the south, which told me they didn't know who did.

We had a little discussion. :D They said that they couldn't control where their dogs ran. I said if the dogs stayed in the kennel on the truck, they'd know exactly where they were at. ;) I wanted to pheasant hunt my property that day and the last thing I wanted was someone's coyote dogs busting all the pheasants out.

They didn't put dogs on the ground that day.

if they don't have permission and they use the excuse "i can't help where my dog goes" and they have rifles in their hands following their dogs(obviously coyote hunting) i'd warn them the next time i'm sooting your dogs with the excuse "there running deer". Been there, I coyote hunt,but i call and one day i was out on my land did a set of calls, waiting and looking, and accross my swamp is 3 dogs and 5 guys trampling through my property coyote hunting without my permission and i went over to them and told them whats what. I'm not against coyote hunting with dogs, but it seems some coyote hunters think because they're hunting coyotes they can run where ever they want without permission because their coyotes. I'm in minnesota and your dog has to be under control it just can't wander, so the excuse i can't help where my dog goes don't work here and it's legal to shoot dogs(not that i want to) that run deer.

This isn't the first time this has happened. The guys never leave their truck so they aren't trespassing, but they know they don't have permission they just let the dogs do the trespassing. I think the Iowa Coyote hunters catch phrase is "Dogs can't read a sign" Heard that from every one of these guys last weekend. Wish Iowa had better laws dealing with running dogs and who is responsible.

I love dogs and I couldn't do it myself but I know plenty of people who would just shoot the dogs.

The animal is trespassing and disturbing wildlife. You felt your family was endanger from a pack of dogs. I thought it was a coyote. It was aggressive towards me.

You know actually unloading a clip in the direction of their dogs without hitting any would send a pretty clear message to their owners who thought you just missed this time.

Watched yote hunters pick up and toss their dogs over my 48 inch woven wire.Had yote dogs get in feed lot chase all the cattle in a corner and 5 died from trampling the others.Horses ran into barb wire. One guy lets them run loose yr round on everyone. During deer season makes a good excuse to run deer off of a ground so buddys can hunt them.

Shoot the dogs? That would take a manly man. Its the irresponsible dog owners fault not the dogs. A guy south of my parents shot a coyote dog with a 22 two years ago and ended up paying the vet bill. Letting them loose on your property that's different from having them run one on your ground and not being able to catch them before they cross the road. I've been on the other side of the situation and it happens. Not intentionally. For those that say shoot the dogs, you must not be dog owners. Or if you are you must keep your dog locked up at all times. Because if your dog crossed into the neighbors yard you would be ok with them shooting it? Dogs are dogs. It's the hunters responsibility to keep them off your property. Sh#tty deal I know.

I would not hurt the dogs but I would make it known that trespassing will not be tollerated. That is the most messed up law rule or old folk lore crap I have ever heard.

why do people think this is ok??? or is it just me?

Shoot the dogs? That would take a manly man. Its the irresponsible dog owners fault not the dogs. A guy south of my parents shot a coyote dog with a 22 two years ago and ended up paying the vet bill. Letting them loose on your property that's different from having them run one on your ground and not being able to catch them before they cross the road. I've been on the other side of the situation and it happens. Not intentionally. For those that say shoot the dogs, you must not be dog owners. Or if you are you must keep your dog locked up at all times. Because if your dog crossed into the neighbors yard you would be ok with them shooting it? Dogs are dogs. It's the hunters responsibility to keep them off your property. Sh#tty deal I know.

Sure it's not the dog's fault. Dogs can't read signs, and the last thing anyone would want to do is to shoot a dog. But you can't beat the $hit out of the dog owner, or you'll go to jail. The CO can't do anything because the humans aren't trespassing. Something doesn't seem right about this to me. What would be the alternative option? I haven't seen a viable option yet. If these guys don't have permission, where are they getting their shots on the coyotes? Roadways? There must be something that can be done to deter this type of hunting, or at least something illegal about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hunting coyotes with trained dogs. I think that would be an absolute blast, but the way it sounds like some of these guys are doing it, certainly does not seem ethical and legal would be a stretch.

People turning dogs loose intentionally on someones ground is BS. Everyone knows it. You cant shoot the dog owners, you cant beat them with a tire iron until they get the point and I am sure you will.get in a fight, shoot out or go to jail if you shoot the dogs.

I think the best bet would be to have a 3rd party in the woods that kills the dogs then gets out of there unnoticed. It sucks to shoot dogs because the owner is an idiot but I have heard of it happening many times.

I also wonder if someone caught the dogs and tied them to a tree if you could get them for trespassing when they came to get them. I doubt it, probably some gay law against that too.

I guess I don't have a solution. Try your best to catch the dogs before they get onto the property. I've seen dogs run coyotes over 5 miles. The bad part about it is coyotes are smart critters they know where their safe. If they elude hunters by going on your property once 9 times out of ten they will head that way again. I guess you could say don't turn the dogs loose near my property but that's not going to sit real well. Good hounds are tough to catch. They have one thing on there mind and that's to catch up to whatever they are tracking. Anybody that's ever tried catching a "good" hound knows when their tracking they don't come to name calling. A coyote and a pair of dogs can make short work out of going through a couple sections as well. Best bet is figuring out where the coyote crossed and waiting on the tracks for the dogs if you can get there in time. Those days should be mostly over though with GPS tracking collars, but mistakes do happen. I guess I don't understand why this is such a huge deal unless it continues to happen. Are you afraid the dogs will scare the deer off your farm and they will never return? Or is it just the fact that somebody or something crossed the fence onto your property? Either way unless it happens again I wouldn't lose to much sleep over it. I might catch some crap for saying that but I can handle it. Also remember if it wasn't for those coyote hunters you wouldn't have as many deer on your farm. Studies show high coyote numbers can take a toll on fawns and with everyone on here complaining about deer numbers being down I think the last thing anybody would want is more dead fawns. I also want to make it clear that I'm not talking about the guys that turn dogs loose on a coyote they know is on your property or the guys that lift the dogs over your fence that's just stupid and theres no excuse for that. As far as tying the dogs up and waiting for them to come get them I would assume that they would have the right to go get them just like if your coon dog treed a coon on a posted property.

I'm an avid bow hunter and also hunt coyotes with hounds. We do our very best to stay out of AREAS that we do not have permission. We even avoid hunting areas while deer seasons are going on to not disrupt fellow hunters. Unfortunately it takes one person to give a bad name for others. I can tell you that shooting a dog "running deer" is not a good choice.... it's actually the worst. A gentlemen once shot a couple of dogs and tossed them in a pond with the tracking collars on them. The dogs were still able to be tracked and needless to say the guy was in a lot of trouble. To be honest a deer does not find a dog near as big a threat as it does a person and is not very likely to leave a negative inprint on the deers mind. And as far as trespassing you can recover your dog just as you would recovering game.

Sorry Liv4rut. Dog owner has the right to retrieve his dog just like a deer hunter has the right to retrieve a down deer.

I have a farm in SE Iowa. Last weekend the local coyote hunters ran their dogs through it while my son and I were doing some tsi work. Went out to the road to chat with the guys to tell them they didn't have permission, well turns out they don't need permission. Their dogs can go anywhere on anyones ground. They just have to make an attempt to catch them if you ask them to. That came from the CO. Has anyone had this happen and how did you deal with it? Thank you for any help. I tried reasoning with them but they know there is nothing you can do. All dogs had garmins on so they knew where they were and where they were headed.

I live in se Iowa also and they had a big coyote dog competition last weekend in my area. I heard the dogs on the neighbors running but never heard or saw them any further than that. The biggest problem i see this time of year is when they go onto your property to get there dogs( which is legal)!! I can promise you that most of them in my area will pick up every shed they see and take them out with them (which is not legal)!

Got a call from neighbor of our farm in SE iowa, wanting to let the groups hounds run our properties for the coyote tournament. In years past he has known my opposition. I called him, and left message hounds could run through but no one in there with guns. I get a call from the neighbor/"friend" Monday, "we didn't hunt the area cause the guys thought it was a waste since they couldn't go in with guns, you made some enemies". When I was there sunday the barn light was shot out. These are the same scumbags that threw 2 piles of 3 deer each in the road ditches with only the backstraps cut out for coyote bait to start their dogs. They shoot deer to leave for the coyotes. Caught the son of one of the guys in the "coyote group" on camera stealing sheds and trespassing 2 years ago and prosecuted him. Don't tell me they won't pick up sheds. I don't want them on my property period. I have dogs and like dogs. I don't like uncontrolled dogs, cats, ect. I will shoot any dogs from now on. There will be snares and traps out which could injure dogs. When they have a dog or two injured they will stop. I thought I was pretty decent letting them run the dogs through. Now screw em. Even a C.O. has posted his land with NO DOGS signs.They can control their dogs just as I control mine. Go hunt public land if the private ground you have isn't large enough. As with many of you we bought land because of the problem of obtaining permission, or losing ground to sales or leasing. We bought land to deer hunt on and use as we please. Not to let the local scumbags coyote hunt, trespass on, and steal sheds and stands on.

Very interesting. It's almost uniform that Iowa's party hunting loophole needs fixed. Almost every deer hunter would agree that allowing me to buy a doe tag and then shoot bucks on someone else's tag is taking advantage of the system. I'm a non resident and the law is meant for 1 every 3 years of hunting.

Now why is hound hunters taking advantage of a known loophole to go on someone's property without permission any different.

The reason is in the 1st scenario the outcome is negative for you. NRs are taking advantage of the system. The 2nd scenario is an advantage for you, thus you agree with it.

Both cases are wrong so if you agree with one you should agree with the other.

Or this example

How would you act if I walked into your house to get a drink of water without being invited.

My land is like my house. I paid for it, you did not. Therefore you are not allowed in it or on it unless I say so. Period end of discussion. Why is this hard for people to understand?

What if I locate a big buck on my place and I start tracking him and he crosses a property line and I continue after him. I didn't know it would take me that long to find him, but once the hunt is one there is no stopping me. I have a one track mind. I'm going to get a shot at that big buck.

There is right /wrong and loopholes.

stickbow said:
Got a call from neighbor of our farm in SE iowa, wanting to let the groups hounds run our properties for the coyote tournament. In years past he has known my opposition. I called him, and left message hounds could run through but no one in there with guns. I get a call from the neighbor/"friend" Monday, "we didn't hunt the area cause the guys thought it was a waste since they couldn't go in with guns, you made some enemies". When I was there sunday the barn light was shot out. These are the same scumbags that threw 2 piles of 3 deer each in the road ditches with only the backstraps cut out for coyote bait to start their dogs. They shoot deer to leave for the coyotes. Caught the son of one of the guys in the "coyote group" on camera stealing sheds and trespassing 2 years ago and prosecuted him. Don't tell me they won't pick up sheds. I don't want them on my property period. I have dogs and like dogs. I don't like uncontrolled dogs, cats, ect. I will shoot any dogs from now on. There will be snares and traps out which could injure dogs. When they have a dog or two injured they will stop. I thought I was pretty decent letting them run the dogs through. Now screw em. Even a C.O. has posted his land with NO DOGS signs.They can control their dogs just as I control mine. Go hunt public land if the private ground you have isn't large enough. As with many of you we bought land because of the problem of obtaining permission, or losing ground to sales or leasing. We bought land to deer hunt on and use as we please. Not to let the local scumbags coyote hunt, trespass on, and steal sheds and stands on.

Have they been prosecuted for wasting the deer meat or is this just an assumption you came to? You say you know they are doing this, seems like an easy fix. Especially with a C.O. close enough that you know he post no dog signs on his property. You also said that you gave them permission to use dogs but not carry guns and that would have been the perfect opportunity for them if they are as bad of people as you portray to take the guns in anyways. Instead they decided not even to go in there and shoot your barn light out? Which I assume you have proof of as well. Just doesn't add up to me that these "bad" people had the perfect opportunity to go on your land steal your sheds and tree stands but opted not to go and shoot out your barn light instead. Another point you made was that from now on you will shoot the dogs when they are on your property. Well if they had permission to let the dogs run through your property and didn't do it what makes you think the dogs will ever be on your property again? Then again there might be a time when they don't get them caught and they do happen to cross your fence but I guarantee the last thing you want to do is shoot them if these people are as bad as you make them out to be.

hoosierhunter said:
Very interesting. It's almost uniform that Iowa's party hunting loophole needs fixed. Almost every deer hunter would agree that allowing me to buy a doe tag and then shoot bucks on someone else's tag is taking advantage of the system. I'm a non resident and the law is meant for 1 every 3 years of hunting.

Now why is hound hunters taking advantage of a known loophole to go on someone's property without permission any different.

The reason is in the 1st scenario the outcome is negative for you. NRs are taking advantage of the system. The 2nd scenario is an advantage for you, thus you agree with it.

Both cases are wrong so if you agree with one you should agree with the other.

Or this example

How would you act if I walked into your house to get a drink of water without being invited.

My land is like my house. I paid for it, you did not. Therefore you are not allowed in it or on it unless I say so. Period end of discussion. Why is this hard for people to understand?

What if I locate a big buck on my place and I start tracking him and he crosses a property line and I continue after him. I didn't know it would take me that long to find him, but once the hunt is one there is no stopping me. I have a one track mind. I'm going to get a shot at that big buck.

There is right /wrong and loopholes.

You again? Hopefully you are smarter than a dog with the one track mind deal, but since you posted it....... And the whole I wouldn't walk into your house, or drive your truck stuff come on. We are talking about dogs not humans. I'm not too concerned with the tag loophole. Out of staters would have to allow residents on their property in order for that to play out, so come on over.

The dog is their property and they have the right to retive it if it is properly tagged. In iowa that means they have to have an owner ID tag as well as rabies tag. If the dog does not have a rabies tag it is not properly tagged and they do not have the right to retrieve it. They can not claim it as their property. Many of these people give their own vaccinations and do not get rabies tag.

This is insane. Why cant people understand that landowners bought that land for themselves? I bought it because NO one and I mean no one would let me hunt so I bought my own. It would be nice if I got to go everywhere and hunt no matter where and could just oh well shrug it off. Look I'm not hard to get along with but when I say no I freggin mean no! I have just had to deal with the neighbor and the comment that am I gona be a good neighbor and let him walk my property? my answer to my friend was hell no. He has his I have mine and thats that. That does not make me a bad guy.
I think the yout dogs should only go where they are allowed and no way should people be able to trespass on your land. Man are people drinking some funny water or is it me?

Lets just get rid of all private property is what your telling me. Well I just may set up a tent on your front lawn. Please bring me a beer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom