Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbow Survey

Correct me if I am wrong please.

The current crossbow hunting seasons in Iowa for those with "permits to hunt" opens the 1st day of bow season, and continues through the last day of deer season in January including the special late doe harvest seasons. I don’t think (I am not positive) that crossbow hunters cannot hunt during shotgun season can they?

I don't hunt with either and have never shot a crossbow. What are the objections based on? Access, "more deadly", range, competition, etc? I have heard that people will use them as a substitute for practice because they are easier to shoot. If this makes for better shots and less wounded/lost deer wouldn't this be better? I would think that the challenge of drawing and holding wouldn't be there but that sounds more like a personal reason for the weapon you choose almost like compound vs recurve vs traditional. I think that slob hunters are going to be slobs no matter what they use so I can see all the opinions but when it gets to a debate or discussion with the DNR and the people that lobby for the crossbows- there will need to be more reason than I don't like it.

Blake
This was taken from Ia. code.According to section one, permits are for archery season.This isn't the complete code just the highlights.
Thanks to Blind Sow for getting me the info.

571-15.5(481A) Authorization to use a crossbow for deer and turkey hunting during the bow season by handicapped individuals. "Handicapped" means a person possessing a physical impairment of the upper extremities that makes a person physically incapable of shooting a bow and arrow. This includes difficulty in lifting and reaching with arms as well as difficulty in handling and fingering.

15.5(2) Application for authorization card. (I'm not including all just the main part) The application must include a statement signed by the applicant's physician declaring that the individual is not physically capable of shooting a bow and arrow.

15.5 (4) Validity and forfeiture of authorization card. A card authorizing the use of a crossbow for hunting deer and turkey will be valid for as long as the person is incapable of shooting a bow and arrow. If a conservation officer has probable cause to believe the person's handicapped status has improved, making it possible for the person to shoot a bow and arrow, the department may upon the officer's request, require the person to obtain in writing a current physician's statement.

If the person is unable to obtain a current physician's statement confirming that the person is incapable of shooting a bow and arrow, the department may initiate action to revoke the authorization card pursuant to rule 561-7.16(17A,455A).

15.5(5) Restrictions. Crossbows equipped with pistol grips and designed to be fired with one hand are illegal for taking or attempting to take deer or turkey. All projectiles used in conjunction with a crossbow for deer hunting must be equipped with a broadhead with at least three blades.

Good information to know for this debate.
smile.gif

Thank you elkhunter & Blind Sow.

Well I guess that it is my turn to irratate some people. The crossbow question has come up before and not been resolved but these are my opinons on it. I don't see it as an evil thing. If you really look at the issue cross bows aren't any more accurate or lethal than a modern compound bow. The range isn't any greater even though the draw weights are much higher. The arrows or bolts are much lighter and less stable and carry less energy. Look at the compounds that most people are shooting now. Very sophisticated sight systems with both a rear sight and front sight, shoot through or drop away arrow rests, trigger opperated releases, and let off of upto 90%. I have even seen devices that will lock at full draw until released. Other than the fact that it is held differently what is the real difference?

The next big issue we will face is hunter numbers. With these numbers getting smaller all the time why shouldn't we find ways to recruit more people into the hunting world. I know all the problems about land and places to hunt, but if we don't stop loosing hunters it won't really matter because our political voice will be lost probaly forever. I also think that many hunters who will start with a crossbow will move on to compounds and then to traditional just like many of us already have. Give them a chance before we assume that most crossbow hunters do so only because they are lazy and don't really care about hunting as much as we do.

Reguarding the anual exams for current crossbow users, how would you like to have to get an anual exam to prove that you were fit enought to climb trees, sit out in all kinds of weather, drag deer miles back to the truck, all before you could get a license to hunt deer? The cost of that exam could be dettramental to many elderly hunters. There will be slobs who try to cheat the system no matter what that system is so why punish the good honest hunters just to weed out those few?
There are more points I could make but this has gone to long already, but these are some of the things that need to be discussed honestly not just saying I don't like them so don't allow them. Thanks for letting me ramble!

1. Crossbow in archery season?
-NO
2. Give crossbow their own season ?
-NO
3. Add crossbow to ML season?
-I wouldn't be against it.
4. Add crossbow to regular gun season?
-I wouldn't be against it.
5. Leave crossbow as weapon for the physically challenged only?
-ABSOLUTELY!
6. Have an open and honest discussion with DNR about their thoughts and our concerns on the crossbow issue?
-I think at some point they would have have to get involved, but what would really come out of that discussion?

bowmaker,
The difference that I see between the two weapons is that one is locked and loaded(point and shoot) and the other one you have to draw back in the presence of game. Isn't that enough of a difference? In my eyes, an x-bow is a gun with an effective range of let's say about 30 yards. Some more...some less.

That device that you were talking about that holds a compound at full draw...there's a reason why it's illegal(atleast here in MN). It turns your compound into an x-bow in a way. Those of you that bowhunt...can you think about how easy hunting during the bow season would be if you were able to use a weapon that was locked and loaded and all you had to do was point and shoot?? How many times have you done all your homework, got your stand in the perfect spot, got as scent free as you could, spent endless hrs scouting, get up early..go into your tree and here comes that buck or a doe. You get ready to shoot and he/she busts you moving while getting into position to draw your bow?? Now put an x-bow in your hands and you have a tagged animal. Maybe I'm way off base, but those are my thoughts.

I wasn't trying to irritate anyone, just stimulate discussion on the reasons behind the opposition. I'm sure that my doctor would sign for me on a permit because of my shoulder, I think most would because I don't think many would take that seriously. Look at the abuse of handicapped parking tags or the number of people that should NOT be driving.

Xtec comes through huge!
Being able to draw your bow undetected is such an important part of the hunt and bowhunting in general. I love that challenge.
I feel that bows and cross bows are worlds apart due to the simple fact that Xtec stated.

Bowmaker
Glad to have your thoughts,just want to clear up one thing.
You don't have to have an annual exam,if the DNR thinks you are pulling a fast one,they can ask that you be reexamed.Not sure if this has ever been done.

Couldn't really tell if it was yes or no to all 6 questions. Sorry
confused.gif

I made a post about KY changing there archery season a couple months ago and took a beating that I was against it? Where was everybody at to help me???
shocked.gif

Oh, well. I'll give my two cents. I am with the 90% of you, no crossbows unless your physically not able to pull and hold a bow. KY had a 10 day cross-bow season for years, now it runs from Sept-Jan. 17th. I really don't like it.

By the way, since you can shoot a expanding broadhead (which wasn't available years back), a cross-bow will shoot much better than the average bowhunter that practices daily! I would guess the effect kill range with a cross-bow would be at a mininum of 80 yards with 4X Scope!!! Thats a little further than the average bowhunter will ethically shoot huh. Not good, not good, not good!!!
grin.gif

If a person is disabled and limited to the the use of a compound or recurve, why not let them also enjoy the challenge of archery. The shots still need to be within "range". The crossbows actually have less penetrating power to pass through than what compounds do, and there are still factors of weight of the crossbow, holding steady, and proper centering on the string when pulling back to set them.
I do however believe a permit for a crossow should be reviewed by someone at least every other year. I also believe that anyone that possess a crossbow should be limited to hunting from the ground. It doesn't seem like they should be able to crawl up a tree if they can't pull a regular bow
confused.gif

As for the book, put it into the crossbow method of taken. It's still a trophy to the people that are unfortunate to be able to enjoy the methods we use.
Keep the current qualifications and regulations in tact. We probably have more violations in this state with abused landowner tags than what this issue is about.

Elk Hunter
Sorry that I didn't answer the questions directly. I guess that I am not against cross bows in general. I think that maybe the best solution would be to have a seperate season for them, but I don't know when. I do feel that this issue needs a very honest discussion when the time comes.
I do understand that an anual exam is not currently required. I guess that my sort of smart a** coments were directed at those who were almost demanding that an anual exam be required before issuing a cross bow tag. I think that that would become a burden on most of the elderly and would proably force them out of the sport and would add another level of government control to a very few abusers. As to the "Book" thing it seems easy enough to just add another catagory just like they have done for muzzle loaders.
I do find it curious that the bow hunters for the most part are absolutly aginst crossbows in the archery season but don't really care about the gun season. This tells me that it is not the weapon but the timing and having to share all those big bucks with another class of hunter. I don't mean this as a jab at anyone but, this seems to be the deep down motavation if we are really honest.
I am a bow hunter and have chosen to limit myself to primative equipment, but I don't belive that I am above anyone who shoots a compound. We can't afford to become elitist in this game of hunting and political rights. I have only shot a cross bow once and don't intend to use one in the near future, but the day may come for all of us as we age that this is the only way we can continue this wonderful sport. I wonder what the survey will say in 20 years as the 40 year olds hit sixty and the old bowhunters out number the young ones?

Been reading all this debate and just had to weigh in. I agree with bowmaker.Bow Hunters have to stick together, not be Elitists,or prejudice. CrossBows cannot be considered new, "High Tech" weapons when they were used in Biblical times. The Compound makers, keep coming up with more and more gadgets, to make Bows easier and more accurate to shoot. They cannot be considered Primitive weapons. They are a far cry from the stick and string that Indians used. The big difference pointed out is the motion needed to pull a compound back. At the moment of truth, you pull back, and the animal sees movement, he moves, you let fly, and you end up hiting him not exactly where you wanted. Too far back,, possibly? The deer goes a long way, suffers a bunch, before it dies, or maybe you never find it. This is considered more sporting? Than little movement, so you hit dead on and the deer dies swiftly. Another thought,, with our compounds, if we are careful, and the deer sticks around after one shot, you can nock another arrow. You cannot cock a CrossBow without alot of noisy movement. One shot only. Just some thoughts. Thank You all.

I highly doubt that there would be a massive influx of new hunters during gun/ML seasons, if we allowed crossbows...

I DO NOT think we should allow crossbows into bow season (except for the physically disabled hunters, of course).

I don't see why a gun/ML hunter shouldn't have the option of touting a crossbow, when you can already carry a hand cannon (in gun & late ML season).

JMHO

Add: If you can legally shoot a deer with a handgun during these seasons, why does it matter if you carry a crossbow? I would like some actual feedback here, not just a "No"
grin.gif

Are we just anti-crossbow? From recent posts, I gather we think crossbow hunters, if not physically disabled, are "lazy" people? Are they any more lazy than gun hunters? It's just another weapon to kill a deer with, IMO.

For the record, I have never hunted with a crossbow, and will likely never hunt with a crossbow - unless I get too old to draw a bow
crazy.gif

I am not anti crossbow but to answer the question of allowing them in the gun seasons is a more appropriate place.....it is essentially a force driven arrow rather than a powder driven projectile....both are on a stock. The stock makes them into a firearm...hence putting them in the firearms seasons.

Several references have been made in this post that we have declining numbers of hunters each fall and allowing crossbows would help generate new hunters to the field???? If anything...I see more bowhunters every year and folks that had graduated from the firearms to archery equiptment.

As for the handicapped permit to use the crossbows...there should be a section of the DNR release that would require the physician to determine the re evaluation time length. A more chrinic arthritis or shoulder replacement should not have to go back for a recheck...Stretched or torn ligaments or acute injury should have regular annual or every other year re-evaluations for permit issuance. I fell into the category of a torn rotator cuff in the early 90's and would have qualified for a crossbow permit, however, I felt that if I could climb the tree, I should be able to pull a bow back. I felt it was an unfair advantage for me to hunt with a Xbow if I was able to climb to the stand?????

Not everyone will aggree on this topic in who should be allowed to pack a crossbow or when it should be allowed to use one during the season but I understand everyones point in the replys.

Shredder
There ain't no fire in a cross bow, unless you count the one where you burn it because you can't hit anything with it. "Just couldn't resist". Hunter numbers are declining. We see more bow hunters because there are more dual, gun and bow, hunters now and with modern equipment bow hunting has become more sucessful and it is easier to learn to shoot well.

Avid the only thing I see wrong with your comparison with handguns is that you can't draw a cross bow out of a shoulder holster very fast.

a little long but please read [b/]

i will try to shorten this the best i can, but i feel there needs to be some input from a former user and someone from a state where it is allowed. i'll start off by saying that i am no on either side here, what a person chooses to shoot is their decision not mine, but i do want to kick a few issues around here that i have read. all this info is coming from someone who used to hunt with a X-bow, and that someone is me. i hope i don't offend any one.

i started bowhunting in 1990, i was 10 years old. my dad had gotten me a horton supermag, 6 bolts, a quiver and a horton crossbow scope. now for the first 3 years i had this bow, i didn't get to use it as much as i'd like to, simply because i was unable to pull the 150# draw weight of the bow, so my outing solely depended on my dad being able to take me out and due to his heavy work load i got to use it maybe 10 days out of the hole season each year.

after those 3 years, although not legal
shocked.gif
i had proven my ethics and safety to my dad and he let me waunder out behind the house in the mornings and evenings when i could which still was not often because of too many "extra cirricular" activities. my "extra cirricular" activities consisted of all 3 sports housework and helping out a local farmer so that we could keep our place to shotgun hunt, something my dad instilled in me at a very young age.

through the years i always told myself i was definetly more into the compound bows, they just looked much funner and easier then what i was doing, trust me, i wanted to switch to compound bad. but i never could, why, because i knew how much practice it took and with sports, housework and farmhand left me little time at all to hunt and even practice with my X-bow.

now if some would still like to call me lazy for using one that's fine, although i still loved deerhunting more then anything i still had other loves. all 3 sports meant a bunch to me and i continued playing all 3 through highschool. my biggest love was baseball, so i also played summer leagues, including legion ball which is for guys 16-19. then i went onto college to also play baseball, all the while still trying to keep up on stuff at school, at home and on the farm still not much time. and never got that time until 2001 when i turned 21 and graduated from college.

this brings about my other issue. in 2001 i switched to a compound and boy did i think i had died and gone to heaven. the reason i say that is for many reasons but i'll just tell you my main 3. the first 2 reasons are simple, you ain't gonna find too many more things out there that are as fun to shoot as a compound and man, what a challenge they are. the third reason, most of ya'll will pry be surprised to hear this one, i was blown away as to how much easier it made hunting for me. let me explain! a lot of you have said that the X-bow is no different then a gun and there is no challenge, little do you know that the X-bow is as hard if not harder then the compound.

here are my reasons for that statement. first thing i noticed right off the bat when i switched over was that a compound is much easier to carry through the woods to your stand than an X-bow and my X-bow was even equipped with a sling. it would bag and clang off of branches and twigs no matter how good you were at walking through the woods and no matter how hard you tried to miss them. there heavy and bulky and you definetly can't have one without a sling and boy it is so easy for me now.

reason #2, while your sitting on stand with your compound you can easily hang your bow onto a bow hook. and if you don't already stand out bad enough in the tree as it is, with an X-bow hanging out on a bow hook you might as well forget, besides the bow hook would need some serious re-inforcement to hold an X-bow at your "ready position". forget that with an X-bow, your going to have to hold this thing in your lap the hole ime your up there, trust me, it's not worth it but it's the only way you can be ready when the moment of truth presents itsef.

this leads me to reason #4. i saw in a couple posts about not having to pull up and draw back at the moment of truth. you're right, but take it from me, it's ten times easier standing up and pulling back then it is trying to get your bulky X-bow in position and not to mention raising it up after you have held it in you your lap for countless hours so it wouldn't fall to the ground(it typically weighs about 800# at this time). 10 times less movement with a compound then from an X-bow at the moment of truth, even though you can shoot from the sitting position easier. oh, and getting off a second shot, forget it, on rare occassions, maybe.

reason #5, then i'll quit. although X-bows have moved up quite a bit on the technological scale since i had mine, there really not near as deadly as a compound. i heard mention in another post of people taking 80 yard shots with an X-bow. ridiculous, first if you shoot that far with a bow your not too ethical in my book. i have shot a few of the newer X-bows that my friends have had and still no change in then as far as distance. with my compound i can consistently hit the X more times at 30 yards than you can with a crossbow. when i had mine i never sighted it in over 20 yards once i saw how inconsistent the shot pattern was over 25 yards. this leads to a lot of misses and bad hits with the X-bows. the X-bow may be able to reach out there farther but it is in now way near as accurate as a compound, even with a scope. with my old X-bow i would challenge the worlds shapest shooters at 20 yards. i could robin hood more arrows at 20 yards the you could shake a stick at, but anything over 25 although i was good the bow was inconsistent. not too mention you have to keep the rail lubed up with rail lubricant and keep a constant eye on your arrow being all the way back against the string or it would shoot around corners.

i really did like my X-bow, it allowed me to spend more time in the woods then i ever would have had with a compound growing up. i missed out on a lot growing up and not shooting a compound but being an active kid, i had no choice. IMO those who are able to use a compound but are still using an X-bow, that's perfectly fine, but take it from me, you have no idea what you are missing out on. if you are someone who is able to get the practice time, hands down, you need to use a compound, it's much easier and funner!!!

although, we can't necessarily accuse the X-bow hunters of being a little more advanced then we are with a stock and a trigger or having an advatage bowhunting deer, if we're your going to get that technical with the sport of hunting then we should all do away with scent-free clothing and sprays, deer urines, grunt calls, doe bleats, and many other things we use to give ourselves advantage over the deer and just go to the woods with camo, a stick and string and a good hiding place.

one more thing, in all the states that allow X-bow's, the X-bow numbers are declining in those states and the compound and traditional is on the rise. these are some numbers from ohio in the past 3 years, these are not exact numbers but if my memory serves me right there close to it!
2002/2003---- 42,000+ archery kills(new record at the time), 19,000+ were compound and traditional
2003/2004---- 48,000+ archery kills(new record at the time), 26,000+ were compound and traditional
2004/2005---- new record 57,189 archery kills and 39,000+ were compound and traditional

if a person chooses to hunt with an X-bow, dont degrade them, just let them know what there missing out on. i didn't get to touch on everything but hopefully i changed some minds! some hunters don't have a choice, and most X-bow hunters will step up to compound, a few won't and are lazy but most are not shooting these because there lazy they will step up when they can! allow them during bow season, you're the one with the advantage!

Thanks, hopefully ya'll read it.
Pete

i should state that in my post i made it sound like i worked my a$$ off year round, i was able to hunt a good bit, not a lot, but a good bit while i had my X-bow, but as far as practice time goes the only time i would have had the chance to get a little practice(good practice) time in would have been during season. i still practice during season but very little.

Top Bottom