Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Day of firsts!

77crew

The day started at 4am when cooter pulled in the drive ,day two of trying to get my first long beard ever,and with a bow on top of that .Seeing as this was only my second turkey hunt i left the calling and setup to cooter. We had went to my hunting ground the day before to locate some birds but couldn't get a response ,just as we were getting ready to leave we noticed a tom strutting on the nieghbors pasture. Thinking the bird would come too roost on our side of the fence we set the blind and pulled out . We got in the blind at ten after 5 this morning and waited for the birds to sound of and let us know if we had made the right call. At about 545 the first gobble rang out and i got pretty excited,in the following 30 minutes wit some great calling from cooter we determined that there were at least two toms and one jake in the distance. after a few more calling sessions things had got quiet when i noticed something moving on the ridge to the north of us,then a gobble rang out. It sounded like a jake to me , i told cooter the day before if i got the chance at a jake i was going to take him. About ten minutes later the bird noticed the strutting decoy and within two minutes he had covered the 250 yards between us. At four yards i let the Z7 eat and had my first turkey ever.

Afew more firsts for the morning ,first blood on the new bow ,first double for cooter as he took a tom at 8am from the same setup,i'll let him tell the story, first hunt on video !
I cant thank josh enough for all he did to make this happen, this will be one of my most cherished memories as long as i live.

My tom wieghed in at 23lbs 15oz,1 1/4 spurs, 11 in beard.
Cooters tom was 24lbs 10oz,1 1/2 and 1in spurs, 9 1/2 in beard.
IMG_1196.jpg

Cooters bird.
IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

Great Job and Congrats!! Is that double bull Dark Horse Blind? I haven't seen that camo on them and I am liking it!!

My bird

Well it is 8:30pm and the dust has finally settled from one of the best days of turkey hunting I have had. From trying to get CDs burnt to share with friends and family, to donating our skins to the local taxidermist (Stuffy) and calling and visiting friends to tell the story.

It starts with 77crew arrowing his first bird with all the high fives, a quick picture shoot and acting like a couple of school girls.

A little while later we climbed back in the blind to see if we could seal the deal on my second bird of the season.

With quick camera lesson Steve was ready to shoot some footage. He took advantage of a hen that came in to say hello to the DSD. Right after that I seen a tom strutting across the hey field ridge top. Steve grab the cam off the tripod and started shooting, he got plenty of b roll (thanks again, sorry about your b roll:eek:) The bird worked the full length of the ridge working nearly out of sight. He would look at the decoys but never committed, my calling got nearly no response. With just barely seeing the tips of his fan I thought for sure he had walked out of my life. It had been around hour and a half of watching put on a show he started heading our way. He covered around twenty yards Steve says he ours and starts rolling tape. With some best strutting, spiting and drumming he slow headed towards us. He gets to the fence he tries to slip under it still in full strut. He starts to back up and my heart drop because I think seen something or is spooked. Nope he slides down the fence a foot and ducks through it. I let him come so he clears the blind rods and hub and let the arrow fly. It zips through him with a leap into the air and a few wing beats he lands 15 yards away going right back into full strut. I go into panic knowing my shot must not been the best scrabbling for my second arrow ( witch I told Steve to have ready and then I didn't ). All the commotion from us in the blind had him heading away. I let the second arrow fly soaring to the left of him, this really put him on the move.

After we watched him enter the woods we decided we needed to let some time pass. We hear him doing some flapping, we were both sure that it was him tipping over. After a lengthy recovery we found him buried in a thicket making his last movements. The rest of the day is a blur.

Man what a great day!

Is that double bull Dark Horse Blind?

Yes it is. In lost camo, I really dont like the ground swat. Dont get me wrong Im sure it works fine. Fin & Feather has one left in lost camo and they want $329 for it for those that are intrested. Plus it matches the greats bows on earth:D

Tagged out in Iowa, calling a bird in for some else are also first for me.

3501-2010_4-14_bird.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom