Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

December Hunts

So enjoyable to read your posts Paul. Nicely done. Great role model you must be. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

To say that "I love my wife" would be an understatment, so now that I am forced to take a few days off from hunting whitetails, I decided to quit being a slacker around here and help her out.

I try to be a good husband but fellas...I am a man and even a darn good man can only stand so many honey do's before ya got to get outta the house! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Seemed like a fine day to go for a drive , check some trail cams and...well...anything besides clean ceiling fans or some such... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Since a lot of you will be hitting the woods Saturday and others perhaps just curious of the ways of the whitetail...I saw this today.

12:38 today (FULL MOON) deer were out feeding including these in a field of NWSG of all things!

Mid-daydeer.jpg

Then I caught these in an alfalfa field a few minutes and few miles later...

12-12Deerinalfalfa.jpg

I saw many more that were in field to far back to take pics and when you look at the lunar charts, we can see why.

Dec Hunting Times

Year's Biggest Full Moon Friday Night

Do you believe in the power of a full moon?

I walked into some of my timber to check a cam and watched deer feeding at roughly noon, so if your a "trail watcher" like I am...pack a lunch and stay put Saturday! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I watch pretty closely what deer are feeding in and I think it's pretty clear that when they can "choose", they'll walk thru anything to get to corn stubble but if almost any other food source is close to safe cover...they'll opt for it. Apparantly even NWSG... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

No big suprise to see "that darn cat" was on my trail cam...

11-25-08Bobcatat80.jpg

I had three "cat" encounters this fall while hunting and in each case the cat has run headlong into deer. Each time the deer have bounded madly away! Obviously deer look upon them as a serious treat even though they rarely if ever actually attack a deer let alone kill one.

Despite all that, as they increase in numbers they are bound to "mess up" a fellas hunt every now and then... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Remember...the bobcat quota has been filled so don't be tempted to send a slug after one thise weekend. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Here's the weather for SE Iowa:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saturday: A 20 percent chance of rain after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. Breezy, with a south wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Saturday Night: Areas of drizzle. Cloudy, with a steady temperature around 41. Breezy, with a south wind between 20 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Sunday: A 50 percent chance of rain. Cloudy and breezy, with a high near 49. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Sunday Night: Rain or freezing rain likely before midnight, then snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 15. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Monday: A 40 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 18.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 8.
</div></div>

Now doggone it...I'm expecting some stories and pictures to get me thru this next week, so don't let me down! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Good luck, be safe and...take a kid hunting! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Inbetween the rotten weather and the holidays I didn't get out as much as I hoped but when I did...boy they were really moving!

One by one...

Headintofeed.jpg

two by two

Passinthru.jpg

they came outta the "woodwork"...

Pairabaldies.jpg

trooping across the fields...

Trailadoes.jpg

towards far off corn stubble fields

Turkeysonthehill.jpg

right along with the turkeys

RovingTurkeys.jpg

most of the bucks stuck to cover

Buckinthebrush.jpg

where I waited watching a well worn runway

12-26-08Hunt.jpg

of course only the little ones came by me

Onehorn.jpg

and stood only feet below me...

Closeup.jpg

while the big boys stayed well clear of my "ambush"...

Nextyear.jpg

ahhh well.... fun to see them anyway... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

EveningBuck-1.jpg

soon my anydeer tag is likely to end up on <u>any deer</u> that comes along!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'm hoping to get into the stand for the first 4 days of the New Year. Still have a couple archery tags to fill before the 10th of January....

iowaPete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cuppsy25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the late muzzy season pretty successful? </div></div>

You bet! it can be cold tough hunting in bitter weather but hungry bucks are more likely to be out in daylight hours.

Lots of great harvest pics in the PMA Harvest section... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Give me snow on the ground and standing beans- can't be beat IF you have ground that didn't get too blown to pieces earlier. Hunting pressure, weather and food source is the key (and obviously smart hunting).

Top Bottom