Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer bacon

CamoMan

Do any of you get some of your deer made into bacon? I had heard about it before, but last night, someone gave me a pound of it. Pretty darn good, not fatty, and it doesn't shrink up like regular bacon does. This was half deer and half pork. Kinda pricey, though. Do any of you in Iowa (hopefully, central Iowa) get this done, and what does it cost here? The pack I tried was made in Wisconsin. Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
deer made into bacon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of that...but it sounds good
cool.gif

We have bratwurst and bologna made and they mentioned that they could make lunchmeat from the hinds by shaving it off in slices.

I've meaning to ask them if they cook it some how first or what?

Curious about the bacon..I'll have to ask them about it.

It is awesome!!! I tried some this summer that was made over by Tomah, WI. Wish I had the time to go get some made for myself.

Tried some from Oran locker. It was fantastic! Not fatty at all. I have no clue how they did it but they gave some free samples when I was in there last year.

Edgewood locker makes it.It has good flavor but it reminds me of turkey bacon you get at the store.

[ QUOTE ]
If it's half deer is it ground and then formed? Does it stay together well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most use half vension and half pork, grind, season, mix, form, smoke then slice. It does not fall apart.

We use to make it out of the brisket.Freeze the brisket and use a bandsaw to cut into strips and slow smoke it.We made peperoni the same way,but would grind a mixture of pork,venison,seasoning and freeze,slice thin and smoke.

Kevin - I just got done dry curing and smoking 20 pounds of pork bellies. Sliced it up and vacu-sealed it and froze it. Very tasty. Canadian Bacon is made from the Boneless loins, pepperoni is made from a ground mixture seasoned, and bacon is traditonally made from the belly, or buckboard style from the shoulder or picnic cut.

Shoot me a pm or watch the bowhunter for some info or tips on dry curing and smoking.

This has become a huge hobby of mine lately. LOL

Wow, I kinda wondered if we started talking about FOOD if Supertec would come out from wherever he has been hiding. Good to see you back Chad
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I kinda wondered if we started talking about FOOD if Supertec would come out from wherever he has been hiding. Good to see you back Chad
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks little buddy!

See ya at the classic!
and have the pizza there again!

Top Bottom