Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Carts?

loneranger

anyone here have any experiences with deer carts, for hauling out deer? Any dependable ones? My old one gave out last yr. I have been reading reviews of the Name brands and many have failed, wheels falling off, etc. Don't know a good brand from a bad one now? thanks.

I had an aluminum framed cart that was really light, and i got alot of use out of it. It was narrow and tipped over alot. But it didn't center the deers weight over the axle. Still had to stop every 50 yards with two people pulling. It eventually broke setting it down after lifting it over a fence.

The new one i got this year is an API Ultra Steel Magnum game cart. It's pretty big in size and has a 600 lb capacity. I don't think i'll be breaking this one. Looks like you could fit about 4 people on it. Should last me a while. Look forward to using it, but i sure hope i don't have to take it down a narrow trail.

I have heard other people say not to get carts with plastic wheels. I would assume they break easy in freezing cold temps.

i got the one from cabelas last year for around 100.00, i cant remember the name off hand...it has zero weight on the handle which i thought was cool, i did wheel my buck out last year down in iowa and it was easy...i didnt have to pull through very much timber though so dont know how it would work there...i think if you took your time it would be ok...

I have have the ameristep cart.....got it as a present. I wasn't bright enough to put it together the right way, so the first run with it was not to good. Hopefully, I will be able to give a review on it later. The general construction of the ameristep is far from top notch compared to some I have seen.

I have the Cabela's fold-up cart, and it has served me well. I may have to use it on some pretty steep uphill routes this year. Guess we'll see how that does. The larger wheels sure is an asset when going over debris.

Here's the "poor mans" version... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

This sled has worked well for me for a long time now, keeps the blood out of the back of the truck and slides up over debris real well.

DRV.jpg

We made a "slide" to make loading a one man job.

Rampinup.jpg

No worries about "wheels" falling off at least! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I have found one on Cabelas that has 10 positive comments about and it is onsale now. One thing about a wheeled cart is that you can use it to haul other stuff too.

I have the luxury to drive up to most my spots but when I cant .. The SLED Trick is awsome... I started using sleds when I was younger, when I first started bear hunting. That was the main source to get a bear out and easy 4 wheel drive.. Works great for deer also.

i have the ameristep backpack game cart i like it but when in backpack mode it is heavy.that and its a little narrow and its hard to keep the deer from rubbing on the tire.but we rolled two deer out this year from about a mile and it saved our life.easy to pull when loaded.i found that i like to have some weight forward by your hands or else it leans back and you have to push down on it while you pull its kind of tricky.

Cabela's SuperMag Hauler.
Great deer cart. My uncle has an older model that he has used quite a number of years. I ended up buying one for my Dad a few years ago after borrowing and loving my uncles and the new one is just as great. We use it during nearly every deer season and it even does great in snow. Big wheels roll over everything.

Lung Popper, Cabelas carries the sleds. I took DBL's advice several years ago. I still think it's better than a cart to. I also think one of the Waterfowl stores carries a similar model. Mine gets used all year long. Wife uses it for the garden....I think I gave it to her for "mothers day" one year.

How is the sled going over logs and brush though? I had the Cabelas big cart for yrs. Hauled alot on it over the yrs but last yr the frame finally bent. Guess it can't last forever. Now I am wondering on what to do about a new one. I have read pros and cons on them all.

I also use a sled just like the one Dbltree has a picture of in his post. For the most part, I haul it behind a 4 wheeler and it works slick!

I use a kiddy sled. A couple of bungys to keep the legs and head in and it works really slick. I made longer handles with pipe ends to make it easier to pull.
P1130006s.JPG

It does suck having to go get the sled and drag it back to the woods to retreive the deer. The public hunting ground near me is a good 20 minute walk.

Has anyone tried this product? http://www.deadsled.com/ It would solve the carrying around problem.

It's called man up and throw them over your shoulder... j/k... The sled trick is very nice, if you don't wanna get it shipped and don't need it right away, Sportsmans and Scheels will carry the sleds during ice fishing season, they're cheap too I think our ice sled was like $60? But seriously... MAN UP! :p

I'll give another thumbs up /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif for the plastic sled. Try using the wheeled cart when the snow is two foot deep! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif I am like Rudd and use mine for everything. Yard work, gardening, trapping, ice fishing, pulling the boys around in the snow etc....... I have seen them at Farm King in Burlington very reasonable.

Top Bottom