Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Depredation/Sen Zaun

ElkHunter

Life Member
Senator Zaun has decided to throw in an amendment to Deer Depredation Legislation. If you live in his district please contact him and please ask him to drop amendment. Too much work went into this program to add a few lines that have nothing to do with Dep. program. Basically he wants non res to shoot 2 does before they can shoot a buck & raise non res tags to 12,000. Urbandale & North Polk County is who he represents

<span style="color: #FF0000">E-mail: brad.zaun@legis.state.ia.us
Home Address: 7032 Holcomb Ave., Urbandale, IA, 50322
Home Telephone: 515-276-2025 </span>

This legislation looks funny and isn't clear because the amended works were not crossed out.

15 b. A nonresident who purchases an antlered or any
1 16 sex deer hunting license pursuant to section 483A.1,
1 17 subsection 2, paragraph "e", is required to purchase
1 18 an two antlerless deer only deer hunting license
1 19 licenses at the same time, pursuant to section 483A.1,
1 20 subsection 2, paragraph "f". A nonresident shall
1 21 harvest two antlerless deer before harvesting an
1 22 antlered or any sex deer pursuant to the licenses
1 23 purchased.
1 24 c. The commission shall annually limit to six
1 25 twelve thousand the number of nonresidents allowed to
1 26 have antlered or any sex deer hunting licenses. Of
1 27 the six twelve thousand nonresident antlered or any
1 28 sex deer licenses issued, not more than thirty=five
1 29 percent of the licenses shall be bow season licenses.
1 30 After the six twelve thousand antlered or any sex
1 31 nonresident deer licenses have been issued, all
1 32 additional licenses shall be issued for antlerless
1 33 deer only. The commission shall annually determine
1 34 the number of nonresident antlerless deer only deer
1 35 hunting licenses that will be available for issuance.&gt;

I have emailed and talked to Brad several times and this year he seems to have a total change of attitude toward the deer population. Here is the response I got from him on his ammendment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Corey,

Thanks for the email.

I have not decided what I will do with my amendment. All that I want to do is thin the deer herd in Iowa, I really don't care how we get there.

Brad
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I really dont care" and Legislation don't go well together. </div></div>

That is scary... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Here is an email I received from our lobbyist about the depredation legislation.

The bill passed the Senate on Friday & just passed the
H tonight in the same form. It will now go to the
Governor for his signature.

If the Gov. doesn't mess up the depredation program will be in place. Zaun's amendment died. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Everything about program is faster and streamlined.

1. Faster contact with DNR
2. More depredation officers
3. Farmer will be given series of bar code numbers the day contract is signed, farmer then can give to hunter/hunters of his choice. The hunter takes this bar code to vendor and the license is issued.When tag is filled and harvest reported hunter can get another bar code from farmer.

There were other changes, the DNR will post on their website and have brochures printed.

Top Bottom