Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

? DEER MEAT SPOILING

S

Shooter

I was wondering what kind of time does a hunter have between killing a deer and recovering the carcass in time to to feel save to process the meat. This kind of goes with the recent post of wounded deer during bow season. "Sick cant' find him" Was a post about wounded deer. Say one were to find the carcass a few days later are there any signs to tell wheather the meat is bad or not? Even though one might find the carcass a few days later, he could have died 8 hrs earlier? Any suggestion would be appreciated. I just hate to waste a deer if I don't have to. I plan on finding the one I hit.

I'm not an expert on this subject by any means, but I do know people who age their meat my letting it hang for a few days. I think the perfect temp. is around 40 or 50 degrees. So I'd say that as long as the daytime temps. stay cool you should be ok for a couple of days. The meat might be tainted a little bit just because the deer wasn't opened up and dressed, but I would think it would still be ok.
I shot a mule deer out in CO a few years ago, with daytime temps in the upper 50's. We covered the deer with a tarp on the ground for two days. The temps at night were cold enough that the deer stayed cool throughout the day.
Like I said, I'm no expert, but I think it would be ok for a couple of days. Call a locker, they'd be able to give you some good info.
CRITRGITR

I once found a dead 8ptr on a deer trail.This was on Saturday morning.The blood trail was still red,not dried brown.I tagged that deer on the spot.This deer was arrowed on friday night.The morning temp was 32*.I did not want to let this deer go to waste to the crows.As long as its cool in the evenings (45*) or below,i would take your hit deer.If its warm during the day (65*) or above,i would only let 1 day go by and then let the scavengers have him!

last year my brother shot one at night and did not find it untill the next day. granted it was warmer last yeat that this year. he had the deer processed and he had to through it all away. he said that it had a bad taste to it. the important thing is to get the guts out of it as soon as possible. that is where the gasing is done to the meat if it is not taken care of soon.

Top Bottom