Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

double crop

bjkpharmd

I thought this was an excellent idea that my BIL came up with this year. He broadcast beans in the spring, then before the leaves fell he broadcasted rye into the bean plot. Leaves fell and acted like a mulch and rye sprouted pretty good. Deer usually have this plot cleaned out by now but not as much snow and cold this year. Wouldn't work at my place because the beans never get a chance to get that tall though.
frown.gif
2006_01200006.jpg

Wow, I have heard of doing that but figured you would get a pretty weak stand of rye. Looks like his rye did really well.
Thanks for the pic.

It works best if you can get the rye seed on just ahead of a good rain. Even works in corn if it's not too thick. I know what you mean about the beans...I planted a one acre plot that never got over an inch high!! The deer just mowed them!! I ended up seeding it to clover. I'm going to broadcast rye in some bigger fields of beans this fall and in part of a smaller corn field.
Thanks for sharing the pic!

Top Bottom