Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dwarf Essex Rape and Sugar Beets

trykonhntr

I am going to plant a plot this year and I have 6 Acres to work with. I was wondering when would be the best time to plant the (DER) and Sugar beets? I picked up enough sugar beet seeds to plant about 4 acres and I have 10 lbs. or (DER) seed. I was told to plant them both around the first of August but don't know if that will be enough germination time before the fall frost. Can someone give me some advice please. Thanks

Last edited:
I till, spread and cultipack the last week of July and hope for enough rain to get them out of the ground in good fashion. I have been using clover as green manure but if you are not tilling under anything like that you could spread 70 to 100 pounds of urea an acre then till it in, spread your seed and cultipack. You can also put your nitrogen on the ground ahead of a forecasted rain. If the rain doesn’t come you will lose most of it to the atmosphere. I personally know very little and am just repeating what I have read on these pages. <O:p</O:p

Last edited:
Thanks "DBLTREE" for the info. My Seed salesmen didn't seem to know when to plant them due to the fact that no on he knows has ever asked about them. Thank you again.

Top Bottom